Success rates of coaches

The only team for me - Adelaide United F.C!
Discuss the best football club in Australia!

Moderator: Moderators Group

David Votoupal
Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Marcos Flores

Success rates of coaches

Postby David Votoupal Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:40 pm

Here I calculate the success rates of Adelaide United's three coaches in the six seasons of the A-League. This is based on the traditional formula where a draw counts as half a win (though there's 3 points for a win, it's still widely used as such) and a penalty shoot-out counts as a draw.

John Kosmina
Total A-League games including finals: 49
Won: 23
Drawn: 10
Lost: 16
Success rate: 57.14%

Aurelio Vidmar
Total A-League games including finals: 73
Won: 25
Drawn: 21
Lost: 27
Success rate: 48.63%

Rini Coolen
Total A-League games to date: 30
Won: 15
Drawn: 5
Lost: 10
Success rate: 58.33%

The 50 points from 30 games fares less well on a points-per-game ratio than 05/06 and 08/09 (although you could argue that it's a higher standard league than those seasons), but Coolen's rate so far is better than the overall rates of Kosmina and Vidmar. Hopefully by the time his contract ends, he will be the most successful and revered coach in AUFC history.
shinAUFC
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter

Re: Success rates of coaches

Postby shinAUFC Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:51 pm

its interesting to look at but very hard to compare properly.

In the Kosmina era the league IMO was more lop sided.

With vidmar there were times we were playing acl and wcc that had an effect on our performance in the A-league.

I will say though, Vidmar i think saw AU as a stepping stone for his career where as Rini i think wants to create something for the long term not just a trophy for his CV
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
The voice in our head is the final judge
David Votoupal
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Marcos Flores

Postby David Votoupal Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:46 pm

its interesting to look at but very hard to compare properly.

In the Kosmina era the league IMO was more lop sided.

With vidmar there were times we were playing acl and wcc that had an effect on our performance in the A-league.

I will say though, Vidmar i think saw AU as a stepping stone for his career where as Rini i think wants to create something for the long term not just a trophy for his CV
Vidmar had two poor A-League seasons and one good one. The two poor seasons exhibited his poor tactics and man-management, especially last season.
Old Gregg
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Cassiooooooooooo

Postby Old Gregg Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:59 pm

Vidmar had two poor A-League seasons and one good one. The two poor seasons exhibited his poor tactics and man-management, especially last season.
So what did the season where we finished 2nd in league and finals (both by a whisker) exhibit? :wink:
FWIW I think he was a good tactician but a poor man-manager (which is what ultimately caused his demise).

Don't get me wrong, I'm very happy we have Coolen now, but there were other factors at play during our poor seasons under Vidmar.
All I need is some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine.
Interloper

Postby Interloper Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:22 pm

I think Rini is great, but I'm definitely not sold on him. Adelaide would have barely scraped into the finals if the record since the end of the winning streak had been maintained over 30 rounds. Past coaches have suffered similarly of course, but the squad was A LOT more threadbare in those first 11 rounds.
Adrian

Postby Adrian Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:14 am

Seasons qualified for the finals.

Kosmina: 100%
Coolen: 100%
Vidmar: 33%
Agostinho
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Jeronicello Ferreira

Postby Agostinho Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:01 am

Seasons qualified for the ACL.

Kosmina 100%
Vidmar 33%
Coolen TBA
#WeAreUnited
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:09 am

Someone compare viddies acl record to any other coach
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
Steelinho
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Yuujiin Garekkobicchi

Postby Steelinho Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:40 pm

So what did the season where we finished 2nd in league and finals (both by a whisker) exhibit? :wink:
FWIW I think he was a good tactician but a poor man-manager (which is what ultimately caused his demise).

Don't get me wrong, I'm very happy we have Coolen now, but there were other factors at play during our poor seasons under Vidmar.
Nail = hit on head. It also didn't help that there were a lot of changes he wanted made to the club that were refused (hence the infamous post-match meltdown).

If you take all competitions into account, which really should be done if you want something even slightly resembling a fair and unbiased evaluation, Vidmar had a 53.5% success rate with the club.
Adrian

Postby Adrian Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:25 pm

No of worst seasons in the club's history so far.

Coolen 0
Kosmina 1
Vidmar 2
Brawn69

Postby Brawn69 Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:12 pm

I still think Vidmar's biggest influence was not his coaching but his recruiting.
Cassio
Van Dyke
Reid
Flores
Eugene
Burns
Jamo
Hughes (mk2 is ok)
Anyone else i missed?
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:09 pm

Leckie
Steelinho
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Yuujiin Garekkobicchi

Postby Steelinho Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:42 am

+ Sasa, the conversion of Barbiero into an attacking mid, etc., etc.
philthy

Postby philthy Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:16 pm

So really viddie was quite underrated? If memory serves me right Carl Veart found Flores and Stubbins and Birra found Leckie. Rini seems to be doing one thing that Kosmina and Viddie couldnt and thats taking the (there is probably better words) pissant mentality from our CLUB,notably with his professionalism and confidence,he is influencing us and passing on a winners mentality. Although we have won lots previously something didnt sit right it felt like we were part-time professionals and now we are turning full time(i hope you understand what im saying,im not sure if i do!) but that is just the feeling i get when i look back,there seemed to always be an excuse now i dont think there is one.
Seanason_AU

Postby Seanason_AU Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:30 pm

Fuck, i thought we were over the Vidmar bashing.

Vidmar got us to within 1 goal of a championship and second for the premiers plate on Goals Scored. Without ACL game we would have smashed the league and without Breeze as Ref we probably would have won that GF.

I really dont see the point of jumping on and attacking someone who isnt with the club anymore. Especially the man who put Adelaide United on the map in Asia and the World. Fuck, the man got us 1 game away from playing Manchester United. Fell short by 1 goal there too, thanks to some dodgy shooting (How Travis missed that sitter I'll never know).

The man did a lot for this club - and i really dont see the need to drag him through the mud. Maybe the forum was the pissant town he was referring to?

Return to “Adelaide United F.C.”