SACK RINI

The only team for me - Adelaide United F.C!
Discuss the best football club in Australia!

Moderator: Moderators Group

Agostinho
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Jeronicello Ferreira

Re: SACK RINI

Postby Agostinho Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:21 pm

Can't argue that this is Rini's team and he's responsible for the results and performances.

Is it the right thing to do to get rid of him though? I'm not convinced its that time yet. Things will have to improve significantly though and fast.
#WeAreUnited
Old Gregg
Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Cassiooooooooooo

Postby Old Gregg Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:42 pm

Not to mention the fact that, with Leckie, Flores and SvD on board, the team was playing just about as well in that ACL campaign under as they did at the start of last season.

I'm really not sure it actually comes down to the tactical abilities of the coach though, or even his squad selections, as much as the things like confidence and a sense of positivity and team cohesion. At times Vidmar looked like the best coach in the league, other times he looked like the worst - and the same is happening to Coolen. No matter how good a coach is in the A-League, there are a million things other than his tactics at training and pre-game talks that can affect what happens during a game. When there is a whiff that something is not right this becomes all too evident on the pitch. The cohesion and confidence evaporates, heads drop, and their hearts aren't in it in the same way they are when everything is peachy. As soon as the players start second-guessing the coach, their teammates and themselves, there's a spiral of decline that seems very difficult to stop. I don't think Coolen is sending players out on to the pitch without a gameplan - it's just that football players are human beings, and when things are turning to shit they are not going to perform the way we know they can. Currently, tactical nuances are almost irrelevant to Adelaide's performance, the first step is to win back the team, get them believing in themselves and in the club again.

I reckon Coolen made a huge mistake in allowing such rapid turnover of players from a team that was (basically) performing well. Suddenly team chemistry is thrown into disarray - and no doubt it leaves a poor taste in the mouths of the guys that remain, if half their mates have been shown the door in the midst of all sorts of turmoil and unrest. Not only that - the personal decisions of some players to leave the club (Dodd, Reid, Cornflakes) would have been made infinitely easier if there was a general negative vibe around the team.

Doesn't matter whether you're a coaching genius or not, once you've lost the dressing room you're just treading water..
All I need is some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine.
Old Gregg

Postby Old Gregg Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:50 pm

Can't argue that this is Rini's team and he's responsible for the results and performances.

Is it the right thing to do to get rid of him though? I'm not convinced its that time yet. Things will have to improve significantly though and fast.
It all depends, is this season a writeoff yet? Could a new coach rescue the season and get us playing well in time for the ACL?

Or is it best to give Rini the rest of the season and then bring the axe down if we're still in the doldrums? (either way it will be costly for the club)...
Agostinho

Postby Agostinho Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:18 pm

It all depends, is this season a writeoff yet? Could a new coach rescue the season and get us playing well in time for the ACL?

Or is it best to give Rini the rest of the season and then bring the axe down if we're still in the doldrums? (either way it will be costly for the club)...
I dunno what the answer is. But I think you need to way up the cost of keeping him compared to the cost of getting rid of him. I mean, the owners gave him 100% backing in the makeup of the squad. To get rid of that same coach now to me seems counterproductive.

But the cost of keeping him could be significantly higher when you consider the damage to the club in the eyes of the supporters, media et al.

I'm generally not in favour of knee jerk reactions and booting out the coach after some poor results, but I'm now really worried about the current state of my club.

I'm glad I don't run a football club, that much I do know.
#WeAreUnited
Old Gregg

Postby Old Gregg Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:25 pm

yeah, me too..

For me it's not the results so much as the utter implosion that seems to be going along with it though - the signs were there with senior players wanting out, backroom staff getting the arse, and all the rest of it. Nobody does a meltdown like the mighty Reds, should change our name to Adelaide Chernobyl ffs.

But hey at least we still have Coopers on the front of the shirt, that's got to count for something. Looks boss.
Red rooter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Van dijk - cassio

Postby Red rooter Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:02 pm

Bring in franz straka !
ganas
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: CASSIOOOOOOOOOOOO

Postby ganas Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:44 pm

yeah, me too..

For me it's not the results so much as the utter implosion that seems to be going along with it though - the signs were there with senior players wanting out, backroom staff getting the arse, and all the rest of it. Nobody does a meltdown like the mighty Reds, should change our name to Adelaide Chernobyl ffs.

But hey at least we still have Coopers on the front of the shirt, that's got to count for something. Looks boss.
i agree with this. but that has all been Rini's doing. He has been given complete control of the football side of things. he has brought in his own assistant, his own fitness team, his own players etc. and it is showing in our poor results. we look like the most unfit team in the league at the moment. there was an interview with last seasons fitness team and he was saying he left because he didn't agree with Rini's training philosophies and said it didn't replicate match intensity. at the beggining of the season we were all saying we didn't look fit enough which has attributed to our poor performances at the start of season which has now killed our confidence and heart.

here is the interview
"When we were there, I designed a preseason training program alongside (interim coach) Phil Stubbins and we did not have a single soft tissue injury through the whole preseason," Young said.

Young worked for four years at Fulham in the English Premier League before joining Adelaide United for its most recent Asian Champions League campaign under Aurelio Vidmar.

He was given a six-month contract to conduct preseason with Stubbins before the 2010/11 A-League season and spent a month alongside Coolen before departing Hindmarsh.

"I spent a month working with Rini Coolen," Young said. "I obviously can't comment on what the training methods at the club are now, but certainly when I was there Rini instituted a high volume, low intensity program which certainly can lead to those type of injuries and a lack of physiological conditioning.

"Training was often too long and most importantly the training sessions were not approaching match intensity.

"It's one of the main reasons I didn't renew my contract with the club - my philosophies differed from his. What's happening at Adelaide at the moment is very sad but not a surprise to me at all."
to me... this has to all be on Rini's head. im not saying he should be sacked now though. its how or if he can turn this season around and get us in good stead for the ACL
Agostinho

Postby Agostinho Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:11 pm

Valid points ganas, but what's the alternative? Bring in another coach to work with an inherited team? Then what happens when he wants to sell and buy more players? When does that cycle end?

Maybe that's what needs to happen, I don't know... but the investment the club has put into the status quo is a significant one - is it too early to pull the pin?

That's the gamble, I suppose but I don't think anyone is arguing that the gaffer isn't responsible for how we got here.

But seriously, how DID we get here :(
#WeAreUnited
ganas
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: CASSIOOOOOOOOOOOO

Postby ganas Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:16 pm

im not saying to sack him
i think he should stay until at least the end of the season. then have a review with the management and show what what went wrong and what he is going to do differently. from there its up to the board.
BC
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Fyfes beard

Postby BC Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:24 pm

Not to mention the fact that, with Leckie, Flores and SvD on board, the team was playing just about as well in that ACL campaign under as they did at the start of last season.

I'm really not sure it actually comes down to the tactical abilities of the coach though, or even his squad selections, as much as the things like confidence and a sense of positivity and team cohesion. At times Vidmar looked like the best coach in the league, other times he looked like the worst - and the same is happening to Coolen. No matter how good a coach is in the A-League, there are a million things other than his tactics at training and pre-game talks that can affect what happens during a game. When there is a whiff that something is not right this becomes all too evident on the pitch. The cohesion and confidence evaporates, heads drop, and their hearts aren't in it in the same way they are when everything is peachy. As soon as the players start second-guessing the coach, their teammates and themselves, there's a spiral of decline that seems very difficult to stop. I don't think Coolen is sending players out on to the pitch without a gameplan - it's just that football players are human beings, and when things are turning to shit they are not going to perform the way we know they can. Currently, tactical nuances are almost irrelevant to Adelaide's performance, the first step is to win back the team, get them believing in themselves and in the club again.

I reckon Coolen made a huge mistake in allowing such rapid turnover of players from a team that was (basically) performing well. Suddenly team chemistry is thrown into disarray - and no doubt it leaves a poor taste in the mouths of the guys that remain, if half their mates have been shown the door in the midst of all sorts of turmoil and unrest. Not only that - the personal decisions of some players to leave the club (Dodd, Reid, Cornflakes) would have been made infinitely easier if there was a general negative vibe around the team.

Doesn't matter whether you're a coaching genius or not, once you've lost the dressing room you're just treading water..
Great post. I agree on all counts.

You also risk losing the fanbase through high player turnover, which looks like is currently happening.
He scores with his left
He scores with his riiight
Marcelo Carrusca makes Flores look shite
bazz the ballbreaker

Postby bazz the ballbreaker Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:25 pm

He (Rini) just cant coach guys, what is so hard about understanding that.
With the skilled players we have they cant be playing that bad unless there is a reason.
The reason is obvious the players have no respect for the coach and hence they dont do the extra stuff.
Its the extra stuff that the players give each time they hit the pitch that makes a difference and this just aint there.
Simple.
The players respected Stubbins when he was doing pre season and running the first 10 rounds last year and then Rini took over and what happened they showed there discontent by lack of effort and hence the results.
What team player uses his lawyers to talk to a club?
One who is unhappy really unhappy.
The players were pissed of with Rini last year and his player selections (Slory) etc and the emotion has continued into this year.
Only 1 solution if you want turn the club around and that one is obvious.
that will do for now.
ps
Did you read the words (and between the lines)of Youngy and Stubbins in the paper on the weekend and did you hear Reidy on the radio last night. They were all glowing in their praise for Rini ............... not!
Futbol_Crazy21
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isaias
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: all of them

Postby Futbol_Crazy21 Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:27 pm

Fans are key part of Coolen's total football plan for Reds
by: VAL MIGLIACCIO From: The Advertiser September 05, 2011 12:00am

A CULTURAL shift, Dutch-driven total football and super fans are essential ingredients to take Adelaide United to silverware this season, boss Rini Coolen says.

"We've changed the culture of the squad and what it means to be a professional footballer.

"We are a big Australian club and players can't get away from the pressure, the only thing is to handle it and get used to it.

"We are going to have issues during the season and in that moment we'll find out if the group can be a team. That's the difference."

But without the 12th man - the fans - the mission would be almost impossible, he said. "We want to play with four attackers," Coolen said.

"Knowing that it's a kind of risk but also knowing that attacking can make a difference. We prefer to play entertaining and that's total football we're talking about and we want people to leave Hindmarsh Stadium with a nice feeling.

"The perfect situation is winning and the way you win - with a lot of goals and also creating lots of chances.

"That's how I expect Adelaide United to play and we must give credit to our supporters who can lift us to another level. They can help change the game for us."

"We have more balance now," Coolen said. "The style we prefer is to play as much as possible on the ground. We have quick players.
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/soc ... 6129321388

That was back in September and I remember reading that with excitement in the prospect of seeing Dutch Total Football being played at Hindmarsh. Now I'll admit I had never seen Total Football being played so when I saw us play in our first 3 games I was like are you serious this is like nothing I've read or heard about this Dutch style. But anyway I found a video of the Netherlands in the 1974 world cup and I gotta say I see alot of similarities. For example just after a few seconds after the kick-off the CB lofts it over, sound familiar. Old Gregg mentioned before most of reasons why we can't reach our pre-season hype and I agree with him.

I might be wrong but hey take a look -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=juDfgOWg ... re=related
Old Gregg

Postby Old Gregg Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:50 am

Seems His Carlness agrees:
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/soc ... 6215083827
"Losing Travis, Reidy, Hughesy, Marcos and Lucas in one hit ... they were a huge influence in the dressing room.

"They've decided to rip the heartbeat out of the dressing room and the players that were left behind, some haven't had the character to carry it.

"Morale is down and it hasn't picked up.
Ripping the heartbeat out of the club - spot on.

Return to “Adelaide United F.C.”