Jeronimoooooooo Appreciation Thread

The only team for me - Adelaide United F.C!
Discuss the best football club in Australia!

Moderator: Moderators Group

ZANZIBAR
Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Owen Goal

Re: Jeronimoooooooo Appreciation Thread

Postby ZANZIBAR Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:13 am

sooo... are we thinking a 3 game suspension??
i personally think it was a rubbish move from jeronimo and wouldnt protest a 3 game suspension
flavze

Postby flavze Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:33 am

he shouldn't get any suspension, he was fouled. Sure he dived or flopped to emphasise it but he was fouled.

Should have been a free kick wether he went down or not and arguably a red card due to be the last defender.
smooth_pockets

Postby smooth_pockets Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:39 pm

For those who want to have another look at the Boogard one, here is the video link.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/football/as ... 6477625446

It is exactly the same. There was an arm across, last man, the Bunyodkor player went down like a sack of spuds.

There is noway known that contact would've made the Bunyodkor player go down. He felt the contact and made sure the ref saw it.

The only ting you could say is that the Bunyodkor player made a better effort of his dive.

At the end of the day it is still a foul, so I cannot see how the Phoenix will get the red rescinded.
ChillyPhilly
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Allllllll of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: 'Adelaide, I love you!'

Postby ChillyPhilly Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:02 pm

I'd be more worried about Durante...
Adelaide United FC: our club, our city, our state.
ZANZIBAR

Postby ZANZIBAR Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:11 pm

durante said what his opinion was...i hope he doesnt get anything more than a fine, and i hope sigmund is playing next week, but yes the tug was there.
as pointed out, if a defender deliberately tugs a shirt or takes down a defender...is that not intentional therefore cheating?
Moch

Postby Moch Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:16 pm

The tug was there, just looks bad in slow motion. Every soccer tackle or challenge look so much worse in slow motion though!
EdDog

Postby EdDog Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:27 pm

There was a definite shirt tug and you see his shuolder get pulled back. If he went to ground immediately, there would be no issue, only problem is he loses the ball and goes down delayed. Granted, if there was no shirt tug, he may not have lost the ball.

I think it will be reviewed as a foul because soon as you pull the shirt, it's an immediate foul. So irrespective of the "dive", Sigmund has committed a foul on the last line of defence (same as Boogs did and I never blamed anyone but our poor defending and stupid Boogs for getting sucked in to the challenge).

All I can say is (and as bad as it sounds) I'm glad this has happened to the Nix and not one of the eastern states. If we were playing Shitney FC, Jerro would be deported and they'd take all our premiership points.
shinAUFC
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter

Postby shinAUFC Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:36 pm

It was a foul possibly a yellow,

jeronimo made the most of it , as does any player who feels that have been fouled and try to accentuate it for the refs eyes.

did he go down without a touch? no, so not a dive.

IMO its just pay back for when we had a player sent of in welli when we were fighting for the prem with ccm and bris ( either dodd or reid ) we got that red card rescinded but ruined the match for us
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
The voice in our head is the final judge
shinAUFC
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter

Postby shinAUFC Sun Oct 28, 2012 3:00 pm

Behich, Flores, Halloran, Broiche would all be serving bans constantly if this approach was taken seriously
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
The voice in our head is the final judge
ZANZIBAR

Postby ZANZIBAR Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:32 pm

all reports seem to suggest he will be suspended due to the red card being handed out...but there was a touch from sigmund for sure...tough decision ahead for mrp. just saw a foul on hearfield and after the foul he jumped up and collapsed...in slow mo very delayed..where do we draw the line? the way the FFA seem to always go against us i wouldn't be suprised with a suspension, we need him next week
bpowell454
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Adlung

Postby bpowell454 Sun Oct 28, 2012 6:37 pm

I've watched it over a few times now and Sigmund, who should have already been on a yellow anyway, definitely tugs his shoulder back which stopped Jero from being able to reach the ball so it's a definite foul, if he hadn't of gone down the foul probably wouldn't have been seen by the ref.

In my opinion the foul was there and Jero theatrically went to ground to make sure the foul was obvious to the ref. If Sigmund had not made illegal contact he wouldn't be in this situation.

As said, everything looks worse in slow motion.
double07
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Cirio

Postby double07 Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:46 pm

There's a still floating around on twitter which looks like Sigmund clips Jero's heal as well, but it's hard to tell.
EdDog

Postby EdDog Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:21 pm

On retrospect, I reckon he will get a few weeks for this.

He technically shouldn't but I reckon they'll make an example of him. And it's Adelaide so it's open season as far as FFA are concerned.

I hope it doesn't get Jerry too down if he is suspended.

And hey - this is what squad depth is for.
Old Gregg
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Cassiooooooooooo

Postby Old Gregg Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:30 pm

Should have been play on, imo. Harsh on Sigmund, he may have made contact but there's no foul that I can see.
All I need is some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine.
Max Power
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Robert 20 Goals Younis

Postby Max Power Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:26 pm

If they suspend him then this is just going to set us back in terms of Asian competition. It will not discourage contact between the last defender and attacker because the defender knows the attacker will be too scared of going to ground.

This is good for the 'moral' side of the game, yes. But what happens when your playing Asian Champions League with a foreign ref and opposition used to 'milking the cow'?

Like Mr. Boogard's situation? Same deal, he made contact and the Bundy player went to ground, but he just disguised it better than Jerry and that was that. Bye bye ACL.

This is part of football out there in the big bad world. Its gamesmanship. Happens in all sports. If Jerry went down without a finger being laid on him, yes, crucify him. But there was some contact. For that reason I think they should just let it go.

If you are the last defender you DO NOT TOUCH the attacking player AT ALL. Simple. Don't give him the opportunity to go to ground and force the ref's hand.

If they suspend Jerry it is kind of like saying, well, the shirt tug and heel clip are OK, which will breed complacency which will be eventually exploited in the ACL by a more 'streetsmart' opposition as we saw with Boogard and United in the ACL.

Return to “Adelaide United F.C.”