Reds' Coolen hunting for the next Leckie

The only team for me - Adelaide United F.C!
Discuss the best football club in Australia!

Moderator: Moderators Group

Stuckey
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Whichever Toure is playing
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Sha la la lala lalaaaa AUFC!

Reds' Coolen hunting for the next Leckie

Postby Stuckey Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:00 am

THERE'S an eternity before the A-League season kicks off but Adelaide United boss Rini Coolen won't be idle.

He is avidly searching for the next Mathew Leckie in time for the league's October kick-off.

Borussia Monchengladbach winger Leckie was famously identified playing in the backblocks of the Victorian Premier League three years ago by the canny Reds.

Coolen is fixed on finding hidden gems like former Hindmarsh favourite Leckie who have fallen through the cracks in our own backyard.

Coolen and former Reds defenders Michael Valkanis and Angelo Costanzo will be conducting clinics from April 18 ahead of a 20-week program that identifies under-14, under-15 and under-16 players not aligned to the SA Institute of Sport.
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/soc ... 6032935639

Great news I can really see SA football returning to the glorys days and loads of SA boys flying the flag in Europe.
Time to Djbate!
General Ashnak
Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Pablo Sanchez

Re: Reds' Coolen hunting for the next Leckie

Postby General Ashnak Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:48 am

The big question now is wether talks with the super league etc clubs is paying off. Also I hope there has been communication with those clubs, I don't want this sort of stuff to be hot air as without the various clubs becoming essentially a giant academy for SA football we are going to be a back water for some time to come.
Terry Pratchett wrote:
The thing about football - the important thing about football - is that it is not just about football.
Nuske
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: FLORES

Postby Nuske Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:36 am

I saw him out at Metrostars with Petrillio on the weekend, so hopefully he is looking in the good places.
Stuckey

Postby Stuckey Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:50 am

I really can't believe other clubs aren't making a huge effort in this area. This is such a huge potential earner for the club. Considering Leckie was valued at $1.3 million before he left i could easily see AU making around that each year selling players. Maybe we would have some seasons where we don't sell much and thats made up by other season where we hopefully stand to make $3-4 million IMO.

As i have said before there is no reason why AU couldn't be selling players in the near future for tens of millions.
Time to Djbate!
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:08 pm

tens of millions?

Im sure other clubs would like to set up something like this up, but that all comes down to money though doesnt it.

Lucky for us we have a coach who believes in youth and owners who agree with very deep pockets
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
The voice in our head is the final judge
spaceCowboy

Postby spaceCowboy Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:15 pm

Surely this is just the acadamey that was set up prior to the new owners coming in?
The other clubs just need to set it up and believe in it. Yes it does cost money, but it far out weighs the cost in the long run.
We are UNITED, after all....
Stuckey

Postby Stuckey Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:40 pm

tens of millions?
Maybe not consistantly but yes.
Time to Djbate!
RedsUnited
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: They all leave

Postby RedsUnited Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:02 pm

If I remember correctly we have a Junior Development Academy, and an Elite Academy.

The Development Academy is for 8-16 year olds, and to provide skills-based and tactics-based training. This leads into the Elite Academy where the better players are selected from the pool, and play competitively with various junior squads around the state. These academies then lead into the NYL and Seniors, once set age groups are established - which is what Rini appears to be doing at the moment.
Steelinho
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Yuujiin Garekkobicchi

Postby Steelinho Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:18 pm

I saw him out at Metrostars with Petrillio on the weekend, so hopefully he is looking in the good places.
I'd rather him look everywhere, instead.

Leave no stone unturned, etc.
Stuckey

Postby Stuckey Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:29 pm

I'd rather him look everywhere, instead.

Leave no stone unturned, etc.
Yeah i might send him all my teams fixtures so he can come down. Saturday div 7 is a higher standard then you'd think.
Time to Djbate!
Steelinho
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Yuujiin Garekkobicchi

Postby Steelinho Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:33 pm

For all we know, there could very well be someone like that.

Or in Darwin, Tasmania, Far-North Queensland, etc., etc.

If we really want to replace important players, we need to be proactive and use every resource available to us by looking at every possibility.
sevengoals
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: all of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Expand the league now!

Postby sevengoals Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:47 pm

"We are going to have a minimum of five kids who will be from refugee, non- English-speaking or indigenous backgrounds," he said.

Academy director Michael Valkanis says the club hopes to become an A-League trailblazer in nurturing indigenous potential.
Yes!
Way to go!
" There was, he added, no room for spin, showmanship, hubris or “any of the feelings of invincibility” that so often shackle nations with an imperial past ... " - - -

Pies: 3867

No Roots, No Growth!
General Ashnak
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Pablo Sanchez

Postby General Ashnak Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:25 am

"We are going to have a minimum of five kids who will be from refugee, non- English-speaking or indigenous backgrounds," he said.

Academy director Michael Valkanis says the club hopes to become an A-League trailblazer in nurturing indigenous potential.
Yes!
Way to go!
The first thing I thought when I read this was: Why isn't Travis Dodd going to be there as an example of the success that an aboriginal footballer can have.
Terry Pratchett wrote:
The thing about football - the important thing about football - is that it is not just about football.
Stuckey

Postby Stuckey Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:47 am

Yes!
Way to go!
The first thing I thought when I read this was: Why isn't Travis Dodd going to be there as an example of the success that an aboriginal footballer can have.
I thought he said he wasn't too keen on coaching and would rather look for a media job?

Yes great news though!

I saw a story on the news a while ago saying how the local football league in Port Augusta has gone gang busters since the refugee community openned up there.

It will be great to see these kids get a go with AU and offer a playing style you may have not have seen from kids born and raised in Adelaide.
Time to Djbate!
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:41 pm

Its a great point!!

There would be many migrant children who's familys just cant afford to pay the High fee's surely there is a massive amount of potential slipping through the cracks.

Id like to see them take it one step further and encourage new arrivals to support AU, just get them onboard!! It could be a very fruitful partnership in the future
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
The voice in our head is the final judge

Return to “Adelaide United F.C.”