Fyfe to Iran?

The only team for me - Adelaide United F.C!
Discuss the best football club in Australia!

Moderator: Moderators Group

supsup
Proud Adelaide United Supporter

Re: Fyfe to Iran?

Postby supsup Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:00 pm

I think that's an uneducated and slightly ignorant view to have.
EdDog

Postby EdDog Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:17 pm

You may be right. I have not been to Iran so my opinion is only based on reports I hear from media and what I read on the internet such as that Smart Traveller site.

I hope I haven't offended anyone as it wasn't my intention.

So you think it's relatively safe there supsup?
supsup

Postby supsup Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:49 pm

For sure, EdDog. I've had friends motorcycle tour through the Middle East and they said Iran was the friendliest of the lot. After all, we are all just people, man.

Forget what you hear on the news regarding modern political realities, the bickering between nations on the basis of ideologies and political systems are often far removed from realities on the ground with average people. While there is always a radical or extreme element in some of these countries, the new leader Rouhani seems serious about being much more 'moderate' than other recent leaders (Ahmadinejad, for example) and having much more dialogue with the west. If you google Iran in the '60s you'll also see a vibrant, liberal country. It's the leaders and power brokers that blew it.

Tehran is supposed to be a cool city. Anyway, plenty of players in the Iranian league from other countries that I'm sure have no dramas and that will be the same for Fyfey. :)
shinAUFC
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter

Postby shinAUFC Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:08 am

You have to remember that smart traveller is a website set up for the most ignorant of travellers who have no common sense and put them selves in bad situations.

For example jordan the last time i checked was considered an extreme risk. I know people that have lived in jordan iran and syria and had a good laugh at the warnings.

Smart traveller is a good website dont get me wrong. But it really has to common for the dumbest of aussie tourist .

Supsup, your friends motorcycle tour ..... Was that a silk road run? If so i am incredibly jealous!! The silk road on a motorbike is number 1 on my to do list at some stage in my life
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
The voice in our head is the final judge
mcjules
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Bruce Djite

Postby mcjules Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:52 am

Smart traveller is a good website dont get me wrong. But it really has to common for the dumbest of aussie tourist.
They have to be conservative, could you imagine the media should something happen and they had on the website that everything was ok?

The recent elections coupled with their meddling with Syria are the main reasons the warning is what it is I suggest. I don't think Fyfe is at any real risk :)
EdDog

Postby EdDog Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:55 am

I have well and truly been educated!

And after looking at some of the pictures of Iran that you mentioned, it looks like a nice place.

Hopefully it works out for both parties.
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:34 am

Smart traveller is a good website dont get me wrong. But it really has to common for the dumbest of aussie tourist.
They have to be conservative, could you imagine the media should something happen and they had on the website that everything was ok?

The recent elections coupled with their meddling with Syria are the main reasons the warning is what it is I suggest. I don't think Fyfe is at any real risk :)
Yeah i 100%! agree which is why smart traveller is quite valuable. Not to mention being able to register for free so aussie officials know where to find you if there is some kind of natural disaster or civial war etc going on in your region.

In regards to iran, i remember hearing recently they are trying to increase tourism to 20million a year to increase jobs for the locals

Take notice of all warnings and do your own research is always best imo

I remember talking with some friends about overseas travel and mentioned i would like to do the middle east extensively. They told me they never would because of the islamic aspect and safety concerns . They then told me they were going to indonesia next........ :bang:
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
The voice in our head is the final judge
ChillyPhilly
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Allllllll of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: 'Adelaide, I love you!'

Postby ChillyPhilly Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:50 pm

Fyfe looking to secure a one-year deal pending a successful medical this weekend.
Adelaide United FC: our club, our city, our state.
EdDog

Postby EdDog Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:58 pm

So do you think this will put to bed the supposed shopping around of Boogs and McKain to Jets et al?

I wonder who Gombau has in mind to bring in? Surely it won't be another defender...
ZANZIBAR
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Owen Goal

Postby ZANZIBAR Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:58 am

dont feel bad for suggesting it's a bad place eddog, considering 10,612 iranians have immigrated by boat to australia in the last few years would suggest something is not right there. but it isn't a country to be categorised like iraq and afghanistan thats for sure. and to say smart traveller is for the ignorant is ignorance at its best. like the people that say bali is safe...tell that to the 100 plus australians that have been murdered there.
anywho...if Fyfe likes it there then the best of luck to him and will miss his beard.
RedsUnited
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: They all leave

Postby RedsUnited Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:08 am

I doubt Mrs Fyfe and Baby Fyfe will be travelling with him unless it's a long term stay. The Fyfes have family and support here in Adelaide.
ipod

Postby ipod Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:50 pm

Ed Dog, you are deluded if you think you can beleive pro western propaganda about Iran. It is a place of high standard of living and the Iranian people are highly educated compared to Australia and the US! It is a beautiful country. It's football culture is amazing! Wakey Wakey ED
mcjules
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Bruce Djite

Postby mcjules Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:47 pm

dont feel bad for suggesting it's a bad place eddog, considering 10,612 iranians have immigrated by boat to australia in the last few years would suggest something is not right there. but it isn't a country to be categorised like iraq and afghanistan thats for sure. and to say smart traveller is for the ignorant is ignorance at its best. like the people that say bali is safe...tell that to the 100 plus australians that have been murdered there.
anywho...if Fyfe likes it there then the best of luck to him and will miss his beard.
Yep to balance it a bit if you are:
1. Homosexual
2. A member of a religion founded after Islam (Zoroastrianism being a big one)

Then you do not want to live there. It's a conservative Muslim country and there are plenty of things that would be a culture shock for us westerners. For example if his family did end up going over with him, his missus wouldn't be allowed to attend games.

For Fyfe going over for a year I doubt any of it will matter and it's a good pay day.

Do we have an international studies forum on here somewhere? :P
EdDog

Postby EdDog Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:29 pm

I don't think I'm deluded. Obviously it's not as bad as the media make it out to be as some of the forum members have pointed out to me.

I was a bit harsh saying it was a terrible move for him - in my mind I was referring to the contrasting cultures of Adelaide and Iran and that it might be more dangerous for his family. Which again, some people having pointed out isn't necessarily true.

I don't think all Iranians walk around with dynamite strapped to their stomach and always want to car bomb Western interests as if it's the Team America movie. I know it's only the extremists which are the problem and they make up a very small percentage of the population and the rest of the population is quite liberal. But it would be naive to pretend there are not risks with travelling to some of those parts when compared to little old Adelaide.

Similarly, I have some friends in Egypt who are lovely people who live in a lovely country but they still speak of the political and religious conflict in their region. You can't pretend it doesn't happen.

Back to the topic - it doesn't have to be me who is comfortable with the move, just Fyfe and his family.
sevengoals
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: all of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Expand the league now!

Postby sevengoals Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:52 pm

^^^
Well said EdDog and point taken all round.

Maybe football can bring us closer.

Back to the topic...
" There was, he added, no room for spin, showmanship, hubris or “any of the feelings of invincibility” that so often shackle nations with an imperial past ... " - - -

Pies: 3867

No Roots, No Growth!

Return to “Adelaide United F.C.”