Stout Australian stopper signs

The only team for me - Adelaide United F.C!
Discuss the best football club in Australia!

Moderator: Moderators Group

leeds4eva
Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isaías

Stout Australian stopper signs

Postby leeds4eva Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:05 am

ADELAIDE United is well on its way to hijacking the A-League championship.
This is because Socceroos defender Jon McKain has agreed to terms.

It's understood McKain - a stout stopper who can adapt to the holding midfielder's role - has signed a three-year contract to become the latest Socceroo to join Rini Coolen's squad.

Saudi Arabia's Al Nasr Riad released the defender on the weekend.

McKain was initially signed by Al Nasr Riad's coach - former Italian international Walter Zenga - last year before he was axed at Christmas.

Zenga signed Brisbane-born McKain on a free transfer from Wellington Phoenix. The Queensland connection has propelled Adelaide towards the A-League crown favouritism and a lucrative place in the 2013 AFC Champions League.
More...

Bit early to be tipping us for the title and ACL qualification, Val. :roll:

Great signing though! Hopefuly we can add either Madaschi or Fyfe aswell, then we'll have arguably the strongest defence in the league tbh.
"The ball is round, the game lasts 90 minutes, that's a fact. Everything else is pure theory."
Zehle
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Francisco Usucar

Re: Stout Australian stopper signs

Postby Zehle Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:30 am

Levchenko will be unveiled this week too i believe... we'll just have to wait and see.
bundibundi

Postby bundibundi Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:11 am

great news. I've always been confused by his regular selection in the socceroos, but I must admit when he's on he's been alright. amazing work by adelaide bringing back all these fringe socceroos still in their prime (unlike Perth who bring them back for a last big paycheck). Cant wait for the start of the season now!

Oh and +1000 internets for the headline!

still need a creative mid.
davidbloop
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Eugene Galekovic

Postby davidbloop Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:41 am

If this turns out to be confirmed (which I'm thinking it will be) I'll be one happy chappy.

Every signing we've seen even before 11/12 was completely finished has made me cream my pants more and more. Our squad is looking extremely fierce now even without more signings. I def think Adelaide has by far had the best recruiting in the off season.
Agostinho
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Jeronicello Ferreira

Postby Agostinho Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:53 am

I def think Adelaide has by far had the best recruiting in the off season.
Perth have recruited the best IMO. At least on paper - why they still have that clown Ferguson in charge though I have no idea.
#WeAreUnited
Old Gregg
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Cassiooooooooooo

Postby Old Gregg Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:15 am

Mmm Australian Stout

Anyway, good signing - should we assume that that's the end of the Fyfe/Madaschi talk or do you think we've got another experienced CB to come?
All I need is some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine.
flavze

Postby flavze Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:17 am

Perth have recruited the best IMO. At least on paper - why they still have that clown Ferguson in charge though I have no idea.
tbh i think alot of Perths players are past their best and on the way down, tbh i think with the current bunch of players it's their last chance to win the title this season but i don't think it ill happen.
blahblah
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: the kit bag guy
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Bound for South Australia

Postby blahblah Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:21 am

How much money do we have left in the cap? I can't imagine any of these players are cheap. Great signings thus far.... though to be fair to our recruitment department they have been pretty good for a long time now.
davidbloop
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Eugene Galekovic

Postby davidbloop Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:56 am

I must disagree.

Sure they got Dodd and Hughes, but we replaced both of them with better players already.

Smeltz and Miller are class but I'm not convinced with the rest of the team that Smeltz is going to click into the system and I'm still unsure if Miller will really be as awesome as he looks on paper or whether he'll be another Robbie Fowler type signing. Although he did have a few good moments in the Celtic match that showed hints of his big time past.

Van Den Brink is probably what I'd consider their best signing as he's a rock solid defender that's pretty consistent.

But then you look at our signings, most of them are young AND experienced and most of them are just now at the age where a lot of footballers careers start to reach their peak. Also considering the fact that a few of them are fringe socceroos with recent international experience and it becomes all the more impressive.

Perth is signing greats that once were in my eyes. I could be proven wrong however :?
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:13 pm

If adelaide and perth were investors......

Perth would be buying apple shares that adelaide has held and been rather smug about over the past ten years. While arguably profitable the boom is well and truly over.

I know which id rather be
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
The voice in our head is the final judge
Stuckey
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Whichever Toure is playing
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Sha la la lala lalaaaa AUFC!

Postby Stuckey Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:29 pm

If adelaide and perth were investors......

Perth would be buying apple shares that adelaide has held and been rather smug about over the past ten years. While arguably profitable the boom is well and truly over.

I know which id rather be
My thoughts exactly!
Time to Djbate!
redhorse
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: DARIO

Postby redhorse Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:46 pm

Postby EdDog Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:09 am

Just read in the advertiser that McKain is still yet to sign as there are complicstions with his previous contract. Also the Levchenko deal is also very close to fruition and perhaps being played as a stopper or DM.

There was also an article about Calvin Mbarga and how Rini cannot offer him a contract now - most likely because he'd take up a foreign spot. Some other A-League club has been in contact with him too. Forget which one.
Hammerzeit

Postby Hammerzeit Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:32 am

Just read in the advertiser that McKain is still yet to sign as there are complicstions with his previous contract.

I thought it was reported that his Saudi club had released him on the weekend. Seems like a story to fill space tbh, still expect him to be confirmed today (perhaps tomorrow if there is trouble contacting his former club to have clearance paperwork signed).
Agostinho
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Jeronicello Ferreira

Postby Agostinho Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:55 am

Just read in the advertiser that McKain is still yet to sign as there are complicstions with his previous contract. Also the Levchenko deal is also very close to fruition and perhaps being played as a stopper or DM.

There was also an article about Calvin Mbarga and how Rini cannot offer him a contract now - most likely because he'd take up a foreign spot. Some other A-League club has been in contact with him too. Forget which one.
Link?
#WeAreUnited

Return to “Adelaide United F.C.”