Flares: Our Stance

The only team for me - Adelaide United F.C!
Discuss the best football club in Australia!

Moderator: Moderators Group

Shane
Proud Adelaide United Supporter

Flares: Our Stance

Postby Shane Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:37 am

I posted this on footballnews.com.au in response to heated discussion about the flare ripping and other supporters whom are indirectly blaming the 'Red Army Group'.

For anyone, registered to the WATR forums or just browsing that queries the primary active support, please read this;

<rant>

The primary "Red Army Group", whom are the regulars that attend matches at Hindmarsh and members whom organise and initiate the active support and the marches, do not condone the flares. In fact, even outside of matchday there is a proactive mentality to other Reds fans that we do not want them ripped or thrown in amongst the active support. This anti-flare mentality has been around from the early days of the A-league's inception from when standunited.org existed.

There are loads of football supporters whom are not part of the primary "Red Army Group" that attend the blockbuster matches at Adelaide Oval (both Sydney and Melbourne) that are not seen at Hindmarsh. Some will immerse themselves, often in groups with their mates, right in the middle of the active support. In all honesty, you'll find that this is where the flare ripping comes from. You can think otherwise, but until you are in amongst this at every match and know the people primarily associated to the Red Army Group, it's all really piss-talk.

As much as everyone would like, it's impossible for the primary/regular active supporters to monitor the bandwagon active support on the blockbuster matchdays. It's just not feasible. However, in saying that, the majority will have eagle eyes and try to keep an eye out for them. The problem is that the lads surround each other, creating a wall and ripping the flares down low, which makes it really hard to find out whom did it unless you've got video or photo evidence at that particular time.

The Red Army Group are not the only people that organise the marches. The team from We Are The Reds, whom are long-standing Adelaide United supporters, also promote and lead the marches. We work side by side with the primary Red Army Group to try and entice clean active support, without the flare-ripping, etc.

Personally, I do not mind the flares from an atmosphere perspective - The colour they add and the effect they add is quite good and unique in our sport. However, I do not like them ripped near me as breathing that crap in isn't exactly the nicest feeling, and they do not exactly smell the best, do they?

If flares were perhaps ripped in a controlled environment, in a back-drop to a supporter environment (e.g. 3 flares let off behind a large crowd - creating a red wall of smoke) this would be the most safe, acceptable and effective method - in my opinion - but unfortunately the likelihood of that happening is slim.

Overall, I'll finish off with saying this;

If people on here sitting behind a keyboard think they have a right to advise the Red Army Group or anyone else that they should be monitoring a large group of 500+ people, I have an offer for you: Come down to the active supporters area in a fluro yellow council suit, stand in amongst the active support on blockbuster matchdays (both when we march and in the seating areas at Adelaide Oval) and show us how good your eagle eyes are by pointing out the flares rippers. When you spot one, point him out in front of all his mates and then locate a Weslo staff member at the same time to remove the said offender. Until then, or until you provide any other sustained and effective method of monitoring these offenders, it's all really a load of "he said she said" shite-talk.

</rant>
Shano. Red to the core.

Return to “Adelaide United F.C.”