Eritreans

The only team for me - Adelaide United F.C!
Discuss the best football club in Australia!

Moderator: Moderators Group

Old Gregg
Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Cassiooooooooooo

Eritreans

Postby Old Gregg Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:16 am

I know this article was posted in another thread:

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/out ... 6036645661

and it got me thinking: why doesn't Adelaide United arrange a pre-season match against the Eritrean NT Refugee XI? I reckon it would be fantastic - hold it at Hindmarsh, make it a charity game (money raised goes to the Aus Refugee Association / Migrant Resource Centre / Amnesty International / etc)..

The Eritreans get to show their stuff against quality opposition, the club gets to run their eye over the players, spectators get what should be an intriguing and decent-quality game, and AU gets a solid pre-season hitout.

Any reason why the club should not try to sort something like this out? Does anyone have good contacts within United & could pull some strings to help make this happen?

(The only objections I could see would come from the Super League clubs to which the players are contracted, but surely they would benefit from this as well?)
All I need is some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine.
blahblah
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: the kit bag guy
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Bound for South Australia

Re: Eritreans

Postby blahblah Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:31 am

I can remember when they went missing. We had a thread on it in the old site. From memory they were the second Eritrean side to make a break for it.

I suspect everyone has had a look at them, as with the Iraqi's that turned up, however they will require foreigner positions. I may be wrong however I strongly suspect AUFC is well aware of them.
Old Gregg
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Cassiooooooooooo

Postby Old Gregg Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:39 am

Oh, I know AUFC is aware of them - it just seems that we have a ready-made team of reasonable quality hanging around Adelaide that would be ideal opponents for a pre-season match. Unlike yer Metrostars, Raiders etc I reckon playing a match against ex-Eritrean national team refugees would really pique community interest (not least among Adelaide's African population). I would be far more likely to go to this match than a standard AUFC v State League team (or even A-League team) preseason hitout.

It's a good news story & one that highlights the social importance of football, silly not to take advantage of the situation of having an entire friggin national team hanging around the suburbs here.

Even if none of the players ever get picked up at an A-League level, I think it would be a worthy exercise.
All I need is some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine.
Hammerzeit

Postby Hammerzeit Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:04 am

I saw a couple of the guys playing a couple of weeks back in the Metrostars v Croydon game (Rini was in the crowd too). Whilst it is clear they are in the process of adapting to the game here, it is obvious that each of the three that I saw have some talent. One of the midfielders, in particular, has amazing touch, but was let down with some iffy passing. A bit more time and practice with the Super League teams will benefit greatly.

Great story all round.
blahblah

Postby blahblah Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:53 am

Oh, I know AUFC is aware of them - it just seems that we have a ready-made team of reasonable quality hanging around Adelaide that would be ideal opponents for a pre-season match. Unlike yer Metrostars, Raiders etc I reckon playing a match against ex-Eritrean national team refugees would really pique community interest (not least among Adelaide's African population). I would be far more likely to go to this match than a standard AUFC v State League team (or even A-League team) preseason hitout.
Oh, my mistake, apologies for that.

Yes, I agree that it would indeed be a worthwhile hit-out. The type of game that some of the recently arrived refugee community could cook up some local cuisine with members having a few beers discussing the upcoming season as some of the youth squad are thrown into the mix to see if they are ready to step up. It could make for a good day out. One of the suburban grounds would be good.
blahblah

Postby blahblah Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:05 pm

now I think about it something like this should be combined with a membership drive.
andyj
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Cassio

Postby andyj Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:31 pm

now I think about it something like this should be combined with a membership drive.
'tis a good idea for sure, but, would many refugees have the spare coin to sign up for a membership? Now I'm by no means an expert but I'd imagine they are not really rolling in it!

Of course you could offer special discounts, might be good publicity for the club.
WINDSOR

Postby WINDSOR Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:12 pm

Great idea

We all want to see some footy at the Marsh
Hindmarsh - the worlds greatest stadium without a car park
@windsors
blahblah

Postby blahblah Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:57 pm

'tis a good idea for sure, but, would many refugees have the spare coin to sign up for a membership? Now I'm by no means an expert but I'd imagine they are not really rolling in it!
I was more thinking of the general community if it was well promoted. People who have a bit of interest in different cuisines, have worked in/want to go to Africa, sporting families looing for something a bit different for the kids on the weekend that won't bust the budget. That kind of thing.
WINDSOR

Postby WINDSOR Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:44 pm

As blahblah mentioned this would be a great opportunity for exposure, community engagement. this fits FFA larger plans. I'm not sure how much an ad in the advertiser costs. Any idea?. but I place ad's in the Metro and evening standard here in London and that cost over £1200 per day. So this good news story would keep the profile up in the off season.
Hindmarsh - the worlds greatest stadium without a car park
@windsors
General Ashnak
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Pablo Sanchez

Postby General Ashnak Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:52 pm

This is the sort of stuff that needs to be going to the club, either direct or through the Membership committee.
Terry Pratchett wrote:
The thing about football - the important thing about football - is that it is not just about football.

Return to “Adelaide United F.C.”