Travis Dodd is moving west, Reid no longer required.

The only team for me - Adelaide United F.C!
Discuss the best football club in Australia!

Moderator: Moderators Group

andyj
Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Cassio

Re: Travis Dodd is moving west, Reid no longer required.

Postby andyj Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:58 am

Disturbing rumours are always true. I'll make one up now.

Adelaide United to become "Selling club" in order to become a profitable business. Signing free-agent south americans/europeans to 2 year deals to put them in the shop window for richer Japanese and Korean clubs for . Sell for profit after first year of contract. Avoid keeping older local players around so you can use the occasional random skillful youngster as a hedge, in case of a bad crop of imports.
Sounds good, bit like how 90% of European clubs survive
2UtdsDundeeAdel

Postby 2UtdsDundeeAdel Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:09 pm

So tell us! No need to be so ambiguous.
Story I heard was Dodd went in to discuss contract terms etc on Monday and was told their offer was no longer available and that he should take Perth's offer.
So why did that story that you heard, make you say "Have heard some very disturbing rumours about the club today."?

To be honest, it sounds like the Club said, 'we cannot match Perth's offer' (and if what I read about Perths offer is true, I dont blame them), 'therefore you should take the best deal for you and your family'

Sounds potentially like they were doing the best for the Club and also for Travis.

'Loyalty' only seems to be an appropriate word when attached to $'s. Funny, but that is not the traditional meaning of the word, in my humble view!!!!!!!
2UtdsDundeeAdel

Postby 2UtdsDundeeAdel Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:11 pm

PS - I like Dodd, and if he could have stayed then it would have been great, however his performances over the last 2 years, did not warrant an increased pay packet (once again in my opinion)
King_Billy
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Marcos Flores

Postby King_Billy Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:07 pm

To be honest, it sounds like the Club said, 'we cannot match Perth's offer' (and if what I read about Perths offer is true, I dont blame them), 'therefore you should take the best deal for you and your family'
Don't you think Travis should have had an offer of some sort from AUFC?
When I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True Story.
2UtdsDundeeAdel

Postby 2UtdsDundeeAdel Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:24 pm

Once again, only from what I have read, the club did make an offer - previously of only one year (and from what I believe was similar money).
I believe even Travis said as much.....

Dodd, or his agent then obviously started touting around trying to start up a bidding war, and to perhaps negotiate his case better with Adelaide.

Whether or not the second offer of a 2 year deal from Utd was true, is something that we may never know, however your 'story' you heard was that the 'offer was no longer available', which seems to me that there was at least one offer to begin with, if not a second improved one.

Travis, which he is perfectly entitled to do, was obviously holding out for a better deal again, otherwise I would assume out of 'loyalty' he would have accepted either the first or second offer from the club.

According to your story the club then said on Monday, we cannot match the offer made to you from Perth, we advise you to take it.

I see nothing wrong from either party (based on these reports), and suggest that if that is what you are basing your 'disturbing rumours about the club' on, I would say that in my opinion, that is a little bit of overkill.

Anyway - all entitled to our opinions - its what makes forums rad!!!!

All the best Dodd - hope all goes well

Utd must get stronger out of this......
If other teams are willing to buy the players that we are willing to let go, it is vital that we improve the standard even further of players that we bring into this league.
shinAUFC
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter

Postby shinAUFC Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:42 pm

Dodd said in an article that AU came back with a second offer, 150k a season for 2 years and a coaching role after.

fair deal IMO.

Seriously whats the club to do, if they resigned him for the cash and had a poor season most of you would be complaining about the A-league being for old boys on a final pay check.

Instead we could sign a Rojas or Estrada in his place and probably sell them off and make more money
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
The voice in our head is the final judge
King_Billy

Postby King_Billy Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:50 pm

According to your story the club then said on Monday, we cannot match the offer made to you from Perth, we advise you to take it.
No, according to my story the club said "We won't be offering you a new contract travis, good bye"

In pretty much those words.

Like I said, it is just a rumour. What was said in press conferences by Dodd yesterday would say it isn't true. However, I'm not sure Travis would make it public even if it was true.
2UtdsDundeeAdel

Postby 2UtdsDundeeAdel Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:57 pm

Not that I want to get into a play on words argument, but you did say "their offer was no longer available"

Bottom line - Travis is gone, the majority of people on here seem to accept and believe in the clubs decision, while also saying that Travis will be missed.
King_Billy

Postby King_Billy Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:30 pm

Not that I want to get into a play on words argument, but you did say "their offer was no longer available"
Probably didn't word it very well, my bad.
Bottom line - Travis is gone, the majority of people on here seem to accept and believe in the clubs decision, while also saying that Travis will be missed.
Myself included.
Interloper

Postby Interloper Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:31 am

Sounds good, bit like how 90% of European clubs survive
Indeed, the best hoaxes are those where you take a real concept and build your fiction around it. Sadly though, here there is only confirmation bias and little unambiguous evidence to support the claim. To the point where, by rights, anybody associated with the club who seriously suggests this should be fired on the spot.

Sure, They could be readying an elaborate buy low-sell high trading scheme to propel Adelaide to financial riches. There is the slight problem that the young players at Adelaide are mostly garbage (relatively speaking) and no money will be made from them... or that the start of the next season is incredibly delayed, meaning there won't be a 'shop window' for a long time... or the fact that by disrupting the squad to the point where this season has failed has removed the much bigger Asian Champions League shop window... or that it's nigh on impossible for transfers to cover the loss of ACL income.

A much more likely solution is simply that the signings or non-signings were necessary by Coolen genuinely believed it was necessary to make big name signings mid-season to a) win the title this year (lol). or b) they had to be signed immediately or they would become unavailable later. Also, that the offer for Fyfe was just too much money for a business in the red to turn down.
sevengoals
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: all of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Expand the league now!

Postby sevengoals Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:38 am

The last goodbyes...
HIS son was the person it was hardest for Travis Dodd to tell about his impending move west after ending his six-year stay at Adelaide United and signing with Perth Glory this week.

He's already changed schools once recently and was just settling in with a good group of mates.

He was the person it was hardest for Travis Dodd to tell about his impending move west after ending his six-year stay at Adelaide United and signing with Perth Glory this week.
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/the ... 6016477172

B)
" There was, he added, no room for spin, showmanship, hubris or “any of the feelings of invincibility” that so often shackle nations with an imperial past ... " - - -

Pies: 3867

No Roots, No Growth!
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:33 pm

The last goodbyes...
HIS son was the person it was hardest for Travis Dodd to tell about his impending move west after ending his six-year stay at Adelaide United and signing with Perth Glory this week.

He's already changed schools once recently and was just settling in with a good group of mates.

He was the person it was hardest for Travis Dodd to tell about his impending move west after ending his six-year stay at Adelaide United and signing with Perth Glory this week.
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/the ... 6016477172

B)
that article has a very interesting slant much like his opinion piece on slory.

Why is the advertiser trying to cause so much trouble from this ?

It seems every fan who has an IQ over 60 is happy the club didnt sign him on bigger money
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
The voice in our head is the final judge
Interloper

Postby Interloper Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:22 pm

The Advertiser's tactics are obvious.
1) You have one writer claiming that the current regime can do no wrong and that dissenters should be shot.
2) You have another writer claiming that things were better in the past and that those running the club are buffoons.
3) ????
4) Profit/Letters to the editor.

Also. This was statistically Dodd's best season ever by a long way. I'd be pissed too if that wasn't appreciated.

Second highest goal tally 6 (vs 8 in 2008/2009, when he still took penalties.)
6 Assists (he had 8 total in all his previous A-league seasons combine)
least fouls in career
least shots, but 2nd highest shots on target (21 vs 30 in 2008/2009) and highest accuracy 61.76%

and all this in the lowest number of total minutes played in all his A-league seasons.
David Votoupal

Postby David Votoupal Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:51 pm

The need for independent fan media has never been greater.
ganas
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: CASSIOOOOOOOOOOOO

Postby ganas Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:54 pm

did anybody see in today's paper the article about the two parting AUFC players and their gift to the remaining reds?

it was in Adelaide Confidential, didn't name names but said 2 departing reds players left a cake in the dressing room for the remaining players. it was a cake of a ticking time bomb...

Return to “Adelaide United F.C.”