So with clubs dropping like flys

The only team for me - Adelaide United F.C!
Discuss the best football club in Australia!

Moderator: Moderators Group

Stuckey
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Whichever Toure is playing
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Sha la la lala lalaaaa AUFC!

So with clubs dropping like flys

Postby Stuckey Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:14 pm

Can AUFC's owners be blamed for cutting resources back so heavily?
I would rather see AUFC play next year full stop. Doesn't matter where and with who!
Time to Djbate!
shinAUFC

Re: So with clubs dropping like flys

Postby shinAUFC Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:19 pm

Au made massive mistakes fiancially and had some bad luck like having to qualify for aacf cl .

But they got on with it.

Unlike tinklers group who signed a injured marquee player among other things.

Yes the ffa has a part to play in this but tinkler giving up way way to early
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
The voice in our head is the final judge
Stuckey

Postby Stuckey Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:24 pm

Au made massive mistakes fiancially and had some bad luck like having to qualify for aacf cl .

But they got on with it.

$27m later doesn't seem very early to me!
Time to Djbate!
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:03 pm

But they got on with it.

$27m later doesn't seem very early to me!
If tinkler lost 27 million in one year then he should let someone else manage his own money
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
Irish
Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Cassio
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Twist and Shout

Postby Irish Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:55 pm

There's no simple answer to that question.

No is the straight answer. They cannot be blaimed.

However, they have to be vigilant. Moving home grounds and running a squad on a shoe-string budget will damage the supporter base. The club needs to continue to look at other avenues to raise income required to run the club. Some of these have been successful (no example off the top of my head - worrying), some of these have been thus far unsuccessful (membership changes). That will harm the club in a long term-sense.

Robbing Peter is not the way to pay Paul.

At the end of the day on-field performances, club culture and football department management is what will define the finacial success of our club more than most. At the moment the jury is still very much out in that sense.
Stuckey

Postby Stuckey Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:02 am

Robbing Peter is not the way to pay Paul.
That is often what it takes to run a business when the chips are down!
Time to Djbate!
bpowell454
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Adlung

Postby bpowell454 Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:19 am

Would love to see our injured/reserved players selling 'the big issue' at home games from now on to make a little extra money for the club or if they have any musical talent maybe a bit of busking :P
RedNut

Postby RedNut Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:09 am

One thing that sticks out like dogs balls to me in relation to ALL A-League clubs being financially viable is ground/stadium ownership/management.

The Clubs "need" the revenues generated from ticket sales, food and beverage sales, merchandise sales etc.

I know this is not a simple hurdle to overcome but something that all clubs need to work towards in some way.

The cost of Stadium hire seems to be a crippling factor for many clubs and on top of that they don't get any benefit from food/beverage sales etc.

Either way, stadium ownership or management would be a huge step in the right direction for all clubs
General Ashnak
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Pablo Sanchez

Postby General Ashnak Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:34 am

The $27 million loss was actually the combined losses of all the HAL clubs, not NJ in isolation. Hopefully our own losses were less than $1million - but even then that is a huge amount of cash.
Terry Pratchett wrote:
The thing about football - the important thing about football - is that it is not just about football.
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:22 pm

The $27 million loss was actually the combined losses of all the HAL clubs, not NJ in isolation. Hopefully our own losses were less than $1million - but even then that is a huge amount of cash.
Yep that sounds much more likely!! I doubt nj turnover would exceed 8mil let alone a 27 mil deficit.

If the new tv deal coming in pays for every clubs wages as it seems to be widely expected to do so then you would expect it will be much easier from there on.

Which leaves stadium deals the only other major issue ( as already said in this thread)

Call me crazy but im all for using large suburban grounds!! When you what alot of euro leagues you notice there are alot clubs that play in very small suburban style grounds.

-1 tier basic stands, nothing in the corners
-12k ish capacity
-cracking atmosphere

I think this could be done in many places around aus, the down side is a lack of corporate facilities, but surely there much be a happy medium.

All of a sudden a 6-8 k of the smaller clubs now becomes intimidating , neutrals think wow i like this!

Allow local clubs the chance to set up food stalls split the profits.

All of a sudden you got a little club with crowd atmosphere, with all the culture smells tastes and sounds that u should expect at a game!! May be im just an idealist

But i know which style of club id rather be apart of!!
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:25 pm

Yep that sounds much more likely!! I doubt nj turnover would exceed 8mil let alone a 27 mil deficit.

If the new tv deal coming in pays for every clubs wages as it seems to be widely expected to do so then you would expect it will be much easier from there on.

Which leaves stadium deals the only other major issue ( as already said in this thread)

Call me crazy but im all for using large suburban grounds!! When you see alot of euro leagues you notice there are alot clubs that play in very small suburban style grounds.

-12k ish capacity
-cracking atmosphere

I think this could be done in many places around aus, the down side is a lack of corporate facilities, but surely there much be a happy medium.

All of a sudden a 6-8 k of the smaller clubs now becomes intimidating , neutrals think wow i like this!

All of a sudden you got a little club with crowd atmosphere, with all the culture smells tastes and sounds that u should expect at a game!! May be im just an idealist

Stuckey

Postby Stuckey Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:09 pm

Call me crazy but im all for using large suburban grounds!! When you what alot of euro leagues you notice there are alot clubs that play in very small suburban style grounds.

-12k ish capacity
-cracking atmosphere

Thats would be impossible as ylu're asking to FFA to learn from the mistakes of the MLS. Something they have refused to do.
I wonder how much it would cost for AUFC to buy an area of land like Marden.
I've said this many a time but in the MLS, Montreal Impact have a gound called Saputo Stadium http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saputo_Stadium
where three of the four stands are temporary and the current stadium which holds just over 20,000 people cost the club $14.1m Candian dollars or $15m in 2012 money (which is about $14.5m AUD dollars.) Given they have already played a few big matches at the Olympic stadium (one of which got them a crowd of 58,000!)
But how good would that be for AUFC buy some land which a decent footprint build a decent stand with corporate facilities and then just put up three temp stands till the demand grows then tear them down and build a little bigger.
Time to Djbate!
bpowell454
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Adlung

Postby bpowell454 Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:36 pm

That's a good looking stadium stuckey but read again, it holds 13,000 people right now and they are updating it July 2012 to 20,000 at a cost of $23million. Like your thinking though, 15 mil for 13,000 seats isn't bad at all.

Rough Maths-

$15 million divided by 13,000 = $1154
$1154 divided by $25 a ticket = 46

Each seat only needs to be sold 46 times to pay for the stadium which would be max 3 seasons if AUs average stays up around 10,000.

That stadium also includes corporate facilities which can obviously be sold for more, plus any advertising around the ground and merchandise/food stall profits. So maybe pay for itself in 2 seasons...

Google Maps satellite view "The Pines" at Gepps cross, there is a lot of space there, plenty of room for a new expandable stadium and a larger carpark. Call it woolworths stadium and get them to chip in some $ :D
ade-qpr

Postby ade-qpr Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:01 pm

what would it cost to buy Hindmarsh?
Stuckey

Postby Stuckey Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:13 pm

what would it cost to buy Hindmarsh?
Obviously depending on whether to gov would sell it. Which might be possible after the gov finishes their stadium review.
I have heard around the $20M - $30M mark. I think the redevelopment cost $40M at the time.
FYI the repayments on a loan of $20M at 7.25% would be in the range of $135,000 per month.
Time to Djbate!

Return to “Adelaide United F.C.”