Coach Cooley explains FC Twente blueprint Down Under

The only team for me - Adelaide United F.C!
Discuss the best football club in Australia!

Moderator: Moderators Group

the 2nd james
Proud Adelaide United Supporter

Re: Coach Cooley explains FC Twente blueprint Down Under

Postby the 2nd james Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:29 pm

who cares if we are mentioned in an overseas newspaper? It means nothing, doesn’t get us any more money or help the club at all.
You have come up with some pretty interesting thoughts on certain subjects so far,

Do you try to base them on fact or fairy land?

It is a fact the more positive exposure the club gets overseas the better it is for us.

Just look at brisbane, they get some good press about their youth and all of a sudden Utrecht want to buy a portion of the club.

When we try to sign overseas talent these players will ask around about the club, they will look on the internet at youtube videos and newspaper articles etc.
How is that a fact? Often most coverage good or bad will equate to nothing. Laughable that you claim that is a fact and try to claim that i'm from fairy land.
shinAUFC
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter

Postby shinAUFC Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:54 pm

who cares if we are mentioned in an overseas newspaper? It means nothing, doesn’t get us any more money or help the club at all.
You have come up with some pretty interesting thoughts on certain subjects so far,

Do you try to base them on fact or fairy land?

It is a fact the more positive exposure the club gets overseas the better it is for us.

Just look at brisbane, they get some good press about their youth and all of a sudden Utrecht want to buy a portion of the club.

When we try to sign overseas talent these players will ask around about the club, they will look on the internet at youtube videos and newspaper articles etc.
How is that a fact? Often most coverage good or bad will equate to nothing. Laughable that you claim that is a fact and try to claim that i'm from fairy land.
are you for real?
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
The voice in our head is the final judge
the 2nd james

Postby the 2nd james Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:11 pm

Yes, what you said isn't a fact at all.
Steelinho
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Yuujiin Garekkobicchi

Postby Steelinho Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:27 pm

For interest sake can anyone name the kiwi club at the World Cup? Or the south American clubs the last 2 years? Or Japanese clubs? Without cheating.
Yes to all. What's your next question?

Delusions of grandeur by some of our supporters unfortunately, we are not even the best known club in Australia.
I don't really think that experiences = delusions. And the thought of having to be the best-known club in your own country to be known outside of it is untrue. There are a LOT of examples of this.
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:29 pm

Any die hard fan can easily answer that when we were in the CWC

Gamba osaka were the japanese rep,

Al Aly were the african reps i believe

I believe the OFC/NZ rep was waitkito (spelling) though i dont think their involvment counts as they have never qualified for later round but dont quote me on that, but they have always lost in the qualifiers i believe?

There were no japanese teams in it last year but there were the koreans in seongnam, and the year before that was Pohang.

last years african club started with a T? lol

Other examples i can give is that galatasary (spelling) FC Utrecht, Borussia monchengladbach (spelling) are not exactly clubs your "average" aussie fan would know a thing or two about until a bit of press about a few players going there and its a different story
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
the 2nd james

Postby the 2nd james Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:41 pm

ShinAUFC you never answered this “fact” of yours. Admit that is low exposure with no benefit as far as we can see apart from making us feel all warm and fuzzy.

On the CWC no one in europe cares about it, a die hard fan may know which teams his team competed against, but the average fan and the rest of the world rates it very lowly, which means low interest in it.
Steelinho

Postby Steelinho Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:01 am

Not to nitpick, Shin; I'm sure you understand.
Gamba osaka were the japanese rep,
Technically, we were the host club, as Gamba filled the AFC Champions League Winner slot. As there can't be two clubs from the same nation, we took the host one instead.
Al Aly were the african reps i believe
Al-Ahli, aka African Club of the Century.
I believe the OFC/NZ rep was waitkito (spelling) though i dont think their involvment counts as they have never qualified for later round but dont quote me on that, but they have always lost in the qualifiers i believe?
Waitakere United FC. They lost 2-1 to us in what is known as the Qualifying Round; it's technically not an official stage, like a preliminary round.

The other teams in our year were Pachuca (Mexico, CONCACAF Champions), LDU Quito (or Liga de Quito, COMNEBOL Champions from Ecuador) and Manchester United (John Terry Champions).

last years african club started with a T? lol
TP Mazembe.

ShinAUFC you never answered this “fact” of yours. Admit that is low exposure with no benefit as far as we can see apart from making us feel all warm and fuzzy.
We've already disproven what you've claimed, why dig the hole any deeper? Any exposure is good exposure. Reputation doesn't just explode from nowhere, it grows gradually.
Oh, wait, you're right, I forgot. EVERYONE IN THE WORLD knew about Manchester United when they were still Newton Heath Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway Football Club, my bad. How could I forget?
On the CWC no one in europe cares about it, a die hard fan may know which teams his team competed against, but the average fan and the rest of the world rates it very lowly, which means low interest in it.
That's what people said about the European Champion Clubs' Cup. When that started, everyone considered it to just be something that got in the way of the league and all that travelling was too much hassle to really bother with taking it too seriously.

It's now called the UEFA Champions League.

Club World Cup has only been around for half a decade. Stop being so ridiculous, lest someone changes your name to Negative Nancy.
Agostinho
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Jeronicello Ferreira

Postby Agostinho Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:07 am

For interest sake can anyone name the kiwi club at the World Cup?
Yeah I think they were called New Zealand.
#WeAreUnited
Steelinho

Postby Steelinho Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:08 am

For interest sake can anyone name the kiwi club at the World Cup?
Yeah I think they were called New Zealand.
WRONG!

Herbert FC
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:18 am

Haha thanks for the correction steelinho, off the top of my head for someone who does not really follow the game overseas with to much passion i thought i did well :P

So you expect that exposure will directly relate to winning a premiership? Do you understand success of a club can be measured on so many levels on and off the pitch?

Its no secret due to our overseas reputation bigger clubs have approached AU for friendlies long before they ask melbourne or sydney, the only reason ours fell through were our stadium size.

I could really go on about this but i feel this is me --> :bang:
the 2nd james

Postby the 2nd james Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:34 am

So you expect that exposure will directly relate to winning a premiership? Do you understand success of a club can be measured on so many levels on and off the pitch?
That’s comes down to a matter of personal opinion which will vary, but the concept is what i was explaining to you originally only related to exposure. Some exposure is valuable, much is not and pointless. Your reply was to insist it is all valuable which is not true and then try to take the moral high ground.
Its no secret due to our overseas reputation bigger clubs have approached AU for friendlies long before they ask melbourne or sydney, the only reason ours fell through were our stadium size.
Bull. Overseas clubs don't care who they play they don’t even arrange the teams for their clubs they take a pre-paid cheque from the promoters who arrange the teams for a return on their investment.
I could really go on about this but i feel this is me --> :bang:
Same, i just found it funny you were acting sarcastically when your point was so wrong, but whatever floats your boat.

Return to “Adelaide United F.C.”