New rectangular stadium in Adelaide?

The only team for me - Adelaide United F.C!
Discuss the best football club in Australia!

Moderator: Moderators Group

bpowell454
Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Adlung

Re: New rectangular stadium in Adelaide?

Postby bpowell454 Sun Sep 20, 2015 9:01 pm

, but the outcome was the redeveloped Adelaide Oval, which is now unquestionably the best sports stadium in the country.
it is great now as it is new and shiny but in a few years will be looked back as wrecking one of the top 3 traditional cricket grounds in the world.
Respectfully disagree. It has single handedly turned the inner city area upside down - all for the better.
Yup, its not the greatest ground but it was essentially the catalyst for more plans to further redevelop the river bank in the future, I for one hope those plans go through.

Sure we lost a heritage/traditional ground, but it was a step towards the future and letting go of holding on to the past. Its something Adelaide as a city had to finally do.
For me that's why they have to finish the job and get rid of the hill and the old scoreboard, they just look out of place and the stadium looks 3/4 finished.
Agree so much, fill in the hill, put the scoreboard in a museum. My only problem with the oval is the viewing for football, I dont attend other sports so I dont get the benefits of the oval, but I see it as a very positive move. The more 'heritage' shackles Adelaide can break the better off we will be as a state and will be seen as less of a back water IMO.

I dont know how many others on here sit in the western grandstand at coopers but I think the members reserved seating should be on the eastern stand at AO in the 2nd tier. The western stand in AO is fucking terrible and is cheaper season tickets for the AFL than the eastern stand.

Or dont have reserved seating for the AO game and everyone has to purchase tickets for the game, members get pre sale and regular discount.
ThePhilthiest
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: jeggo

Postby ThePhilthiest Mon Sep 21, 2015 1:13 am

I took my kids to see Adelaide v malaga at Adelaide Oval as it was a bit of a spectacle..because of that i now have a pet lizard called chelo and a daughter who sings uuuuuuunited every time they are on...that stuff is priceless,no matter the view...since the redevelopment the variety of event including football has grown and variety is supposed to be the spice of life..
sevengoals
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: all of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Expand the league now!

Postby sevengoals Mon Sep 21, 2015 1:31 am

Welcome to the forum ThePhilthiest.
" There was, he added, no room for spin, showmanship, hubris or “any of the feelings of invincibility” that so often shackle nations with an imperial past ... " - - -

Pies: 3867

No Roots, No Growth!
blahblah
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: the kit bag guy
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Bound for South Australia

Postby blahblah Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:17 am

I took my kids to see Adelaide v malaga at Adelaide Oval as it was a bit of a spectacle..because of that i now have a pet lizard called chelo and a daughter who sings uuuuuuunited every time they are on...that stuff is priceless,no matter the view...since the redevelopment the variety of event including football has grown and variety is supposed to be the spice of life..
That is probably the most eloquent description of the value of having the occasional game at Adelaide Oval that I have come across.
Futbol_Crazy21
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isaias
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: all of them

Postby Futbol_Crazy21 Mon Sep 21, 2015 1:13 pm

The point being the economic growth of the city and arrival to the current century has advantages to us all regardless if we care to visit the city or not.

Adelaide really has been in the dark ages forever but things are changing.
You keep believing that.
I assume a rebuttal that isn't the equivalent of a child saying "nuh-uh" is coming up?

Otherwise mcjules summed it up nicely. They look for a net positive in public opinion, I would say they achieved that with AO.
You can't please everyone. Looking at attendances across the board at Adelaide Oval and the increase in hotel reservations etc that have occurred in the last couple of years it's obvious that it was a good move.

If some don't want to catch a bus or train and walk a miniscule distance to the ground or enjoy the amenities available in the city before or after then that's their problem. There are plenty that do.
Well put.
the 2nd james

Postby the 2nd james Mon Sep 21, 2015 3:47 pm

You can't please everyone. Looking at attendances across the board at Adelaide Oval and the increase in hotel reservations etc that have occurred in the last couple of years it's obvious that it was a good move.
i would guess that the amount of interstate hotel reservations and tourism would no way in hell exceed the $600m that was spent on the project and that is what matters.
the 2nd james

Postby the 2nd james Mon Sep 21, 2015 3:53 pm

Also, you fellas going on about the good vibes and whatnot in the city, you'd expect some good vibes for $600m wouldn't you?

The main points are as a net investment for the state it was a loss and it is no longer a historic venue so will deteriorate over time as it loses its newness and shininess.
mcjules
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Bruce Djite

Postby mcjules Mon Sep 21, 2015 4:04 pm

i would guess that the amount of interstate hotel reservations and tourism would no way in hell exceed the $600m that was spent on the project and that is what matters.
Of course it hasn't... yet.
AFL games at the Adelaide Oval generated about $77.4 million of new revenue in the CBD - directly associated with attendance at AFL games in the city - more than three times the expected amount.
http://www.adelaideoval.com.au/newsdeta ... -oval.aspx
So from AFL they've generated more than they expected and it doesn't include big tourism drawing events such as the India/Pakistan cricket world cup game where it was very hard to find a hotel room and the Rolling Stones concert. Liverpool this year would be another.
Also, you fellas going on about the good vibes and whatnot in the city, you'd expect some good vibes for $600m wouldn't you?

The main points are as a net investment for the state it was a loss and it is no longer a historic venue so will deteriorate over time as it loses its newness and shininess.
Yes we would and we're getting it.

I doubt many are going because it's at the Adelaide Oval (though I think some of the AFL games it may be the case), the main reason is that with a multi-purpose 55,000 seat stadium in the middle of the city we are able to attract bigger and higher quality events. That's unlikely to degrade much over time.

What value does a virtually single purpose historic venue have? Far less than what the new Adelaide Oval has for sure.
Futbol_Crazy21

Postby Futbol_Crazy21 Mon Sep 21, 2015 4:19 pm

It takes time to recoup the investment.
But think macro scale. With the stadium redeveloped, it brings people into the city, for what? 22 weeks minimum in year? (Don't follow AFL, don't know how many rounds there are nowadays). That provides a boost to the city's economy every week for that time (not to mention cricket, other sports etc, other events like concerts). People go to the city pre-game, they spend money on food, drinks, they might shop a bit, then theres the post-game activities, transport, yada-yada-yada. Simply, it gets people in the city and promotes the flow of money from people to local business. Essentially money creation.
Aami stadium provided barely any of this.

With increased economic activity, it lures in more businesses or government spending to essentially ride the wave and build more things on the riverbank or city etc, each capable in its own capacity to make the city and even better place to spend your day and spend the $$$.

I might have gone on a tangent, but to finish, the positives, have and do, outweigh the negatives in so many aspects e.g subjective match day experiences.
the 2nd james

Postby the 2nd james Mon Sep 21, 2015 4:51 pm

i would guess that tourism is about nil if we're honest, one off events like the cricket world cup don't recoup $600m.

The other argument about keeping money in the state is more difficult to prove that's why those that stand to benefit use it. It's hard to show that the AFL fan's leisure money wasn't going to be spent elsewhere in the state. I think it will become moot because it's still early days and the crowds are due to newness not location imo and the buzz won't last, but things are flying now for sure.
the 2nd james

Postby the 2nd james Mon Sep 21, 2015 4:52 pm

What value does a virtually single purpose historic venue have? Far less than what the new Adelaide Oval has for sure.
they get run down over time, whereas a historic venue only gets better.

no doubt there is some cost saving from using the venue more.
mcjules

Postby mcjules Mon Sep 21, 2015 5:18 pm

i would guess that tourism is about nil if we're honest, one off events like the cricket world cup don't recoup $600m.
You would guess but it is very obviously wrong.
Cricket World Cup: India-Pakistan match at Adelaide Oval draws 60,000 visitors to city
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-02-15/t ... ch/6098540
I think it will become moot because it's still early days and the crowds are due to newness not location imo
Just like Etihad Stadium and the MCG never sell out anymore for big events that they draw.
they get run down over time, whereas a historic venue only gets better.
Historic venues require up keep as well. There is only so much benefit from the venue itself, people at the end of the day go to the venue to watch events and the new Adelaide Oval blows the old one out of the water in this regard.
mcjules

Postby mcjules Mon Sep 21, 2015 5:24 pm

Futbol_Crazy21

Postby Futbol_Crazy21 Mon Sep 21, 2015 5:32 pm

Historical venues are well known for their indestructibility and imperviousness to wear and tear. I guess they don't make em' like they used to. Where's a kid I can yell at to get off my lawn?
mcjules

Postby mcjules Mon Sep 21, 2015 5:36 pm

Historical venues are well known for their indestructibility and imperviousness to wear and tear. I guess they don't make em' like they used to. Where's a kid I can yell at to get off my lawn?
You can help Griffin up at Ridley reserve to yell at Timmy.

Return to “Adelaide United F.C.”