Flores to Portland?

The only team for me - Adelaide United F.C!
Discuss the best football club in Australia!

Moderator: Moderators Group

RedsFan31
Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Cassio
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: We are the Army

Re: Flores to Portland?

Postby RedsFan31 Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:22 am

Hang on, don't Marquees have to have represented their country at full international level?

Marcos doesn't qualify does he?

As i understand it the player simply has to be approved for the marquee spot by the FFA. I'm not privy to the criteria they base this on but international caps is certainly not a factor. As mentioned Ricardinho has never represented Brazil at any level and clearly if he can meet marquee criteria the reigning Johnny Warren medalist can :wink:
We didn't underestimate them. They were just a lot better than we thought. - Sir Bobby Robson
shinAUFC
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter

Postby shinAUFC Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:07 am

Aussie marquee needs to have played australian internationals, as far as i know international marquees are fine.

Going by the article it seems flores wants to be here longer and his heart is here.

If this is the case, make him a marquee and tie him down for a good while! Sure if the club gets an offer they cant refuse then it will have to act accordingly.

IMO Flores and Van dijk are 2 players that we need to keep at almost any cost. Sure we may get a transfer fee but you wont find a player as effect as these guys for the money they earn
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
The voice in our head is the final judge
Steelinho
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Yuujiin Garekkobicchi

Postby Steelinho Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:30 am

IMO Flores and Van dijk are 2 players that we need to keep at almost any cost. Sure we may get a transfer fee but you wont find a player as effect as these guys for the money they earn
Considering everyone seems to be throwing around the M-word with Marcos, I don't think that's really a point to be made.

Personally, if we can get decent money for any one of our players, I'm for it. It gives us a better reputation as a stepping stone for bigger and better things, leading to better players happily signing for us with what could potentially be less money, hence making our side stronger, in turn allowing us to be much more competitive, then selling them for more and more money, thus helping us continually earn more and build our club into some kind of A-League monolith.

It's the FC Porto model. They've made it a success, so I don't see why we shouldn't do the same, if we have the people in charge that can make it work for us.
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:49 am

i completely agree with you,

Its the role ALL A-league clubs should be striving for IMO
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
The voice in our head is the final judge
Steelinho
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Yuujiin Garekkobicchi

Postby Steelinho Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:57 am

But one major problem is - and believe me, it really is a massive problem - is the mentality we have that it means we're suddenly going to be a "feeder club/league" and that we don't want to become that.

It's a chip on our shoulder that we need to fix. We should be promoting the idea of players being able to leave, while doing everything we can to ensure that each new player that comes in is equal or better than the last one that left.
Clubs also need to be better in managing contracts so that players aren't so easily snatch-able for nothing. And I don't mean the kind of abuse that Sydney FC have wrongfully dished out to Shimizu and for which has given all of us a bad name, but proper contract dealings.
flavze

Postby flavze Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:49 pm

there are certain leagues that if players have played in means they can qualify for Marquee, not sure what they are but it's the top ones in Europe and south america.

Don't think flores has played in them but if a player wins the JW medal it should make them marquee material if the club wants.

tbh i washappy to accept the $1 mill for him but i now reckon he would worth more in memberships, marketing, sponsorship and goodwill to the public staying here.

Hoping the club keeps him tbh, if they are breaking even atm he could be the differance in making a decent profit next year.
Futbol_Crazy21
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isaias
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: all of them

Postby Futbol_Crazy21 Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:08 pm

I would like to think it means AUFC are putting their best offer on the table.

we know we have a salary cap to consider and even if we did make him the marquee - the club need to consider the financial position of the club.
I agree, we also have to sign replacements for Dodd, corny, Leckie etc. So they might be taking that into consideration before they sign.
Stuckey
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Whichever Toure is playing
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Sha la la lala lalaaaa AUFC!

Postby Stuckey Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:23 pm

I would like to think it means AUFC are putting their best offer on the table.

we know we have a salary cap to consider and even if we did make him the marquee - the club need to consider the financial position of the club.
I agree, we also have to sign replacements for Dodd, corny, Leckie etc. So they might be taking that into consideration before they sign.
Yeah I'm sure the club has a set amount they would be willing to give him.

Replacing Leckie is going to be tough! He was only on the base $45,000 per year! How many clubs have one of the top 5 best players in the league on that!
Time to Djbate!
General Ashnak
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Pablo Sanchez

Postby General Ashnak Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:43 pm

Did you guys also catch Rini stating that AUFC is not the club to go to if you are after big bucks, but if you want to step up your career take the pay cut and we will help lift you to another level :D
Terry Pratchett wrote:
The thing about football - the important thing about football - is that it is not just about football.
ganas
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: CASSIOOOOOOOOOOOO

Postby ganas Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:03 pm

Did you guys also catch Rini stating that AUFC is not the club to go to if you are after big bucks, but if you want to step up your career take the pay cut and we will help lift you to another level :D
loved this!!!
i am really loving the direction the club is going in. i am the happiest i have ever been right now with the club.
David Votoupal
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Marcos Flores

Postby David Votoupal Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:49 pm

I am hopeful the club and others can retain a good quality of player because we can ill-afford a drop in the quality and entertainment in this league. Else we will be caught in a vicious cycle.
Dave in Port Redland
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Cirio
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: We are the reds (1day it will be sung)

Postby Dave in Port Redland Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:01 pm

Any news on this?

Is it done or is it speculation?
supsup

Postby supsup Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:57 pm

Not done. Flores knocked it back and asked Coolen for a word on what he should do. Flores' "heart is in Adelaide"..
Spiro
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Hugene and Cassio
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Rollin' Along

Postby Spiro Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:56 pm

My sources tell me its a done deal folks.
Salisbury Florina 2009 SAASL Sunday Premier League Champions

'Mon Gerard et al
Futbol_Crazy21
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isaias
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: all of them

Postby Futbol_Crazy21 Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:00 pm

My sources tell me its a done deal folks.
Do you mean he's signed an extension or his off to Portland?

Return to “Adelaide United F.C.”