nominations for new coach for next year

The only team for me - Adelaide United F.C!
Discuss the best football club in Australia!

Moderator: Moderators Group

craketo
Proud Adelaide United Supporter

Re: nominations for new coach for next year

Postby craketo Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:29 pm

Merrick is an extremely unlikely candidate, the board would have to be extremely naive if they think even half of the clubs fans will get behind him as our coach. Thats nothing against him as a coach personally, just about his association with undoubtedly our biggest rival, especially when they seemed to have the wood over us so badly in his time as manager.
IM still hoping for someone like Lawrie McKinna, his philosophy at Central Coast, the way he galvanised the squad and compactness of their defence and style moving forward would suit our squad very nicely and imo see us much further up the table than we currently are.
Agostinho
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Jeronicello Ferreira

Postby Agostinho Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:35 pm

FWIW I always thought Melbourne's success was in spite of Ernie, not because of him.

I'd be devastated if we appointed him.

Thankfully I think it's pretty unlikely. He's coaching the HK national team isn't he?
#WeAreUnited
Futbol_Crazy21
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isaias
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: all of them

Postby Futbol_Crazy21 Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:08 pm

well whats wrong with that its just my opinion just like your entitled to one, you must be ateenager with comments like that lol how many years you been watching soccer for ? or a you a bandwagoner? or val in disquise? :lol: its like saying in 3 years time postecoglou won it when the league was crap, seriously that comment wears thin like saying when brazil won aworld cup evryone else was crap lol
Seriously dude merrick would add nothing to our club besides laughter from our opposition. As I said before, as Irish said, as every MV supporter was saying, merrick cannot cut the mustard in the A-League. If we are going to let Kossie go, for reasons of inept football tactics. Then why would we hire a manager that was sacked for the same reasons at MV? and don't say "oh but he has won the league twice" because the league has moved passed long-ball tactics in which merrick employed, you can't win the league with it. I doubt very much they he can develop youth at the level CCM and BR do. His record in the ACL is dreadful and not to mention he did come from MV.

"its like saying in 3 years time postecoglou won it when the league was crap, seriously that comment wears thin like saying when brazil won aworld cup evryone else was crap"

I never said "crap" I said the quality was less, and no one would say that about Ange because he went 36-games unbeaten and whether the quality of the league was better or worse that is quite an achievement. Also your comment about Brazil was just stupid because you can't compare club football with world football.

"you must be a teenager with comments like that lol how many years you been watching soccer for ? or a you a bandwagoner? or val in disquise?"

I've been supporting longer than you mate, long enough to not call it soccer anymore, and long enough to not be a bandwagoner.
mr united

Postby mr united Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:19 pm

longer than me,lol like you know me or my age or how long ive been around and following '"football"' :D the fringe festival starts shortly ,hope you have registered :lol: your act
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:37 pm

Imo, victory won 2 championships because they had game breakers like fred, archie, alsopp and muscat.

I cannot think of a time when under merrick that they truly dominated the posession and held together more then ten passes.

Take a look with gary van egmonds chamionship year, with ange , arnold and van schip for the past couple of years, their teams dont just kick and run , they dont rely on one or two stars, their matches dont resemble pinball.

For me adelaide united should always be aim to be At the cutting edge of this league tactically, it was promised by rini and we believed but then he failed miserably.
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
The voice in our head is the final judge
Stuckey
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Whichever Toure is playing
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Sha la la lala lalaaaa AUFC!

Postby Stuckey Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:48 pm

Imo, victory won 2 championships because they had game breakers like fred, archie, alsopp and muscat.

I cannot think of a time when under merrick that they truly dominated the posession and held together more then ten passes.

Take a look with gary van egmonds chamionship year, with ange , arnold and van schip for the past couple of years, their teams dont just kick and run , they dont rely on one or two stars, their matches dont resemble pinball.

For me adelaide united should always be aim to be At the cutting edge of this league tactically, it was promised by rini and we believed but then he failed miserably.
Totally agree. You could tell it was the individual skill of players winning them games Merrick (and Archie) had little to do with it IMO.
Time to Djbate!
Futbol_Crazy21

Postby Futbol_Crazy21 Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:28 am

longer than me,lol like you know me or my age or how long ive been around and following '"football"' :D the fringe festival starts shortly ,hope you have registered :lol: your act

So its alright for you to assume my age, but as soon as I assume yours you pull out that post out your arse. Your a hypocrite.

You say your a long-time football follower, but your post say recent AFL convert 8)
Old Gregg
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Cassiooooooooooo

Postby Old Gregg Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:58 am

i really dont understand why people keep continually blaming merrick for the failures of this year,his job was to win trophys and he did it....

John Kosmina won the league with Adelaide as well (and finished second the following year) in case you've forgotten. Doesn't mean he's necessarily the right coach for us into the future.

Merrick was the architect of some of AUFC's most humiliating moments, on principle we should not be touching him with a barge pole. Not to mention the fact that Melbourne supporters criticized him for exactly the same things Kossie has been criticized for (playing favourites with his mates in the squad, being too rigid with his tactics, playing an outdated style of football)...
All I need is some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine.
mr united

Postby mr united Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:48 pm

A-League Champions

Season

Grand Final Date

Winning Team

Score

Losing Team

GF Attendance

Joe Marston Medal

2005–06

5 March 2006

Sydney FC (1)

1–0

Central Coast Mariners

Sydney Football Stadium, Sydney (1)

Dwight Yorke (Sydney FC)

2006–07

18 February 2007

Melbourne Victory (1)

6–0

Adelaide United

Docklands Stadium, Melbourne (1)

Archie Thompson (Melbourne Victory)

2007–08

24 February 2008

Newcastle Jets (1)

1–0

Central Coast Mariners

Sydney Football Stadium, Sydney (2)

Andrew Durante (Newcastle Jets)

2008–09

28 February 2009

Melbourne Victory (2)

1–0

Adelaide United

Docklands Stadium, Melbourne (2)

Tom Pondeljak (Melbourne Victory)

2009–10

20 March 2010

Sydney FC (2)

1–1
(4-2 PSO)

Melbourne Victory

Docklands Stadium, Melbourne (3)

Simon Colosimo
(Sydney FC)

2010–11

13 March 2011

Brisbane Roar (1)

2–2
(4-2 PSO)

Central Coast Mariners

Lang Park, Brisbane (1)

Matthew Ryan
(Central Coast Mariners)

im looking hard but gee i cant seem to find us as champions and having a title to our name :?
Agostinho
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Jeronicello Ferreira

Postby Agostinho Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:09 pm

im looking hard but gee i cant seem to find us as champions and having a title to our name :?
Who said 'champions'?

Adelaide United did indeed win the league under one John Kosmina though.

2005/06.
#WeAreUnited
Futbol_Crazy21

Postby Futbol_Crazy21 Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:51 pm

LOL, I've been bickering with YOU on whose been following football longer. With that post you now have no argument.

You forget we have the Premiership(coming 1st) and the Championship(winning the grandfinal).

Personally winning the league is most important to me and the grandfinal is just something extra. Generally if you win it, it basically leaves you with a good memory of winning the league.
ganas
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: CASSIOOOOOOOOOOOO

Postby ganas Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:52 pm

my mums sisters boyfriends cousin's friend tells me Ross Aloisi is the front runner.

must be true!

in all honesty. i dont know who would be perfect but i would like to see the club possibly scouting youth coaches from euro clubs that have large acadamies. that way they can put our youth acadamy on the right track, and having a young team, be able to mould them in the right way.
Futbol_Crazy21

Postby Futbol_Crazy21 Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:59 pm

my mums sisters boyfriends cousin's friend tells me Ross Aloisi is the front runner.

must be true!

in all honesty. i dont know who would be perfect but i would like to see the club possibly scouting youth coaches from euro clubs that have large acadamies. that way they can put our youth acadamy on the right track, and having a young team, be able to mould them in the right way.
Agree to a certain extent.

We should have a youth system like CCM, and considering we have all of Adelaide to ourself it gives us a great opportunity to succeed with it.
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:41 pm

LOL, I've been bickering with YOU on whose been following football longer. With that post you now have no argument.

You forget we have the Premiership(coming 1st) and the Championship(winning the grandfinal).

Personally winning the league is most important to me and the grandfinal is just something extra. Generally if you win it, it basically leaves you with a good memory of winning the league.
Futbal_crazy wins this one !!! Now enough of comparing who has the bigger ....
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
The voice in our head is the final judge
Irish
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Cassio
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Twist and Shout

Postby Irish Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:52 pm

fwiw, and I'm not going to get involved with the bickering, Mr. United's case in point is that Merrick won two titles and we have won none. Everybody else seems to generally agree that winning league short term is of much less importance than obtaining a manager than can lay down a style that is good to watch, design and oversee a successful and consistant development programme and achieve results year after year.

In five years time we don't want to see ourselves down the bottom of the ladder and say "we're just having a shit year, everyone has their ups and downs" or "we're rebuilding - it's okay". We should be past all that shit. At that stage we should be added the first batch of reallly talented youths to our experienced side and continuing to maintain very positive results.

Ernie Merrick doesn't have the ability to get us to that point. Jim Magilton probably doesn't have the ability to get Victory to that point. Ian Ferguson deinately won't have Perth Glory at that point. Managers like van Sjip and Ange get clubs to that point.

Long term>>>>>>>Short term

Return to “Adelaide United F.C.”