Why would you be a fan of MV?

The only team for me - Adelaide United F.C!
Discuss the best football club in Australia!

Moderator: Moderators Group

EdDog
Proud Adelaide United Supporter

Re: Why would you be a fan of MV?

Postby EdDog Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:20 am

Melbourne as a city is better then Adelaide
That's just a personal opinion, I'm sure many people love Adelaide like myself. I've been to Melbourne countless times and whilst it is a nice, more iconic city, I'd rather live in Adelaide any day.

And as for the rivalry, it has existed for years through many different codes. AFL with the State of Origin for example.

There is definitely a bitter rivalry between AU and MV. They know it, we know it. It's what makes the games so exciting for both teams.
flavze

Postby flavze Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:35 pm

tbh the whole "adelaide is a hole, a small country town" makes me laugh. As a country boy it's such stupid line to use as it's nothing like one.

Adelaide as a city pretty much has everything the "big" cities have just in smaller amounts. If big, smelly dirty crowded towers of concrete is ya thing than sure you'll find Melbourne better. If ya want a felling of a bit of space and the convienance of less traffic, less people and the more relaxed atmosphere/slower pace of life that most people are chasing nowdays than Adelaide will appeal to you more.

It's interesting that almost all the English people that i have talked to that have come here love Adelaide for those reasons, part of the reason many of them have left England to get away from the large cities.

But each to there own tbh, but i do agree that you don't choose to follow a team, your team chooses you.
shinAUFC
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter

Postby shinAUFC Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:12 pm

tbh the whole "adelaide is a hole, a small country town" makes me laugh. As a country boy it's such stupid line to use as it's nothing like one.

Adelaide as a city pretty much has everything the "big" cities have just in smaller amounts. If big, smelly dirty crowded towers of concrete is ya thing than sure you'll find Melbourne better. If ya want a felling of a bit of space and the convienance of less traffic, less people and the more relaxed atmosphere/slower pace of life that most people are chasing nowdays than Adelaide will appeal to you more.

It's interesting that almost all the English people that i have talked to that have come here love Adelaide for those reasons, part of the reason many of them have left England to get away from the large cities.

But each to there own tbh, but i do agree that you don't choose to follow a team, your team chooses you.
yeah ill pay that!!
I ges if adelaide did have that same culture as victory id still follow the club but wouldnt be so proud ...

Adelaide is a large country town, awsome beaches laid back attitude , if thats what ur into then adelaide is ur place,

I love melbourne and sydney also but couldnt live there
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
The voice in our head is the final judge
Mr. Happy
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Paul Reid.
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: We're not full of convicts...

Postby Mr. Happy Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:34 pm

Thing about England is there's so many big cities they just become pointless, take Bradford for example, one of the biggest cities in England and there's nothing there because why would an investor put anything into Bradford when you have Leeds next door and Manchester only 30mins away? Adelaide has everything for me, I always laugh when people say Adelaide's boring because I'm into some rather niche things such as Ice Hockey, Gridiron and Professional Wrestling and they're all in Adelaide at just a Google search away, only thing I can think that Melbourne has over Adelaide is a multitude of designer shopping outlets, but Adelaide has plenty compared to lots of English cities, certainly as many as Leeds. And I'm hardly a fashionista anyway (he says wearing his 1994 Republic of Ireland shirt).
Cats, Sex and Nazis that's why they call me Mr. Happy!
David Votoupal
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Marcos Flores

Postby David Votoupal Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:46 pm

Having said that MV are now in my opinion the Collingwood of the A-league (especially now we have Melbourne Heart which I like as a club) they play like a bunch of bogans and the more out spoken supporters of MV are numbskulled bogans too (some of their comments on TWG website definitely back that up!)
But the same could be said for Liverpool or Leeds! Two clubs with half a pea between them, big mouth and no brains.

I find Adelaide to be a pleasant city with friendly people.

But there is also this notion that Adelaide is a typical "big city with small town syndrome" due to its intense parochialism and status, and the truth bears out and reflects perfectly in Adelaide United.
Ummm... there are many English cities smaller than Adelaide, and some barely larger than it. And some areas, like the north-east and Merseyside, are intensely paroachial and with similar attitudes to Adelaide.
blahblah
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: the kit bag guy
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Bound for South Australia

Postby blahblah Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:53 pm

I have a Norwegian friend here who recently went to Perth, Adelaide and Melbourne. On his return he raved about Adelaide, particularly the botanical gardens and the parklands, and wondered why everyone kept talking about how great Melbourne was. I laughed.
Mr. Happy

Postby Mr. Happy Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:55 pm

DV, what has this thread got to do with either Liverpool and Leeds, only comparison I can think of is that like Melbourne Victory and Adelaide in Australia, Liverpool and Leeds are clubs that everybody has an opinion of wether it be for better or worse and I'd much rather support a club that generates opinion than one of your middle of the road clubs like Central Coast or Everton.
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:00 pm

I have a Norwegian friend here who recently went to Perth, Adelaide and Melbourne. On his return he raved about Adelaide, particularly the botanical gardens and the parklands, and wondered why everyone kept talking about how great Melbourne was. I laughed.
Went to perth for the bonjovi concert a month back, got chatting with ppl at the concert as you do, they told us how adelaide is so boring.... so we asked them

"what can you do here we cant do in adelaide"

their reply.." point taken " didnt think much of perth but at the end of the day its all subjective.

But how many citys do you have beautiful beaches one side, hills and national parks behind and the other 2 sides an abundance of wineries surrounding us... yeah we suck right lol

the grass is always greener on the other side
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
Agostinho
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Jeronicello Ferreira

Postby Agostinho Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:03 pm

Yeah, but there are plenty of English people who knock Adelaide as well. It's each to their own.

I'm not knocking Adelaide by the way - I love the place. It's not my favourite city in Australia, but it's my hometown and I'll always love it.
#WeAreUnited
Mr. Happy

Postby Mr. Happy Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:05 pm

Had a mate from Bradford who lived in Melbourne (since gone back to Bfd) but he visted us in Adelaide during which time he spent most of his time queuing to get into the Elephant, still, absolutely loved Adelaide.

Same guy worked as a coach for MV but when we went over to Melb for the game he met us in the pub, bought a Red Army shirt and stood with us in the away end singing and chanting along with us.
Agostinho

Postby Agostinho Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:07 pm

Same guy worked as a coach for MV but when we went over to Melb for the game he met us in the pub, bought a Red Army shirt and stood with us in the away end singing and chanting along with us.
Brilliant!
#WeAreUnited
double07
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Cirio

Postby double07 Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:25 pm

Went to perth for the bonjovi concert a month back, got chatting with ppl at the concert as you do, they told us how adelaide is so boring.... so we asked them

Go to a bonjovi concert one would assume? :wink:
Agostinho

Postby Agostinho Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:49 pm

SA avoided Bon Jovi?

Let's go to the leaderboard, Mike.

Adelaide 1
Brisbane 0
Melbourne 0
Perth 0
Sydney 0
#WeAreUnited
Mr. Happy

Postby Mr. Happy Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:17 pm

SA avoided Bon Jovi?

Let's go to the leaderboard, Mike.

Adelaide 1
Brisbane 0
Melbourne 0
Perth 0
Sydney 0
Coated Fort Ruth.
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:35 pm

haha oh come on, dont you all want to drunkenly sing living on a prayer with the real bonjovi once in ur life :P

Return to “Adelaide United F.C.”