Worst ever player/s to put on an Adelaide United top?

The only team for me - Adelaide United F.C!
Discuss the best football club in Australia!

Moderator: Moderators Group

shinAUFC
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter

Re: Worst ever player/s to put on an Adelaide United top?

Postby shinAUFC Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:50 pm

I rate this the worst thread so far of WATR's

Club is travelling better on and off the pitch better then have been for a very long time and threads like this pop up.

Its an adelaide thing i suppose, but thats just me
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
The voice in our head is the final judge
David Votoupal
Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Marcos Flores

Postby David Votoupal Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:00 pm

Every fan forum has had a thread like this. Big deal.
werner
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Cassio

Postby werner Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:07 pm

Not into bagging our own players, but I'm hardly upset that Shin has been let go.
Nash
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Eugene and Cassio

Postby Nash Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:53 am

It's got to be giraldi> van dommelle> owusu> louis brain > ceccoli(didn't have to play to be a donkey) > cristiano > Rees

Most hated things? Kemp saying Melbourne was a better club than AU and kossies arrogance, ross's back passes and free kicks
You're having a laugh right? Behind SVD, second best goalscorer the club has ever had.

I would put Saric, Mattriciani, Younis, Giraldi, Monterosso before Cristiano
was curious a few weeks ago as to how Cristiano was travelling playing in a different tactic/formation (only assuming Tarxien Rainbows don't play Vidmaresque). Wiki, however true it actually is, states he's got 6 goals from 10 appearances. i hope so, am happy to hear him doing well. has said that for a few weeks though, so may be out of date... don't speak Maltese so can't check.

oh, and although i wasn't an AU fan during Louie Brain's time, there's no way Salisbury East High School would develop any disappointing player :wink: so it can't be true
upthebrum

Postby upthebrum Sat Jan 15, 2011 3:40 pm

Vidmar may not be the greatest manager ever but he did take us nearly all the way against Melbourne and in the ACL. The big slide in his third season was his downfall but it happens all the time in the football - the reasons were not all his own doing, yes, in hindsight we needed that shakeup but I think he still deserves respect for what he achieved.
Here is where it falls down. To say "it happens all the time in football" is subtly dismissive of the realities here. I have repeatedly stated that even a tolerance of mediocrity and failures is a potential poison for our game. And we've seen a good deal of improvement across the board this season, Thank God for that. I sincerely hope the FFA is mindful the league needs to maintain and improve standards to survive.

What exactly makes the A-League so different to other leagues, that it is easier for people to forgive failure?
You could draw comparisons with what happened to Rafa at Liverpool or Ancelotti with Chelsea this season... They achieved great things and then saw things turn to shit, similar to how things panned out for Viddie. Some people opt to show a bit of faith, others look to find a scapegoat. I'm not saying that either way is right or wrong, but I think that too stringent a backlash against perceived "mediocrity and failures" isn't always beneficial for a club - look at Real Madrid's record of hiring and firing managers and the resultant lack of stability and success that they've had to endure since del Bosque left the club...
upthebrum

Postby upthebrum Sat Jan 15, 2011 3:41 pm

For what it's worth, my worst player would be Bajic. Not necessarily in terms of ability, more along the lines of mental stability.
David Votoupal
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Marcos Flores

Postby David Votoupal Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:28 pm

You could draw comparisons with what happened to Rafa at Liverpool or Ancelotti with Chelsea this season... They achieved great things and then saw things turn to shit, similar to how things panned out for Viddie. Some people opt to show a bit of faith, others look to find a scapegoat. I'm not saying that either way is right or wrong, but I think that too stringent a backlash against perceived "mediocrity and failures" isn't always beneficial for a club - look at Real Madrid's record of hiring and firing managers and the resultant lack of stability and success that they've had to endure since del Bosque left the club...
I wholeheartedly believe that changing and chopping managers is not a good idea, in normal circumstances. But if a manager cannot take a club forward, if there is stagnation, or if the manager's presence has a detrimental effect on the club on and off the field, then there are grounds for change.

Liverpool have been a case of a club whose failures this season are the culmination of 20 years of constant screw-ups. Souness, Evans, Houllier and Benitez all had cup successes, and fluke ones at that, yet all of them ultimately fizzled out in the end. These failures are more astonishing when you consider Liverpool were certainly not small spenders. But Liverpool's problems (like those at Everton, I will add) go a lot deeper than managers.
For what it's worth, my worst player would be Bajic. Not necessarily in terms of ability, more along the lines of mental stability.
He sure cost United dearly back in V3. No wins in the first five games, Bajic directly at fault for eminently preventable goals. When Beltrame replaced him, United suddenly won games!
Steelinho
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Yuujiin Garekkobicchi

Postby Steelinho Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:51 pm

was curious a few weeks ago as to how Cristiano was travelling playing in a different tactic/formation (only assuming Tarxien Rainbows don't play Vidmaresque). Wiki, however true it actually is, states he's got 6 goals from 10 appearances. i hope so, am happy to hear him doing well. has said that for a few weeks though, so may be out of date... don't speak Maltese so can't check.
Apparently, according to regularly-updated stats, he's scored only 3 goals in the league this season.
You won't need to understand Maltese to get any information, though. Pretty much EVERY Maltese football website is in plain English.

Anyway, Cristiano hasn't scored since December 4 in a 4-2 away win, but not sure if he's played since then or anything else. He was blasting them in regularly in the off-season, so God knows what's happened since. Tarxien have three other players who've scored more than him, but the league hasn't exactly been a high-scoring affair (with exception to Terrence Scerri on 12 goals... who I noticed, with thanks to Google, looks a LOT like Karem Benzema). Might have to look further into that.
Steelinho
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Yuujiin Garekkobicchi

Postby Steelinho Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:59 pm

In fact, Ange Postecoglou was a candidate for the job before Vidmar got it, hindsight and all...
Invalid. We have no idea what Postecoglou would have been like back then, he had only done his Pro Diploma course shortly before joining the Roar. There's no guarantee his ability would have been anywhere near what it is now.
ZANZIBAR
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Owen Goal

Postby ZANZIBAR Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:38 pm

Bump.....Bruce Djite anyone?
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:06 pm

The guy is a champion around here and had an absolute shocker today, im sure there is no one more pissed then bruce right now, imo only super fickle fans could possibly think this way
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
The voice in our head is the final judge
rug21
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Van Dijk

Postby rug21 Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:52 pm

The guy is a champion around here and had an absolute shocker today, im sure there is no one more pissed then bruce right now, imo only super fickle fans could possibly think this way
The super fickle fans behind me today wanted to sub him off after 16 mins. And they were happy to see hughes back here, only because they thought he was the crappest player we had ever had, must not have watched any games last season.

The only problem with being a gold member is having complete morons who have no idea what they are talking about sitting behind you at every home game.
ZANZIBAR
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Owen Goal

Postby ZANZIBAR Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:06 pm

haha, i can hear the fishing line getting thrown out here....
super fickle??? i never thought bruce was that great and have said it since he first joined with burns. and it's because im loyal to the club and want them to succeed and not fickle that i don't want bruce starting games
but hey, thats what forums are for, attacking fellow supporters for their opinions? not for discussion; ie, asking if bruce is the worst??
it is meant as a bit of tounge in cheek, he is obviously not the worst, but atleast a few took my fishing line and went with it. :mrgreen:
ade-qpr

Postby ade-qpr Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:58 pm

Greg Owens for saying he was fit for the 2007 Grand Final but had a hamstring injury :x :x :x
Agostinho
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Jeronicello Ferreira

Postby Agostinho Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:39 am

Djite works hard, but good grief this wasn't a one off. He's really not a very good finisher.

Its not like he doesn't bring anything to the team though - his name certainly doesn't belong in this thread.
#WeAreUnited

Return to “Adelaide United F.C.”