It's that time of year [John Kosmina]

The only team for me - Adelaide United F.C!
Discuss the best football club in Australia!

Moderator: Moderators Group

Shane
Proud Adelaide United Supporter

It's that time of year [John Kosmina]

Postby Shane Sun Dec 15, 2013 12:57 pm

It's that time of year - the annual Adelaide United implosion is here - John Kosmina

http://www.foxsports.com.au/football/it ... 6783145744

IT'S Groundhog Day at Adelaide United, time for the annual Christmas implosion.

I wanted to write about the quality of football in the A-League so far, but in light of Josep Gombau's dummy spit on Friday it would be remiss of me as a commentator not to mention it.

As reported in Saturday's Advertiser, Gombau had a crack at football writer Val Migliaccio's son, or more specifically his footballing ability.

Publicly the club has dismissed this as a personal disagreement between the two parties and refused to discipline Gombau.

Personal it may be but Gombau took it into the public arena and that is wrong. And for the club to take no action means it has actually sanctioned his behaviour.

The club is saying it's ok to attack someone's family publicly.

I wonder how CEO Glenn Elliott or chairman Greg Griffin would react if someone in a position of responsibility, as Gombau is, were critical of their sons in front of a camera.

Knowing them as I do, they would be far from happy. And it cannot be written off to cultural differences either. That would be a cop out!

What makes it even worse is that Gombau has never even seen the kid play, so that makes it a real cheap shot.

Someone close to Gombau has obviously given him that opinion.

If Gombau had something to say about Migliaccio's son then he should have pulled him aside and faced him, mano e mano, said it and accepted the consequences, whatever they may have been.

Gombau's public displays of emotion of late are symptomatic of the team's results and he is not coping too well with the scrutiny.

It's is really simple … the A-League is about winning. If someone in management gave him the idea that it's not, as it appears, then they should be sacked!

Gombau has disrespected the league, the club and its fans by saying its okay not to win because there is no relegation so we can build.

Hey, there's eight players off contract this season and the distinct possibility that the best of the lot, Marcello Carrusca, could move interstate, so how does he explain the rebuilding next season?

I have said before, remembering that it's Groundhog Day, that if similar problems keep arising at the club year after year then you have to look at the people who are there year after year.

They are responsible - not the coach, not even the players - it is management that dictates and drives culture … I rest my case!

I'll have to save my view on the quality of the league for another day.
Shano. Red to the core.
shinAUFC
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter

Re: It's that time of year [John Kosmina]

Postby shinAUFC Sun Dec 15, 2013 12:59 pm

as i just posted in the other thread relating to this..
Kossie trying to justify his history.

We all know there are issues from within the club, but kossie seems to be one of the ego maniacs who contributed to this. Take a look at his 3 coaching stints in the A-league AUFC , SFC then back to AUFC.... all drama packed ...

IMO the more the local media rattle on about this the more it is going to drive the players, manager and fans together as we saw yesterday.

Based on that you could say the cultural change is already happening as previously the media lead the charge for fan discontent.
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
The voice in our head is the final judge
Stuckey
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Whichever Toure is playing
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Sha la la lala lalaaaa AUFC!

Postby Stuckey Sun Dec 15, 2013 3:53 pm

I really feel articles like this need to be waved in these peoples faces down the track if it turns out Adelaide are a success story.

To think the last stint Kossie had with Adelaide he: Gave away our greatest ever Striker, Repeatedly ignored offers so sign Troisi (The league's current top scorer) and as my mate found in discussions with him centred his entire game plan around the skill of Dario Vidosic. The bloke made a decent fill in and with a couple of (in the end I would say) lucky ACL results he got a gig a hell of a lot longer then he deserved.
Time to Djbate!
EdDog

Postby EdDog Sun Dec 15, 2013 5:13 pm

The fans never were behind him as much as they are Josep. I'm amazed how well he has galvanised the playing group.

Was great to see the players come around to the fans after the game. Haven't seen it in a long, long time.
Stuckey

Postby Stuckey Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:31 pm

Yeah even the goal celebrations were great. Everyone one is together on this one.
Time to Djbate!
Old Gregg
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Cassiooooooooooo

Postby Old Gregg Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:49 pm

It's is really simple … the A-League is about winning. If someone in management gave him the idea that it's not, as it appears, then they should be sacked!

Gombau has disrespected the league, the club and its fans by saying its okay not to win because there is no relegation so we can build.
Trying to build for the future rather than going for yet another short-term fix, yep, surely a sackable offence...
Hey, there's eight players off contract this season and the distinct possibility that the best of the lot, Marcello Carrusca, could move interstate, so how does he explain the rebuilding next season?
The fuck is he even trying to say here?

Earth to Kossie...
Hello .... hello ...
All I need is some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine.
sevengoals
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: all of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Expand the league now!

Postby sevengoals Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:29 am

There is no relegation so why not take advantage of this fact.
" There was, he added, no room for spin, showmanship, hubris or “any of the feelings of invincibility” that so often shackle nations with an imperial past ... " - - -

Pies: 3867

No Roots, No Growth!
Stuckey

Postby Stuckey Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:33 am

There is no relegation so why not take advantage of this fact.
I can see their point that writing off a season less then half way thru it can say to fans don't bother this year but they are highlighting that this is working towards something. It will just be a very large rip off if this don't work out. Considering Josep is in talks about extending his contract I feel he is not planning on jumping ship any time soon so the rip off won't come from that angle.

I think for the people like us all who understand what is going on we are happy for this to take place, but for people who care about the club but aren't tapped in to what is happening day to day the lack of results is a worrying issue.
Hopefully the weekend's result will put those worries at bay for now. As I feel the club definitely has work to do and more pain to feel.
Time to Djbate!
View From The Top
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Tarek Elrich

Postby View From The Top Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:43 am

I get the feeling there are some people (eg Val, Kossie, the Advertiser generally) who can see what is developing at AU and are doing their utmost to undermine Gombau now to stop it happening; because a succesful AUFC does not suit their agenda.
Adelaide United:
Winners First A-League Match
Inaugural A-League Premiers
Inaugural FFA Cup Winners
A-League Premiers and Champions 2015-16
EdDog

Postby EdDog Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:16 am

I have been fully behind everything Josep has brought to the club. I still think that we are good enough to push for a finals berth.

Gomby said that if he wanted to win against Heart for example, he could have brought on 2 DM's and shut up shop and it would have been GG.

But instead he has been getting the boys to play the same way for the full 90 so that it gives them more of an opportunity to practice and learn it.

He said that as soon as we start making decisions instinctively and automatically that the errors will disappear and we will start to get much better.
blahblah
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: the kit bag guy
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Bound for South Australia

Postby blahblah Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:49 am

Gombau has disrespected the league, the club and its fans by saying its okay not to win because there is no relegation so we can build
I think that more or less sums up Kossie's position. Structure & style doesn't win football games and you shouldn't waste time constructing it.

Fortunately for us, the club and Gumby have a different view.
Old Gregg
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Cassiooooooooooo

Postby Old Gregg Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:25 am

Exactly right blahblah... and the history of the league suggests that it's the clubs that put time and effort into bedding down a system of play - which might require time to learn & master - that reap the rewards in the long term. See Brisbane Roar, do you think their supporters are regretting the fact that they lost a bunch of games when Ange Postecoglou & Rado Vidosic started to construct the side?
Another thing is that these players are showing more pride in the shirt, and seem far more united as a team, than they ever did during Kossie's second stint... I still have massive respect for the bloke for his passion & what he did for this club, but jeez, there comes a time where you just need to keep the bitterness to yourself and acknowledge that things have moved on.
All I need is some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine.
Stuckey

Postby Stuckey Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:38 am

Exactly right blahblah... and the history of the league suggests that it's the clubs that put time and effort into bedding down a system of play - which might require time to learn & master - that reap the rewards in the long term. See Brisbane Roar, do you think their supporters are regretting the fact that they lost a bunch of games when Ange Postecoglou & Rado Vidosic started to construct the side?
Another thing is that these players are showing more pride in the shirt, and seem far more united as a team, than they ever did during Kossie's second stint... I still have massive respect for the bloke for his passion & what he did for this club, but jeez, there comes a time where you just need to keep the bitterness to yourself and acknowledge that things have moved on.
Yeah there were loads of people calling Ange crazy for getting rid of Craig Moore and Danny Tiatto but no one doubts the man now!
Time to Djbate!
andyj
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Cassio

Postby andyj Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:46 am

sigh, the man just can't let go

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/foo ... 6783145744

loving all the pro-gumby comments though. The people have spoken!

Return to “Adelaide United F.C.”