Ideas for average Joe to boost Adelaide United

The only team for me - Adelaide United F.C!
Discuss the best football club in Australia!

Moderator: Moderators Group

Stuckey
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Whichever Toure is playing
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Sha la la lala lalaaaa AUFC!

Ideas for average Joe to boost Adelaide United

Postby Stuckey Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:48 am

Reading this forum its very clear everyone is making efforts to boost Adelaide United's attendances and their place in the community generally.

If you have done something that worked in terms of getting a bit of a crowd to a match or conviced a mate or two to buy a membership let everyone know so hopefully we all can try the same thing.

I think as diehard fans we owe it to the club that entertains us so much if we want to see the club grow we need to help too!

Somethings i have done that have worked....

Had my birthday in the snake pit. If you're a member you just need to go to the gate in the south west corner and pay $6 to upgrade your ticket to gold.
Invited mates i don't see all that often as a sort of catch up/man date.
I'm currently organising a work party at the MV game at AO for all the guys i work with.
Promoting AU to families as a fantastic day for the kids.
Making sure i take mates who haven't been to that many matches to big game like MV matches. I took one mate to the the ACL second round match and he said he never imagined the atmosphere could be that good, and now he wants to buy a membership.
Getting my wife to talk her friends into coming along when we go.
Taking advantage of as many of the free ticket incentives around eg. Entertainment book and give to to people who clearly wouldn't pay to go eg. AFL supporters that bag AU (as long as they're not complete dickheads and AU doesn't play like shit they'll probably have a decent time) when i say dickhead i mean they don't get passed how 'soft socka is' and any general Graham Cornes or Rebecca Wilson BS)

I'd love to hear what you have tried!
Time to Djbate!
Chips
Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Cassio

Re: Ideas for average Joe to boost Adelaide United

Postby Chips Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:55 am

What's in the entertainment book?
Dermot
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Flores
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Rolling Along

Postby Dermot Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:01 pm

I think you are doing a great job already Stuckey, it seems that you have given this a lot of thought and acted very well.
Just a suggestion, maybe the new committee that the club is forming could be informed of what you are currently doing.
Keep up the great work! :)
Seanason_AU

Postby Seanason_AU Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:07 pm

2 for 1's in the entertainment book.
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:23 pm

as i said in another thread,

-Forums like this
-Fan magazines (because of a pissant town)
-supporter groups
-The guy that brings adelaide united up in conversations with friends.
-Buying memberships
-Fan made merchandise ( viva flores shirts, red army style scarves)
-Facebook shenanigans

All help the supporters find a voice, and gives the club/fans a certain buzz, anyone who participates in these type of things are actively helping the club.
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
The voice in our head is the final judge
sevengoals
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: all of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Expand the league now!

Postby sevengoals Sun Dec 12, 2010 7:33 pm

as we said in the other thread,
Take your kids to Hindmarsh.
Take your nephews and nieces.
Take your cousins and/or your neighbors.
Take your girlfriend, her sister and her mother!
The best promotion is word of mouth and that is a bit easier when the team is playing well and winning games.
" There was, he added, no room for spin, showmanship, hubris or “any of the feelings of invincibility” that so often shackle nations with an imperial past ... " - - -

Pies: 3867

No Roots, No Growth!
bundibundi

Postby bundibundi Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:13 am

constantly talk about AU in your status updates, build awareness =)
andyj
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Cassio

Postby andyj Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:27 am

My mates are all AFL heads, which is ok, I go to AFL as well, so I organise a few "soccer nights" each year. Basically it's a big boys night out, with going to the game as an integral part. I put a fair bit of effort into marketing, eg I make up a flyer, create an itenery, organise all the the tickets. Numbers vary, been as low as 3 and as high as 14.
redhorse
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: DARIO

Postby redhorse Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:51 am

The best thing i have done is to encourage my "AFL ONLY" mates to tag along, tell ya what its pretty hard to get them involved, but once we score a goal they get right into it, since then they want to go every week!

Postby Seanason_AU Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:00 am

My uncle visited recently, and he knows how much I love AU. He came to a game with me (he's not a massive football fan, but he gets pretty keen over AFL) and told a few of his drinking buddies that he was going so they tagged along. They've been to the last 2 home games and have already asked about Victory Away in January.

Really, its atmosphere and mates that pulls people to games. It's no secret atmosphere is better when we are winning, and while we are on top we need to get as many people through the gates possible.

I honestly believe we need a pricing re-structure - we have the cheapest seats for non-members wings in the league, but among the most expensive for seats behind the goals and in the corners. We should capitalise on the success of this year and next year offer reduced pricing for corners and the north and south stands. It can be easily enforced - possibly an extra 12 match day staff.
Agostinho
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Jeronicello Ferreira

Postby Agostinho Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:06 am

Really, its atmosphere and mates that pulls people to games. It's no secret atmosphere is better when we are winning, and while we are on top we need to get as many people through the gates possible.
This
#WeAreUnited
Hewie

Postby Hewie Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:14 am

I dont actually pay to get into the games every week, usually have a fair few free ticks. Give em away to friends what not.

A few occasions Ive had a spare or two left over and given them to kids waiting in line for the game. Not once have I been thanked, for the record. Usually it gets a blank expression and a look of distrust from the parent. :lol:
flavze

Postby flavze Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:17 am

I'm pretty sure my awesomeness and sexyness has attracted quite a few female and probably a few males to attend Hindmarsh.
They would have noticed me attending and thought to themselves "thats what the hot people do in Adelaide" and decided to rock along to games.
Agostinho
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Jeronicello Ferreira

Postby Agostinho Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:03 pm

I'm pretty sure my awesomeness and sexyness has attracted quite a few female and probably a few males to attend Hindmarsh.
They would have noticed me attending and thought to themselves "thats what the hot people do in Adelaide" and decided to rock along to games.
Well, you left quite the impression that afternoon at the Lion you rugged apple farmer you...
#WeAreUnited
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:14 pm

This is a little off beat, but as far as i understand it the red army were not allowed to have a Megaphone to conduct chants?

Is this the case? i would say allowing 1 simple mega phone up the north end would drastically help with atmosphere,

i know it burns to watch this clip, but it shows pretty well what can be managed with 1 loud voice

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjkeM0Po ... r_embedded
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
The voice in our head is the final judge

Return to “Adelaide United F.C.”