Who's signed for next season

The only team for me - Adelaide United F.C!
Discuss the best football club in Australia!

Moderator: Moderators Group

shinAUFC
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter

Re: Who's signed for next season

Postby shinAUFC Fri Jul 31, 2015 1:10 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Sydney get docked points a few seasons ago for salary cap breaches?
Wasnt that season 1?

129k fine but keep the championship seems like a nice swap imo
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
The voice in our head is the final judge
bpowell454
Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Adlung

Postby bpowell454 Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:21 pm

Apparently the FFA are looking at changing to the marquee rule to make it possible for the clubs to have 2 foreign marqueee instead of the current 1 aussie and 1 foreign.

The foxsports article I read didnt say whether this would increase the amount of foreign players allowed in a team or if it just means you could move a 2nd foreigner outside the cap and bring all your aussies into the cap.
salmonfc
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Craig Goodwin

Postby salmonfc Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:41 pm

And now Griffin's having a whinge about it.

Every time he speaks to the media, he comes off as a whiny prick.
we da best
Jumbinho
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Hugene

Postby Jumbinho Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:47 pm

If it walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck...
EdDog

Postby EdDog Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:55 pm

I actually think he talked sense in that article. We can't afford to compete now. It does advantage the rich.
Futbol_Crazy21
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isaias
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: all of them

Postby Futbol_Crazy21 Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:22 pm

Melbourne Victory lose Oz marquee, can't find replacement........
Two international marquees! 2 months before the season starts! Brilliant!.........

True, but given the circumstances I'd be whinging as well, they just want to introduce a new rule 2 months before the season starts that in the short term just so happens to benefit MV......
Jumbinho

Postby Jumbinho Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:32 pm

Melbourne Victory lose Oz marquee, can't find replacement........
Two international marquees! 2 months before the season starts! Brilliant!.........

True, but given the circumstances I'd be whinging as well, they just want to introduce a new rule 2 months before the season starts that in the short term just so happens to benefit MV......
Before he goes off whingeing, it might pay him to realise that Kosta Barbarouses is from this place called New Zealand (not in Australia!) and Victory have already filled their foreign quota. The sky is not falling in just yet.

Thats my main problem with Griffin, always happy to run his business through the press, but his mouth always seems a couple of steps ahead of his brain.
EdDog

Postby EdDog Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:37 pm

Are New Zealander's considered foreigners for Australian clubs?
Futbol_Crazy21
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isaias
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: all of them

Postby Futbol_Crazy21 Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:40 pm

Before he goes off whingeing, it might pay him to realise that Kosta Barbarouses is from this place called New Zealand (not in Australia!) and Victory have already filled their foreign quota. The sky is not falling in just yet.

Thats my main problem with Griffin, always happy to run his business through the press, but his mouth always seems a couple of steps ahead of his brain.
Ah I forgot about Barbarouses *facepalm*. To be fair I don't think Griffin mentioned anything about that, he just said that MV and MC management liked the idea.
Jumbinho

Postby Jumbinho Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:46 pm

This was the particular Griffin quote I was referring to:

“Melbourne Victory can stand back now and not having an Australian marquee and they’ve had ample time to get an Australian marquee.

“But now they can off and buy another Berisha for a million dollars which gives them an enormous advantage.”
ChillyPhilly
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Allllllll of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: 'Adelaide, I love you!'

Postby ChillyPhilly Sat Aug 01, 2015 3:51 am

Are New Zealander's considered foreigners for Australian clubs?
Yes. Unless they hold an Australian passport (e.g. Shane Smeltz) or citizenship (Andrew Durante).
Adelaide United FC: our club, our city, our state.
mcjules
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Bruce Djite

Postby mcjules Sat Aug 01, 2015 1:43 pm

:shock: I kinda agree with Griffin :o

The problem with the Marquee rule is that it's just being used to put a couple of players outside the cap. Giving the east coast clubs the ability to sign two is starting to remove part of the purpose of the salary cap.

Piovaccari and Holosko are the latest two players to have come in as marquees. I watch a fair bit of euro football and I had never heard of either. They may be good players but they don't do much to boost media exposure, crowds or tv ratings.

If Melbourne City want to sign Villa and Pirlo as their two marquees and Victory Keane and Gerrard, AU would be applauding it but they're not using it this way. Instead we get Koren, Janko and the two aforementioned who while won't destroy the league, they could break open the odd game and earn a team an extra 3 points that they wouldn't have had otherwise.

Basically the FFA need to tighten up the rules so the marquee spots are used for their original intention. One other exception I'd make is for them to be used for players that have been in the league already and have become fan favourites as at least people know who they are. Examples of these are Broich, Berisha & Chelo.
red wombat
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isais

Postby red wombat Sat Aug 01, 2015 2:00 pm

The marquee system hasn't worked very well where clubs have simply thrown big money at players - SFC are prize examples there though it ADP worked on a commercial level. Where the system has been used to keep good players within a club or to improve what they have/need, it has been useful. However, nothing should dilute the Australian content of our league and this change will do exactly that. Personally, I think we already have too many foreigners within the league because although they're only a small part of the squad, they get played before locals (as they should) and thus become a large part of starting line-up. If they want more money to be available for players, they can make more money available for Australians. I think the league is getting beyond being a retirement home for old players now and being able to keep young players here longer or bring older players back earlier will make it stronger still. Bringing in more foreigners will work against that. Keep the league competitive (by not caving into the 'scrap the salary cap' call amongst other things) and the league will continue to improve. Make it a playground for four rich clubs and it will falter.
EdDog

Who's signed for next season

Postby EdDog Sat Aug 01, 2015 2:21 pm

Wasn't 10 minutes ago when the FFA wanted to reduce the import quota.

Now just sign two outside the cap. All G.
ChillyPhilly
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Allllllll of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: 'Adelaide, I love you!'

Postby ChillyPhilly Sat Aug 01, 2015 2:55 pm

The FFA is more confused than the Queen at McDonald's. Totally clueless with what they're doing.
Adelaide United FC: our club, our city, our state.

Return to “Adelaide United F.C.”