Adelaide United - General Issues and Discussion

The only team for me - Adelaide United F.C!
Discuss the best football club in Australia!

Moderator: Moderators Group

Stuckey
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Whichever Toure is playing
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Sha la la lala lalaaaa AUFC!

Re: Adelaide United - General Issues and Discussion

Postby Stuckey Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:34 pm

Its very sad to read as far forward as the club has moved its still behind in many ways.
I feel the way Weslo act is entirely out of their hands but obviously the can join our voice.
I agree with much of your suggestions Shane marketing and supporter wear has always been a massive concern of mine for the club.
I mean if you take a look at Fulham FC's options who are also sponsored by Kappa their range is far superior
http://shop.fulhamfc.com/retailprods.aspx?cat=97&h=33
http://shop.fulhamfc.com/retailprods.aspx?cat=190&h=33
http://shop.fulhamfc.com/retailprods.aspx?cat=23&h=11
http://shop.fulhamfc.com/retailprods.aspx?cat=48&h=11
http://shop.fulhamfc.com/retailprods.aspx?cat=89&h=11
http://shop.fulhamfc.com/retailprods.aspx?cat=151&h=11
http://shop.fulhamfc.com/retailprods.aspx?cat=152&h=11
No obviously they are an EPL club with far greater resources then us but if you look at what the players wear before matches and at training compared to what is available to purchase there is a large difference. Why not make them even just available to order? If 10 fans want a jacket put in the order with Kappa. Even my local football club could work that one out.
AU doesn't even sell their own away jerseys online!
Time to Djbate!
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:30 pm

Another gripe i have with the promoting of the club is that back in the bianco days tickets were handed out at local clubs for free.

Now im not advocating free tickets to the public. But would it really hurt to hand out 200 tickets every match to new arrivals to this country?

Think about it, your a new migrant and you understand football but you dont understand the country or the customs. You have no real attatchment to your new home apart from those from the same ethnic background as you and you really cannot move beyond this point. You feel maybe you dont belong.

Now suppose the club comes along and says " welcome to your new home you are one of us , sit with us and support our city".
1) these new mirgants will have a sense of belonging , a way to attatch themselves to this new culture that seems so strange for them.

2) if they feel they belong somewhere they will comeback and most likely be forever greatful, ensuring the next generation of au fans.

Maybe im idealistic, but this is what the game is about. These tickets would not have been sold regardless so why not do some good in the community and plant the seed in their hearts. Its not as if you need to sell the game to them as the chances are they are already inlove with the game.

Im sure i was not the only one who had a smile when those african lads a few seasons ago turned up most games with their bells and felt an attatchment to their club.

Its something i feel so strongly about that if there was some sort of initiative where fans could even contribute money towards tickets for new arrivals i would do it every week!!
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
The voice in our head is the final judge
offshorejack
Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isaias

Postby offshorejack Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:48 pm

the least they can do is bring back the "friday night shout"
Stuckey

Postby Stuckey Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:00 pm

the least they can do is bring back the "friday night shout"
I don't know if you have seen but the Nix have a fan encouragement program on their facebook page which basically rewards fans for inviting friends, sharing articles etc with free tickets. Obviously most encouraging friends would be members who can invite friends to games for free.
Great way for the club to support the fans that want to support them.
Time to Djbate!
Shane

Postby Shane Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:07 pm

http://au.fourfourtwo.com/news/260002,a ... m-mls.aspx

Good read.

To add to this, I think it's not at all unrealistic for AU to model or at least take inspiration from all things Portland Timbers do.
I queried the club directly on Red Out Loud and their response was that they are not going to look at the Portland Timbers model.

A real, real shame.
I don't know if you have seen but the Nix have a fan encouragement program on their facebook page which basically rewards fans for inviting friends, sharing articles etc with free tickets. Obviously most encouraging friends would be members who can invite friends to games for free.
Great way for the club to support the fans that want to support them.
Indeed, however our club haven't yet made a connection to 'the people' yet. A long way behind, that's for sure.
Shano. Red to the core.
ChillyPhilly
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Allllllll of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: 'Adelaide, I love you!'

Postby ChillyPhilly Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:16 am

Why is all this an issue, we're asking? What's the reason, the one underlying problem?

Identity. That's the issue with franchises, as much as AU is trying to move away from that model. WSW got it right because they've found an identity. Sydney FC can too - embrace the bling. The trick is to find identity in something other than location.

As much as I think AFL is a load of corporate entertainment hogwash that pretends to be 'sport', look at Port Adelaide in the AFL: working class, mateship, years and years of history. Compare Port with the Crows. The latter arguably has none of this. No social identity.
Adelaide United FC: our club, our city, our state.
Stuckey

Postby Stuckey Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:35 am

Thats why it was such a success to begin with. Adelaide United was the Uniting of the city, IMO the day AUFC was born the HAL was too. We proved that Football has a chance to be as big as AFL or Rugby in not only participation figures. All ethnicities can come together to support one team. That desire is still there and probably won't go away for many, but for many others the flames of desire need to be cindled, but atm they seem to be being left to die.
Time to Djbate!
Schultzy

Postby Schultzy Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:36 pm

Why is all this an issue, we're asking? What's the reason, the one underlying problem?

Identity. That's the issue with franchises, as much as AU is trying to move away from that model. WSW got it right because they've found an identity. Sydney FC can too - embrace the bling. The trick is to find identity in something other than location.

As much as I think AFL is a load of corporate entertainment hogwash that pretends to be 'sport', look at Port Adelaide in the AFL: working class, mateship, years and years of history. Compare Port with the Crows. The latter arguably has none of this. No social identity.
I don't really care for an AFL arguement, but this in bold is a severely biased thing to say (you as a port fan). The crows united the city much like AU in a time when Aussie rules was going national, they were the first team to truly represent the state in that sport.

aside from that I do agree with you to an extent we need to identify ourselves a bit more. One of the things missing from previous years which I know irks some people is the lack of south aussies in the team.
ChillyPhilly
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Allllllll of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: 'Adelaide, I love you!'

Postby ChillyPhilly Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:52 am

Maybe that was a little biased. But it's the strongest argument that comes to mind here in Adelaide.
Adelaide United FC: our club, our city, our state.
kienchil
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Cassio

Postby kienchil Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:27 am

Lack of South Aussies? In the first team?

Osama Malik
Fabian Barbiero
Evan Kostopolous
Ian Fyfe
Paul Izzo

All SA lads!

Even our Braussie Cassio (adopted sure but he isn't going anywhere!)
EdDog

Postby EdDog Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:28 pm

I think we should re-sign Mullen in January - also South Aussie. Or any decent right back :)
bpowell454
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Adlung

Postby bpowell454 Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:52 pm

I wouldn't say no to Mullen. Wouldn't want to spend a heap though.
PedoRyall

Postby PedoRyall Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:45 am

Leave some signs in active support explaining why we are boycotting and then go sit behind the active area or something.
"GONE FISHIN'"
http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/adelaide-united-make-a-stand-against-hindmarsh-stadium.html
Stuckey

Postby Stuckey Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:25 am

One thought I have as far as active support goes. Why doesn't the AUMC set up a acvite support group of their own. Make it the official AUFC active supports group. Have a capo elected by the financial members to lead cheers and represent the group. If the RA or RT want to be part of the group thats fine just like if me and two mates want to create our own group we can but its all under the AUMC banner and all seated in one area.
Hence if you are an active supporter you sit in that area. If you don't agree or don't want to thats fine sit somewhere else in the ground and support your club in your own way.
Time to Djbate!
Max Power
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Robert 20 Goals Younis

Postby Max Power Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:23 am

One thought I have as far as active support goes. Why doesn't the AUMC set up a acvite support group of their own. Make it the official AUFC active supports group. Have a capo elected by the financial members to lead cheers and represent the group. If the RA or RT want to be part of the group thats fine just like if me and two mates want to create our own group we can but its all under the AUMC banner and all seated in one area.
Hence if you are an active supporter you sit in that area. If you don't agree or don't want to thats fine sit somewhere else in the ground and support your club in your own way.
That does make a lot of sense, however you are dealing with egos in the Red Army the size of Hindmarsh. The team comes second to these people.

Just get rid of the 'active areas'. Let people come and go as they please.

Return to “Adelaide United F.C.”