Fyfe to Iran?

The only team for me - Adelaide United F.C!
Discuss the best football club in Australia!

Moderator: Moderators Group

Interloper
Proud Adelaide United Supporter

Re: Fyfe to Iran?

Postby Interloper Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:29 am

2. A member of a religion founded after Islam (Zoroastrianism being a big one)
Zoroastrianism predates Islam by at least 1200 years with Zoroaster's writings possibly a millenium earlier. It also predates and influences Christianity and Judaism (as it is understood Today anyway. I don't think polytheism would go down to well with Today's Jews.) The "Pharisees" (aka "Parsis" or "Persians",) of the Christian New Testament were a sect of Judaism heavily influenced by Zoroastrianism.

They also don't like Sunni Muslims in Iran much either.
mcjules
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Bruce Djite

Postby mcjules Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:36 am

2. A member of a religion founded after Islam (Zoroastrianism being a big one)
Zoroastrianism predates Islam by at least 1200 years with Zoroaster's writings possibly a millenium earlier. It also predates and influences Christianity and Judaism (as it is understood Today anyway. I don't think polytheism would go down to well with Today's Jews.) The "Pharisees" (aka "Parsis" or "Persians",) of the Christian New Testament were a sect of Judaism heavily influenced by Zoroastrianism.

They also don't like Sunni Muslims in Iran much either.
You're right, it's one of the oldest monotheist religions in the world. I actually meant the Bahá'í which was also founded in Iran in the 1800s and there are a significant number.

Sorry I really should check my facts rather than go off the top of my head when I talk about such touchy subjects! :bang:
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:18 am

I don't think I'm deluded. Obviously it's not as bad as the media make it out to be as some of the forum members have pointed out to me.

I was a bit harsh saying it was a terrible move for him - in my mind I was referring to the contrasting cultures of Adelaide and Iran and that it might be more dangerous for his family. Which again, some people having pointed out isn't necessarily true.

I don't think all Iranians walk around with dynamite strapped to their stomach and always want to car bomb Western interests as if it's the Team America movie. I know it's only the extremists which are the problem and they make up a very small percentage of the population and the rest of the population is quite liberal. But it would be naive to pretend there are not risks with travelling to some of those parts when compared to little old Adelaide.

Similarly, I have some friends in Egypt who are lovely people who live in a lovely country but they still speak of the political and religious conflict in their region. You can't pretend it doesn't happen.

Back to the topic - it doesn't have to be me who is comfortable with the move, just Fyfe and his family.
Your not deluded or ignorant dude. Anyone who thinks say you are would probably be trying to cover up their ignorances after they did a wiki search to inform themselves

Its a fair error to make considering public perceptions of the middle east.

Its the beauty of the round ball game really, in that you get exposed to so many different cultures
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
The voice in our head is the final judge
ChillyPhilly
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Allllllll of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: 'Adelaide, I love you!'

Postby ChillyPhilly Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:50 pm

I don't think I'm deluded. Obviously it's not as bad as the media make it out to be as some of the forum members have pointed out to me.

I was a bit harsh saying it was a terrible move for him - in my mind I was referring to the contrasting cultures of Adelaide and Iran and that it might be more dangerous for his family. Which again, some people having pointed out isn't necessarily true.

I don't think all Iranians walk around with dynamite strapped to their stomach and always want to car bomb Western interests as if it's the Team America movie. I know it's only the extremists which are the problem and they make up a very small percentage of the population and the rest of the population is quite liberal. But it would be naive to pretend there are not risks with travelling to some of those parts when compared to little old Adelaide.

Similarly, I have some friends in Egypt who are lovely people who live in a lovely country but they still speak of the political and religious conflict in their region. You can't pretend it doesn't happen.

Back to the topic - it doesn't have to be me who is comfortable with the move, just Fyfe and his family.
Your not deluded or ignorant dude. Anyone who thinks say you are would probably be trying to cover up their ignorances after they did a wiki search to inform themselves

Its a fair error to make considering public perceptions of the middle east.

Its the beauty of the round ball game really, in that you get exposed to so many different cultures
Well said.
Adelaide United FC: our club, our city, our state.
bundibundi

Postby bundibundi Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:37 pm

Any actual news on this? I'm all for comparing dick sizes/wiki wars, but that's what reds' ramble's for. Would prefer boogs out. But all the best if he goes. Playing in front of 100k or whatever ridiculous amount of people they fit into their stadiums over there would be nice,
EdDog

Postby EdDog Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:33 pm

No update from the club as yet. They seem pretty keen on offloading a CB judging by Gombau's statement that we have too many CBs in his recent TWG interview.

Seems like if the Iranian club want him, then the club will make it happen.

As for Boogs, it seems he'll be second choice to Golec and McKain this year anyway. Judging by preseason games anyway.
ChillyPhilly

Postby ChillyPhilly Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:08 pm

Word that Fyfe is leaving on a free transfer, $275k deal. Not bad!
RedsUnited
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: They all leave

Postby RedsUnited Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:29 pm

Free transfer? Didn't he just re-sign with us? So I'd imagine there'd be a healthy transfer fee as well...
sevengoals
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: all of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Expand the league now!

Postby sevengoals Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:58 pm

What is a "free transfer, $275k deal"?

Who gets the cash?
The beard or the club?

Anyway good luck Mr.Fyfe and thank you for your hard work.
" There was, he added, no room for spin, showmanship, hubris or “any of the feelings of invincibility” that so often shackle nations with an imperial past ... " - - -

Pies: 3867

No Roots, No Growth!
RedsUnited
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: They all leave

Postby RedsUnited Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:11 pm

The way I read the Roar article, it sounded like the figure quoted was Fyfe's salary. Not sure about any transfer fees though.
supsup

Postby supsup Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:29 pm

Maybe we've decided to let him go for free because he doesn't fit Gumby's vision? That would be fair enough. No point dragging it out, and besides, we need to let someone go to balance the squad.
ChillyPhilly

Postby ChillyPhilly Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:02 am

He could have asked for a release.
double07
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Cirio

Postby double07 Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:44 am

@Ian_Fyfes_Beard (https://twitter.com/Ian_Fyfes_Beard) will be devo.
Old Gregg
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Cassiooooooooooo

Postby Old Gregg Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:25 am

Fyfe to Mes Kerman. Kerman looks like a very interesting place, what an adventure eh. Good luck Fyfey!

http://www.goal.com/en-au/news/4019/tra ... mes-kerman
The experienced stopper will be plying his trade in the Persian Gulf rather than South Australia after completing a switch from Hindmarsh to Shahid Bahonar Stadium

Defender Iain Fyfe has left Adelaide United for Iranian club Mes Kerman.

Fyfe, 31, has joined the Iran Pro League outfit on a free transfer, signing a deal understood to be worth $US260,000.

New Reds coach Josep Gombau has made no secret of his desire to move on some players, drawing attention to a surplus of centre-backs during his first months in charge at Hindmarsh Stadium.

And Adelaide made no attempt to block Fyfe's departure to the Middle East, publicly announcing last week they were allowing him to travel to Iran to meet with his prospective employers.
All I need is some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine.
EdDog

Postby EdDog Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:16 am

Good luck to him.

So this has opened up another spot on the roster - who are we going to sign now?

Return to “Adelaide United F.C.”