Off-contract players

The only team for me - Adelaide United F.C!
Discuss the best football club in Australia!

Moderator: Moderators Group

leeds4eva
Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isaías

Off-contract players

Postby leeds4eva Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:43 pm

Adelaide coach Rini Coolen must make hard decisions in the lead-up to the finals series, with Adam Hughes, Paul Reid, Travis Dodd, Fabian Barbiero, Francesco Monterosso, Cameron Watson and Joe Costa coming to the end of their contracts and certain to be sounded out by other clubs.
Source
"The ball is round, the game lasts 90 minutes, that's a fact. Everything else is pure theory."
leeds4eva
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isaías

Re: Off-contract players

Postby leeds4eva Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:56 pm

Now that Barbiero has established himself at right back and with Mullen more than capable of playing there aswell, Watson would probably be one to go, along with Hughes now that Usucar has arrived.

Costa and Monterosso would be good Youth team players to retain for the future imo.

But Reid and Dodd stand out as the two vital players to keep tbh.
"The ball is round, the game lasts 90 minutes, that's a fact. Everything else is pure theory."
davidbloop
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Eugene Galekovic

Postby davidbloop Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:17 pm

I thought Watson just signed a deal?

Def would like to see Reid and Hughes stay
Justonegoal

Postby Justonegoal Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:40 pm

its interesting reading this considering the rumoured signings we have comimg up. maybe, just maybe some of the players that are out of contract are about to sign with other clubs.
Stuckey
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Whichever Toure is playing
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Sha la la lala lalaaaa AUFC!

Postby Stuckey Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:38 pm

I can't fopr the life of me understand why anyone is talking about these players leaving. We are second on the table. Why? Because the players we have, have been playing awesomely!

We currently have 21 players on our list (including Usucar.)

Rini has said he is signing one or two more players why does anyone need to leave if they all fit in the cap?

Does anyone remember a little 4-nil thrashing Brisbane handed us in early November? That happened because for one Brisbane play amazingly, but we had a few injuries and we had bugger all cover for those players. We desperately need some depth in our squad and we need players fighting for their positions in my opinion we can't afford to loss any of the players we have.
Time to Djbate!
General Ashnak
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Pablo Sanchez

Postby General Ashnak Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:52 pm

I too am unsure if we will turn over any players, from the seems of it Rini wants the full 23 man squad and may be adding marquee...
Terry Pratchett wrote:
The thing about football - the important thing about football - is that it is not just about football.
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:05 pm

also another little point, the FFA may raise the squad number cap, or even allow more subs for next season , i mean they only just brought the 2nd marquee in this year . so its really hard to speculate when we dont even know what the rules are next season.

Barbiero i think will stay atleast, coolen admits he like locals to play for the club,

but i cant see why reid and hughes wouldnt re-sign,

i do however think pantelis' days in the starting 11 are numbered, with Ramsay, Dodd ( if he re-signs) and a new import all breathing dow his neck.

If dodd does not sign however ill be very unhappy, i want to see him finish his career here
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
The voice in our head is the final judge
General Ashnak
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Pablo Sanchez

Postby General Ashnak Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:11 pm

Totally agree about Doddgy finishing his professional career with AUFC, the same with Cassio.
Terry Pratchett wrote:
The thing about football - the important thing about football - is that it is not just about football.
ganas
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: CASSIOOOOOOOOOOOO

Postby ganas Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:34 pm

more numbers on the bench is a must!
that was one of the first things Rini said about our league. it also makes games more exciting as there are more game changing options.
spaceCowboy

Postby spaceCowboy Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:39 pm

also another little point, the FFA may raise the squad number cap, or even allow more subs for next season
This is interesting, if the season stays at 30 rounds then the squad numbers will have to be increased imo. Teams need depth to be able to continue to play football at a high level.

All these signings will provide depth for the rest of the season, which will hopefully bring us a title.
Then next season be able to challenge for it again.
We are UNITED, after all....
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:22 pm

im happy for squad numbers to stay the same, but maybe allow clubs to sign an additional 3 players under the age of 20 and on minimum wage outside of the cap?
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
The voice in our head is the final judge

Return to “Adelaide United F.C.”