Donestic League Wooden Spoon again?

The only team for me - Adelaide United F.C!
Discuss the best football club in Australia!

Moderator: Moderators Group

bpowell454
Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Adlung

Donestic League Wooden Spoon again?

Postby bpowell454 Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:39 pm

If we lose this weekend and GCU manage to beat Brisbane in the Gold Coast, we will be the bottom of the table on goal difference (-18 for us, -11 for them).

Pretty disappointing season, after all the hype pre season about how well we had recruited. I think we were unlucky a couple games but we really deserve to be down there. Poor management saw us gut a respectable 3rd place/semi finalist/ACL qualifying team and throw together a bunch of "fringe socceroos", little known Europeans and some struggling Aussies. I can't see Visosic, Djite, McKain or Galeckovic playing any serious games for Straya' in the near future.

I'm just wondering what others think-

Do we persist with the team we have and maybe try to bring in a couple of new players to replace outgoing ones or do we need to gut the team again and try a fresh start again with a different coach?

I personally would love to have Flores back, keep vido and send him to RW/RM, a new RB and a new coach. If we have the cash a young Australian forward would be good for backup for Djite or a second striker option off the bench.
terry tibbs

Re: Donestic League Wooden Spoon again?

Postby terry tibbs Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:49 pm

Obviously disappointing - and a real lesson.

Wrong players - let go and brought in - and a diminished culture resulted in a season to forget. I've said it elsewhere, but the return of Flores is a an absolute must. As a statement of intent, let alone to bring some class to the pitch.

It's hard to know how deeply to look at it until the coach is locked in, but we'll have to replace SvD and Vidosic at the very least by the sounds of it.

And Bruce's contract should be modified to include him having a ball at his feet everywhere he goes, every single day. Work on the touch, Brucey! :D
bpowell454
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Adlung

Postby bpowell454 Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:59 pm

And Bruce's contract should be modified to include him having a ball at his feet everywhere he goes, every single day. Work on the touch, Brucey! :D
Extra shooting practice from 6 yards with an open goal too :D
shinAUFC
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter

Postby shinAUFC Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:26 am

Lets assume serge and vidosic are going imo this is almost fact (reading between the lines)

We have bruce , we know he is quality just needs some love.

Caravella is quality, but is best suited to a short passing game ( not something kossie can deliever)

Malik to me is a real unsung hero could be the next partalu.

Ramsay and golec have alot to offer but need to be used correctly

Cassio is cassio! But how long will that be i hope he has a good number of quality years left.

So lets pay big cash for a number ten!!! If its not flores then find someone else but need to be an absolute star

A fast striker/ winger is a must .

Im predicting next season will be the year of mckain and melling , i think both will have big years for their own reasons
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
The voice in our head is the final judge
sevengoals
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: all of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Expand the league now!

Postby sevengoals Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:48 am

I don't think we will end up with the wooden spoon.

I believe we need stability at the club.
In management, coaching, playing style, and with the squad.

B)
" There was, he added, no room for spin, showmanship, hubris or “any of the feelings of invincibility” that so often shackle nations with an imperial past ... " - - -

Pies: 3867

No Roots, No Growth!
Hammerzeit

Postby Hammerzeit Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:00 pm

So, the question is: Do we value stability and a step by step approach to building our next level of success, or do we see little value in what we have and require a complete rebuild?

If the club values the former, given the effects of the last revolutionary rebuild, Kossie will be given the job. If we value the latter, does anyone see Kossie as the man to reinvigorate the club and build a team with a long term legacy?

Personally I think Kossie got the short term job for stabilities sake, so have things (on field performance and off-field morale) improved enough to warrant a continuation of that policy?
Stuckey
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Whichever Toure is playing
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Sha la la lala lalaaaa AUFC!

Postby Stuckey Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:50 pm

So, the question is: Do we value stability and a step by step approach to building our next level of success, or do we see little value in what we have and require a complete rebuild?

If the club values the former, given the effects of the last revolutionary rebuild, Kossie will be given the job. If we value the latter, does anyone see Kossie as the man to reinvigorate the club and build a team with a long term legacy?

Personally I think Kossie got the short term job for stabilities sake, so have things (on field performance and off-field morale) improved enough to warrant a continuation of that policy?
Personally in the climate of Australian football. I don't really see the point in slowly building a legacy unless the club's youth set up is so good you have kids lining up to walk into the senior squad, something AUFC does not have.
If you build an amazing squad over couple of seasons and start to win things you will obviously create attention for yourself. So naturally those players that are starring for you are going to be taken by clubs with more money then us (everyone.)
So IMO HAL clubs need to take a season by season approach to their squad. Play the season assess whos in contract and who we need while in the background invest heavily in youth development in the hope soon that these kids can take the rains when AU either succeed enough to lose (yet cash in) the stars we have or get rid of them due to poor form.
Time to Djbate!

Return to “Adelaide United F.C.”