Should we cheer Harry ?

The only team for me - Adelaide United F.C!
Discuss the best football club in Australia!

Moderator: Moderators Group

MartinAUFC
Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isiais
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: UUUNNNIIITTTEEEDDD!!!!!

Re: Should we cheer Harry ?

Postby MartinAUFC Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:31 pm

I don't see it that clear cut myself.

Harry, i too feel he can go fuck himself. I will show some slight gratitude for his return home, maybe will a first touch clap or if he is subbed off. But i personally feel he is somewhat taking advantage of the league for his own financial benefit.

Whereas when i look at Emerton, i feel he's coming home for better reasons - for more than personal benefits. He was still playing first flight English football (the holyiest of holy leagues as they say). Emo, it appears, wanted to come to the A-League. Emo did not have to come home, but when i look at Kewell, i can't help but feel it's all for his own benefit. He didn't have as many options as Emerton, as far as i know. Was Kewell getting offers from EPL sides?

Look how long Emerton was at Blackburn for - he's a club man, he's for the sport. A player who in my opinion deserves more credit for returning home than Harry. Emerton, as far as i'm aware but i was overseas, did all his dealings behind closed doors when signing for SFC, in a respectful manner. Harry's was all over the media, seemingly playing clubs off each other - although i admit that the media was always going to lap up his return and speculation would most likely of been rife anyway.

I guess my opinion being swayed or concreted will come down to how Harry handles himself once playing in the league, and how he treats the league and handles in the media. I am willing to eat my words.

In closing, yes i need more sleep, and yes, i will clap Dodd on his return to Hindmarsh :p
Good post ! The first one that has really shown an understanding of the “for the good of the game” point I was trying to make in the OP.

People need to start looking at the big picture – without these high profile returning Socceroos our league diminishes in reputation and value and perhaps even has a limited life span.

As I stated before I’m not saying we welcome them with open arms. Just a brief show of respect and kudos for making the move home and sparking up the competition.

BTW I agree wholeheartedly that Emo deserves it 10 times more than Harry.
shinAUFC
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter

Re: Should we cheer Harry ?

Postby shinAUFC Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:27 pm

Cant be serious?

I dont think anyone is denying him coming home is good for the league.

If harry gets a sellout crowd at hindmarsh trying to put him off his game everytime he touches the ball isnt that the biggest sign of respect a professional player could recieve from opposing fans?

If he was jeered all game by aufc fans im quite sure harry would think to himself after the game "wow , the game has come a long way from when i left"

I dont think emerton and kewell would quite know yet how passionate some rivalvries have become in this league, and i think they would be quietly happy to be involved in a hostile atmosphere playing club football in their own country.

Take kevin muscat for example, imo he was probably the best man for the a-league in the first 5 years. He helped fuel rivalries, was loved by his own and hated by the rest. He was a real anti hero that divided fans...that is what the league needs!

Returning socceroos only works for so long until your average bandwagoner realises the said player is still only human (take fowler for example)

If kewell becomes a hated player by his rivals and loved by his own then IMO that is 100x better for the league because it amplifies the passion of diehard fans and sucks in the casuals.

I could not stand robbie kruse no matter what, once he was in a roos shirt i saw him in a diferent light....that kind of passion is what will make this league great...

But thats just me
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
The voice in our head is the final judge

Return to “Adelaide United F.C.”