We're kicking the wrong way !

The only team for me - Adelaide United F.C!
Discuss the best football club in Australia!

Moderator: Moderators Group

MartinAUFC
Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isiais
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: UUUNNNIIITTTEEEDDD!!!!!

We're kicking the wrong way !

Postby MartinAUFC Sat Nov 26, 2011 12:22 pm

This may sound a bit strange but I think one contributing factor to our poor form, at least at home, is the fact that we always kick towards the northern end in the first half these days.

Ever since Rini swapped the home and away benches at the start of the season the team lines up at the southern end to kick off in the first half and attack the goal in front of the most vocal part of the crowd. It seems to me that it would be much better to do this in the second half when the game is, more often than not, up for grabs and the crowd get into it a lot more.

Last night was a good example. During the couple of good, all be it short spells we had of sustained pressure on the Jets goal during the second half the Red Army seemed relatively subdued, whereas if the action had been at their end I think they would have been much more vociferous. This would have had the dual effect of intimidating the opposition and encouraging the boys in red a lot more.

Rini can have his south end bench with its shady warm ups and a chance to chat up the linesman, but if we win the toss Jonny McKain should be telling the ref “we’ll change ends thanks”.
soccereds

Re: We're kicking the wrong way !

Postby soccereds Sat Nov 26, 2011 12:46 pm

Couldn't agree more mate some people might think who cares but i reckon it makes a big difference plus i also enjoy the game more when there kicking our way in the second half.
lufcmike

Postby lufcmike Sat Nov 26, 2011 3:15 pm

Could not agree more
ADEL-GOONERS
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Sergi maybe Slory
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Rolling along by a mile

Postby ADEL-GOONERS Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:09 pm

somebody should tell the coach when its 0-0 at half time , its a good thing to kick towards the home end fans , it gets the atmosphere going and im sure that would help the players, i think rini sacrificd the home end advantage when he change the bench set up,sorry but why would you do that
Stuckey
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Whichever Toure is playing
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Sha la la lala lalaaaa AUFC!

Postby Stuckey Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:58 am

I agree as well! I noticed last season why we played Welly and they made us go the wrong way and our second half was dismal! I reckon all clubs noticed that!
Time to Djbate!
Agostinho
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Jeronicello Ferreira

Postby Agostinho Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:38 am

I think we've got bigger problems than the way we're kicking...
#WeAreUnited
Adam
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isaias

Postby Adam Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:34 am

lol agreed
WINDSOR

Postby WINDSOR Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:53 am

i thought this thread would be about the excessive number of clearances/long balls Eugene has to perform every 2 mins. He will need a new knee at this rate. Zenon & Dario need to turn and look.
Hindmarsh - the worlds greatest stadium without a car park
@windsors
Old Gregg
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Cassiooooooooooo

Postby Old Gregg Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:01 pm

Alternatively, Eugene needs to learn how to distribute the ball without just booting it towards Serge's scone. I have no idea how many times over the past couple of seasons we've passed the ball around for a while and kept possession, only for someone to play it back to Galekovic to punt downfield and get snaffled up by the opposition defence. He's a great keeper but that's his big weakness imo.
All I need is some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine.
General Ashnak
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Pablo Sanchez

Postby General Ashnak Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:08 pm

He was generally much better against NJs. It is helpful when we are actually having the CBs push out wide to offer options and the WBs are further up the park along with having our 2 CDMs providing options for the ball to get played out.
Terry Pratchett wrote:
The thing about football - the important thing about football - is that it is not just about football.
MartinAUFC

Postby MartinAUFC Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:51 pm

Agreed, but in a league as tight as this one you need to make the most of every possible advantage you have.

We have a loud, intimidating supporter group situated right behind the goal at one end. I can’t think of another club in the A-league that has this at its disposal and the best time to use it is when the chips are down late in the game.
MartinAUFC

Postby MartinAUFC Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:58 pm

Alternatively, Eugene needs to learn how to distribute the ball without just booting it towards Serge's scone. I have no idea how many times over the past couple of seasons we've passed the ball around for a while and kept possession, only for someone to play it back to Galekovic to punt downfield and get snaffled up by the opposition defence. He's a great keeper but that's his big weakness imo.
Can’t blame Euge for that – most times it is knocked back to him as a last resort because nobody could find a decent pass to a team mate forward of the half way line.

You have to pin that one on either the players unable to pick out a pass or the guys up top not making decent runs (or maybe the coach for not having a decent game plan – whoops, did I say that out loud ???)

You’re in big trouble if you start relying on your keeper to play defence splitting through balls.

Return to “Adelaide United F.C.”