Reds in acl?

The only team for me - Adelaide United F.C!
Discuss the best football club in Australia!

Moderator: Moderators Group

shinAUFC
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter

Reds in acl?

Postby shinAUFC Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:38 pm

Well it seems the rumours at true that australia get 2.5 spots in acl.

Obviously the .5 means the thrid team has to go through qualifying.

If common sense applies thats us! We were third in the premiership, if not it seems goldcoast are in.

I would post a link but its not in enlish, so when someone finds an enlgish article then post it up.
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
The voice in our head is the final judge
Cassio!!
Proud Adelaide United Supporter

Re: Reds in acl?

Postby Cassio!! Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:52 pm

teams have to have 5k avg...? so either way we are in?
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:06 pm

Its poses the question....... Do we want it?

We are struggling this year, so playing qualifiers and then maybe group stage matches may really hurt us this season.

Im just stoxked australia has an extra half spot, and imo having to go through qualifiers for it makes it all the more exciting for the casual onlooker
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
Cassio!!

Postby Cassio!! Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:13 pm

it might entice flores to come back, or someone else just as good
Stuckey
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Whichever Toure is playing
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Sha la la lala lalaaaa AUFC!

Postby Stuckey Thu Nov 24, 2011 4:23 am

ADELAIDE United may be given a chance to be part of the 2012 AFC Champions League.

The Reds may be joining 2011 A-League champion Brisbane Roar and runner-up Central Coast Mariners in the international club competition.

But Adelaide may be locked in a dogfight with Gold Coast United - the club that knocked the Reds out of the 2011 playoffs to reach the preliminary final from fourth place - before it can contest Asian football.
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/red ... 6204169456

Wow this is amazing! From the article even if we lose the play off we will be part of the AFC President's Cup which will apparently suck for us financially but this is IMO what the owners of AUFC are 100% gunning for, Asian exposure. Greg Griffin and Rob Gerard are smart lads. I reckon they'll make this post a winner regardless of which tourament we enter. How much AUFC makes out if it is probably another story!

Hopefully this will assist our Slory replacement search! I've always been sure ACL was one of the main reasons Flores originally signed with us.

Woohoo!
Time to Djbate!
Stuckey
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Whichever Toure is playing
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Sha la la lala lalaaaa AUFC!

Postby Stuckey Thu Nov 24, 2011 4:32 am

One issue i do have is though. Does Australia deserve it? Sure the national team is a force in the region, but our clubs are far from it! Only two clubs making past the group stage in what is it 12 attempts? Sounds like Asia are trying to rig the comp so the good teams can stay in it! C'mon Asia you know you want us!
Time to Djbate!
Nash
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Eugene and Cassio

Postby Nash Thu Nov 24, 2011 4:54 am

that bloody game against GCU that we threw away is still haunting us lol.

personally, i think this is all awesome news!
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Thu Nov 24, 2011 7:21 am

One issue i do have is though. Does Australia deserve it? Sure the national team is a force in the region, but our clubs are far from it! Only two clubs making past the group stage in what is it 12 attempts? Sounds like Asia are trying to rig the comp so the good teams can stay in it! C'mon Asia you know you want us!
Why dont you check how many spots some of the tiny arab nations got that have all of 1 million people and no one watching their games....
ADEL-GOONERS
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Sergi maybe Slory
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Rolling along by a mile

Postby ADEL-GOONERS Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:46 am

as a suporter what better news could you ask for , aufc you are now in the acl. If it happens it will be great news, plus having to qulify will be great to watch at the marsh
lufcmike

Postby lufcmike Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:57 am

I'm not gonna be holding my breath
Its just a beat up.
General Ashnak
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Pablo Sanchez

Postby General Ashnak Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:51 am

Actually mike it has been reported by some very reputable sources, the issue is going to obe wether the FFA continues to interpret the word champions in the regulations as our Championship Cup competition or as it is meant to be our Premiership table. If they continue to interpret championship as the cup rather than the league then GCU will get in - even though that is incorrect as far as the ACL regulations are concerned.
Terry Pratchett wrote:
The thing about football - the important thing about football - is that it is not just about football.
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Thu Nov 24, 2011 11:06 am

Wouldnt suprise me if there was a play off between adelaide and goldy to make it to qualification,

Imo it might be the fairest option as both sides have a genuine reason to expect that it is their spot..

In future though surely this will become the spot an ffa cup winner will fill
Mr. Happy
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Paul Reid.
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: We're not full of convicts...

Postby Mr. Happy Thu Nov 24, 2011 11:56 am

Gold Coast don't have a claim for a spot, winning a game vs overall performance over the season.

If we are given a spot it would be brilliant, lengthening the season and more football for me to watch! :D
Cats, Sex and Nazis that's why they call me Mr. Happy!
Agostinho
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Jeronicello Ferreira

Postby Agostinho Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:01 pm

Definitely going to look into an away trip...
#WeAreUnited
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:08 pm

I may be wrong,

But doesnt the afc cup winner get automatic qualification into the following year of acl?

So its possible to have 4 teams in acl and we only have 10 clubs, and one of those clubs cant compete in an asian competition..

So the posibility of 4/9 clubs in acl..... The ffa will pull their hair out with schedualing haha!

Return to “Adelaide United F.C.”