Reid walks out on Reds after AFC transfer denied

The only team for me - Adelaide United F.C!
Discuss the best football club in Australia!

Moderator: Moderators Group

ganas
Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: CASSIOOOOOOOOOOOO

Re: Reid walks out on Reds after AFC transfer denied

Postby ganas Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:24 pm

spat the dummy for not being picked?

not unprofessional at all.
con

Postby con Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:29 pm

The following is a statement from the Adelaide United Football Club in regards to the situation involving Paul Reid…

Adelaide United feels constrained to place on the public record the facts that led to the omission of Paul Reid from the team to play against the Wellington Phoenix on 18 February 2011.

Paul Reid was selected to play in that match. On Wednesday Paul Reid expressed to Head Coach Rini Coolen his dissatisfaction at the failure of Adelaide United to positively confirm that the club would release him from his contract as of 23 February 2011 so as to enable him to play for Sydney FC in the forthcoming Asian Champions League. It is a condition of registration to enable Reid to play that he had been released by Adelaide United from his existing contract by no later than 23 February 2011.

As a consequence of what Reid believed was an unreasonable refusal by Coolen to agree to that request, he advised Coolen Rini that he would not be available to play in the selected team against Wellington Phoenix on the basis that he was not in the right state of mind to do so. Adelaide United FC Chairman, Mr Greg Griffin, telephoned Paul on the evening of 16 February 2011 and told him that under no circumstances would Adelaide United agree to release him prior to 23 February 2011 so as to enable him to play for Sydney FC in the Asian Champions League.

It was made clear to Reid that this decision stood regardless of the result against the Wellington Phoenix. Reid was told that he could either continue with Adelaide United notwithstanding his decision to make himself unavailable for the Wellington Phoenix match or he would not be playing football for any club, including Sydney FC in the Asian Champions League, until the expiration of his current contract which expires on 31 March 2011.

Griffin left it with Reid on the basis that he should reconsider his earlier decision to not play against Wellington Phoenix. Paul has regrettably decided that he will not make himself available to play for Adelaide United in the forthcoming finals match and as such he has been replaced in the team by Vice-Captain Lucas Pantelis.

The playing squad has been fully appraised of the position taken by the Club, which is that it has an obligation to field the best possible team in the forthcoming finals series. Paul is a player who would have been selected in the finals series. Adelaide United will not permit any individual player to place his own interests above that of the Club and the squad. Adelaide United remains resolute in its position that it has made a decision that is in the best interests of the Club, its sponsors and supporters. This Club is intent on building a culture that will make Adelaide United a successful club both in Australia and Asia for many years to come. Adelaide United will not make decisions based upon expedience or threats of adverse comments from players or agents who expect it to walk away from clear contractual positions because it suits the player to do so.

Win, lose or draw against Wellington Phoenix on Friday night, Adelaide United will not release Paul Reid prior to 23 February 2011 to enable him to play for Sydney FC in the Asian Champions League.

ENDS

Nic Kerber
shinAUFC
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter

Postby shinAUFC Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:31 pm

Ahuh

So he was dropped for this game but decided he would goto sydney for acl.

Im sure there is more to it but end of the day he has a contract what id hughes got injured or carded and we need him for the next game.

Could this end up in court, a player refusing to play is like a club not payimg a player
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
The voice in our head is the final judge
King_Billy
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Marcos Flores

Postby King_Billy Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:32 pm

spat the dummy for not being picked?

not unprofessional at all.
+1
When I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True Story.
ganas
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: CASSIOOOOOOOOOOOO

Postby ganas Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:38 pm

after reading that statement (well right from the beginning really, the statement just reaffirmed my view) i wholeheartedly agree with Rini and the Clubs stance!
Mr. Happy
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Paul Reid.
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: We're not full of convicts...

Postby Mr. Happy Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:43 pm

Clubs stance is rather more bitchy and personal than i expected.
Cats, Sex and Nazis that's why they call me Mr. Happy!
King_Billy
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Marcos Flores

Postby King_Billy Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:49 pm

Clubs stance is rather more bitchy and personal than i expected.
How? Should Rini just put him in the XI to keep him happy or should we be just letting him go next week if we lose tomorrow night?
When I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True Story.
Stobes
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Cassio

Postby Stobes Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:51 pm

FFS, this is the last thing we should be dealing with so close to the finals. :bang:
Spiro
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Hugene and Cassio
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Rollin' Along

Postby Spiro Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:52 pm

I think these guys need to start to understand that our league is becoming professional and the old regime of football is dying off.

Why would we, on the verge of a finals campaign, release a player to a rival club?

Sydney have tapped him up and he's taken the bait.

Im glad Lucas is in the team tbh, at least, despite his obvious disatisfaction with being out of the match squad, can act professionally in the circumstances.

More power to Rini and Gerrard. It's good to see football in Australia heading this way.
Salisbury Florina 2009 SAASL Sunday Premier League Champions

'Mon Gerard et al
Adrian

Postby Adrian Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:55 pm

He wanted to abandon us mid finals to try help Sydney win the ACL before us. Fuck him.
andyj
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Cassio

Postby andyj Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:57 pm

club = employer, player = employee. employee does what employer wants, it's simple really.
Futbol_Crazy21
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isaias
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: all of them

Postby Futbol_Crazy21 Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:01 pm

He didn't want to play, he was dropped, wanted a release, rini wants him too see out his contract....................

Two sides of the story and both sound feasible. FK sake, we do not need this arm wrestle between a player and the club on the eve of the finals.

Who is right, the club or Reid I don't know. TBH I want Reid to be the guilty part in this.
I think these guys need to start to understand that our league is becoming professional and the old regime of football is dying off.

Why would we, on the verge of a finals campaign, release a player to a rival club?

Sydney have tapped him up and he's taken the bait.

Im glad Lucas is in the team tbh, at least, despite his obvious disatisfaction with being out of the match squad, can act professionally in the circumstances.

More power to Rini and Gerrard. It's good to see football in Australia heading this way.
I agree, and its time for Lucas to step up because if pants still wants to be here then this is his opportunity to gain favour in the first team.
Old Gregg
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Cassiooooooooooo

Postby Old Gregg Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:01 pm

It's good that clubs are taking a stand (even if Adelaide have profited from other teams' benevolence in the past - e.g. Serg moving from Roar in time for our ACL campaign) and not letting players dictate. We're not stopping him from playing football: he can fuck off to Indonesia or China or the NSWPL or wherever he wants as soon as his contract is up, but until then he is an AUFC player and should act as such. He wants to play for Sydney in the ACL? He should have signed with them in the first place. You sign with Adelaide, you're a Red, and the worst fucking thing that you can do is pull out of the team on the eve of the finals because you're not given the early release you're demanding.

All I hope is that this shit doesn't rub off on other players at the club.
All I need is some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine.
shinAUFC
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter

Postby shinAUFC Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:05 pm

Wow the club statement was very to the point.

While i get players want to sort out their future, they cant expect to walk out on contracts already signed. We are in the finals why would we release any player with a fighting shot at making to team!?
Imagine if rini got a good offer from a dutch club and decided he wanted to leave tomorrow to, hell everyone may come and go as they like. This is no drop in centre!!!

I think the older guys around the league need to understand their time is limited and they are only worth what someone wants to pay them. If the club doesnt offer you the contract you want then tuff, see out your remaining contract and move on

The clubs need to have control not the players
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
The voice in our head is the final judge
Brades36
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: cassio
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: adelaide born

Postby Brades36 Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:06 pm

That is an absolute disgrace reid. you wherea respected player at this club. good luck playing for a team that will be in the bottom 66.

Return to “Adelaide United F.C.”