Adelaide United v WS Wanderers Match Day Jamboree!!!©

The only team for me - Adelaide United F.C!
Discuss the best football club in Australia!

Moderator: Moderators Group

shinAUFC
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter

Re: Adelaide United v WS Wanderers Match Day Jamboree!!!©

Postby shinAUFC Tue Oct 20, 2015 2:01 pm

A bit late to the funeral, but I'll add my eulogy.

I'll just start with the obvious positive of the game, defending from McGowan and Malik, top notch, especially with those last ditch tackles. Overall, in the past 2 weeks I think the team has done well with tackling (apart from coming up against Castellan, that slippery fish), not just the defence as well, the midfield has put in some good tackles as well.
Hall was really strong in this game, did really well to back up last weeks performance.

Our ball movement tho.........is......so.......farking.......slow. That wouldn't be nearly as bad as it is, if the team showed some intent to score or consistently opened up opponents. But it really was uninteresting, which hit me the most. It was boring, it really was. Some people in general don't like slow build up, I don't mind it, if the team however shows some real attacking intent. In previous seasons, we were also slow, but you could see the purpose behind it, you could see some results that reminded you that everything will be fine, there is a point to why we are doing this. But last Friday night, I really struggled to see that at all, and while we passed the ball around and kept possession, it seemed static. We were slow and boring. We are so far away from the attacking and entertaining team we were before, and its sad to see because its hard to find any positives.
Our problem last season has carried over to this one, but its somehow worse, we really, really find it hard to penetrate the opposition and get some meaningful shots off.
The times in the game where we looked the most dangerous, was when we had a lot of player rotation and moving into areas to create space on our wings. When we weren't so static.

Opposition team know that we do most of the work for them, they just need to sit back for a few seconds and let their forwards pressure our backline until we make a mistake or concede a turnover.

As to what to do to fix this, I would feel a little silly to just say work harder or faster. To my limited knowledge, there must be something more that could be tweaked or changed that wouldn't be as simplistic as that. But I'll concede that team moral is probably low, it hasn't been a disastrous time at the club, but it hasn't been an inspiring time, thats for sure. All I know is, when I rewatched the game, and I was agreeing with Robbie Slater, the fact that someone that thick can spot our problems, something clearly must be wrong.

As for that low moral, I can only offer something anecdotal and speculative that has no real weight or validity. I would say that Amor would be a great coach at MV, why? Because they are told they are the best from anywhere they look. If anything they need someone that would bring them back to earth, someone calm and collected. We on the other hand are the constant underdogs, we are told on all fronts besides this forum, that our style of play is largely shit and won't get us anywhere. We need a coach that will pump up our tires at times to make it seem that while other teams have more money, better facilities etc, that our philosophy, style of play and players at our disposal are enough to beat them. Gombau offered this. Its no secret that the Adelaide crowd can be a bit mutinous when things aren't going well, Gombau was always confident, even bombastically so if need be, he gave not only us but the players the confidence to do the impossible some times. Whether Amor can produce the same, I'm a little sceptical, and I would be so happy to be wrong. This, along with our mutinous crowd, and more importantly our blame-shifting board, if things don't change soon, I would say he won't be our manager past round 7-9 at this rate.

Isaias, had probably the worst game I've seen in play. Could not find his passing range and ruined a few chance for a quick break.

Elrich, played really shit defensively, as he tired towards the end, he should have been taken off. Made the worst clearance I've seen for a while. Shanked it maybe, that can be forgiven, why the flying fark, would you play it back inside tho! To the farking sidelines Tarek, to the sidelines where the opposition isn't lining up to capitalise!

Our distribution to the wings is not as great as it was with Boogaard at the back. But it could improve.

Dugandzic was better in this game. I found that while he still hasn't acclimatised himself with the rest of squad just yet, in this game he pointed into space where he wanted the ball to be played, which wasn't there in both games against MV. He also tracked back which was nice.

Amor doesn't seem confident in putting the youth on, with the injuries we have now, he may not have a choice anymore. Give Pollock a shot, I wouldn't mind tbh.

Its not the end of our season tho, its round 2.
I think its important the club to tell its fans what the pass mark is for the season.

are they happy if we just make the top six? If they actually came out and told fans we are in a transition on and off the pitch it would take so much pressure off amor and the squad.
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
The voice in our head is the final judge
EdDog
Proud Adelaide United Supporter

Adelaide United v WS Wanderers Match Day Jamboree!!!©

Postby EdDog Tue Oct 20, 2015 2:59 pm

A bit late to the funeral, but I'll add my eulogy.

I'll just start with the obvious positive of the game, defending from McGowan and Malik, top notch, especially with those last ditch tackles. Overall, in the past 2 weeks I think the team has done well with tackling (apart from coming up against Castellan, that slippery fish), not just the defence as well, the midfield has put in some good tackles as well.
Hall was really strong in this game, did really well to back up last weeks performance.

Our ball movement tho.........is......so.......farking.......slow. That wouldn't be nearly as bad as it is, if the team showed some intent to score or consistently opened up opponents. But it really was uninteresting, which hit me the most. It was boring, it really was. Some people in general don't like slow build up, I don't mind it, if the team however shows some real attacking intent. In previous seasons, we were also slow, but you could see the purpose behind it, you could see some results that reminded you that everything will be fine, there is a point to why we are doing this. But last Friday night, I really struggled to see that at all, and while we passed the ball around and kept possession, it seemed static. We were slow and boring. We are so far away from the attacking and entertaining team we were before, and its sad to see because its hard to find any positives.
Our problem last season has carried over to this one, but its somehow worse, we really, really find it hard to penetrate the opposition and get some meaningful shots off.
The times in the game where we looked the most dangerous, was when we had a lot of player rotation and moving into areas to create space on our wings. When we weren't so static.

Opposition team know that we do most of the work for them, they just need to sit back for a few seconds and let their forwards pressure our backline until we make a mistake or concede a turnover.

As to what to do to fix this, I would feel a little silly to just say work harder or faster. To my limited knowledge, there must be something more that could be tweaked or changed that wouldn't be as simplistic as that. But I'll concede that team moral is probably low, it hasn't been a disastrous time at the club, but it hasn't been an inspiring time, thats for sure. All I know is, when I rewatched the game, and I was agreeing with Robbie Slater, the fact that someone that thick can spot our problems, something clearly must be wrong.

As for that low moral, I can only offer something anecdotal and speculative that has no real weight or validity. I would say that Amor would be a great coach at MV, why? Because they are told they are the best from anywhere they look. If anything they need someone that would bring them back to earth, someone calm and collected. We on the other hand are the constant underdogs, we are told on all fronts besides this forum, that our style of play is largely shit and won't get us anywhere. We need a coach that will pump up our tires at times to make it seem that while other teams have more money, better facilities etc, that our philosophy, style of play and players at our disposal are enough to beat them. Gombau offered this. Its no secret that the Adelaide crowd can be a bit mutinous when things aren't going well, Gombau was always confident, even bombastically so if need be, he gave not only us but the players the confidence to do the impossible some times. Whether Amor can produce the same, I'm a little sceptical, and I would be so happy to be wrong. This, along with our mutinous crowd, and more importantly our blame-shifting board, if things don't change soon, I would say he won't be our manager past round 7-9 at this rate.

Isaias, had probably the worst game I've seen in play. Could not find his passing range and ruined a few chance for a quick break.

Elrich, played really shit defensively, as he tired towards the end, he should have been taken off. Made the worst clearance I've seen for a while. Shanked it maybe, that can be forgiven, why the flying fark, would you play it back inside tho! To the farking sidelines Tarek, to the sidelines where the opposition isn't lining up to capitalise!

Our distribution to the wings is not as great as it was with Boogaard at the back. But it could improve.

Dugandzic was better in this game. I found that while he still hasn't acclimatised himself with the rest of squad just yet, in this game he pointed into space where he wanted the ball to be played, which wasn't there in both games against MV. He also tracked back which was nice.

Amor doesn't seem confident in putting the youth on, with the injuries we have now, he may not have a choice anymore. Give Pollock a shot, I wouldn't mind tbh.

Its not the end of our season tho, its round 2.
Agree with all of this. My sentiments too.

Just like to reiterate how flat the crowd was. Walking to the game I wondered if I had the wrong night it was that quiet.

Also, 4 shots on target combined across both games. Simply unacceptable.
sevengoals
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: all of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Expand the league now!

Postby sevengoals Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:31 pm

Yes, we certainly are lacking confidence at the moment and that in turn is battering the moral.
" There was, he added, no room for spin, showmanship, hubris or “any of the feelings of invincibility” that so often shackle nations with an imperial past ... " - - -

Pies: 3867

No Roots, No Growth!
The Claw
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Who is left

Postby The Claw Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:51 pm

The problem is Griffin IMO. He has been there for ages and since there, lots of good people and football knowledge have left and he remains.
There have been so many things badly run, kits in time for season start, memberships debacle this year and most, Gombau signing an extension and then leaving for "family reasons".
For me the Gombau leaving and appointing of Amor without any sign of a process to replace Gombau, all seemed a bit odd especially with how the team is played.
This guy moans about salaries and transfers, talks of signing Gerrard and unicorns too. The point I am trying to make, Griffin sounds broke and defeated most times he speaks. As fans we have been directed to have a mentality of "we cant coz we are too poor" to compete argument that Griffin always seems to convey.
I'd say he and his consortium have made one good decision in all their years and one only, Gombau. Time for new owners or direction at AU.
ChillyPhilly
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Allllllll of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: 'Adelaide, I love you!'

Postby ChillyPhilly Wed Oct 21, 2015 1:36 am

The problem is Griffin IMO. He has been there for ages and since there, lots of good people and football knowledge have left and he remains.
There have been so many things badly run, kits in time for season start, memberships debacle this year and most, Gombau signing an extension and then leaving for "family reasons".
For me the Gombau leaving and appointing of Amor without any sign of a process to replace Gombau, all seemed a bit odd especially with how the team is played.
This guy moans about salaries and transfers, talks of signing Gerrard and unicorns too. The point I am trying to make, Griffin sounds broke and defeated most times he speaks. As fans we have been directed to have a mentality of "we cant coz we are too poor" to compete argument that Griffin always seems to convey.
I'd say he and his consortium have made one good decision in all their years and one only, Gombau. Time for new owners or direction at AU.
Well said.
Adelaide United FC: our club, our city, our state.
Stuckey
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Whichever Toure is playing
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Sha la la lala lalaaaa AUFC!

Postby Stuckey Wed Oct 21, 2015 7:11 am

I think the management of the club does need looking at but financially if the money isn't there the money isn't there.
Obviously the Gerrard and Toni tranfers were never going to happen so I think people should just forget about that as that money that was apparently available for them isn't available for anything else.
The annoying element of that is though I personally feel like some at the club think us fans are dumb enough to fall for that sort of talk.
Which I do feel is a little insulting.
Time to Djbate!
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Wed Oct 21, 2015 2:53 pm

Well said.
Yup

I have full support for the players and amor. Even f we have a poor season i feel the club needs to hang on to amor as he has so much to offer, hejust has his hands tied atm.

Its griffin and co that seem shady as hell, always flip flopping while ther noses continue to grow.
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
The voice in our head is the final judge
Jumbinho
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Hugene

Postby Jumbinho Wed Oct 21, 2015 3:24 pm

Obviously the Gerrard and Toni tranfers were never going to happen so I think people should just forget about that as that money that was apparently available for them isn't available for anything else.
The annoying element of that is though I personally feel like some at the club think us fans are dumb enough to fall for that sort of talk.
Which I do feel is a little insulting.
The only problem with that being that people do keep falling for it whenever Griffin runs his mouth about how we have the capacity to sign some big name marquee.

For the most part I dont have a problem with the owners not spending huge amounts of money. After all its their money they are putting in, and really, its not as if there's not a long queue of wealthy benefactors in this State lining up to take over. My problem absolutely lies with the public grandstanding from Griffin about marquee players (which time and again clearly raises everyones expectations), when its just not going to happen. Add to that he seems to fall out with just about everyone he comes into contact with, and has a habit of very publicly and hastily burning bridges.

At the moment its definitely hard not to feel like the ownership caught lightning in a bottle with the Gombau appointment, and have since screwed the pooch.
Stuckey
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Whichever Toure is playing
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Sha la la lala lalaaaa AUFC!

Postby Stuckey Wed Oct 21, 2015 3:37 pm

I don't know if it was intentional but I felt while Petrillo was CEO we seems to hear from Griff a lot less.
As is we really do rarely hear from him anyway. Mostly its just him complaining about the CBA deal.
Time to Djbate!
ChillyPhilly
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Allllllll of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: 'Adelaide, I love you!'

Postby ChillyPhilly Thu Oct 22, 2015 8:09 am

I don't know if it was intentional but I felt while Petrillo was CEO we seems to hear from Griff a lot less.
As is we really do rarely hear from him anyway. Mostly its just him complaining about the CBA deal.
We certainly heard from him less. Petrillo was the one we should have been hearing from all along.

I am again convinced that Griffin has pissed people off again.
Adelaide United FC: our club, our city, our state.

Return to “Adelaide United F.C.”