Who's signed for next season

The only team for me - Adelaide United F.C!
Discuss the best football club in Australia!

Moderator: Moderators Group

MartinAUFC
Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isiais
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: UUUNNNIIITTTEEEDDD!!!!!

Re: Who's signed for next season

Postby MartinAUFC Wed Sep 20, 2023 4:57 pm

Terrible signing, we already have one useless English visa player now we have a second

What happened Andy ? Did you get run over by a London bus ? Or maybe got food poisoning from a dodgy Yorkshire pudding ? Forced to watch too much ABC TV as a kid perhaps ? There must be something behind this anti English agenda you’ve been pumping on here ad nauseum :wink:

Several times last season we got done like a dinner due to the fact that our back line was hopelessly exposed by a lack of cover from our midfield. The club have signed an experienced player from overseas who has played at a decent level to rectify this situation.

Welcome to Adelaide Terminator :D
EdDog

Re: RE: Re: Who's signed for next season

Postby EdDog Wed Sep 20, 2023 6:18 pm

What have we been asking for?
Midfield - tick
Experienced - tick
Defensive minded rather than creative - tick

I think this is probably as good as it gets, as we’re obviously not spending any money.

(Crosses fingers that we’re about to sign a top class 26 year old experienced striker. )
Completely agree.
EdDog

Postby EdDog Wed Sep 20, 2023 6:18 pm

Well......rather than deciding that he's complete shit or the answer to all our problems, I might just wait and watch him play.
Because he's signed now, and when he wears the RED, he's one of us. There's no question he's a seasoned pro at a level above most of our boys, but will he cut it? Who knows?
But then, I think Clough is a very competent player, so what would I know?
Spot on.
sevengoals
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: all of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Expand the league now!

Postby sevengoals Wed Sep 20, 2023 10:14 pm

" Adelaide, (in) top echelon of clubs ... "

There you go. :mrgreen:

B)

B)
" There was, he added, no room for spin, showmanship, hubris or “any of the feelings of invincibility” that so often shackle nations with an imperial past ... " - - -

Pies: 3867

No Roots, No Growth!
AndyJebiga
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Judicial

Postby AndyJebiga Thu Sep 21, 2023 12:41 pm

Terrible signing, we already have one useless English visa player now we have a second

What happened Andy ? Did you get run over by a London bus ? Or maybe got food poisoning from a dodgy Yorkshire pudding ? Forced to watch too much ABC TV as a kid perhaps ? There must be something behind this anti English agenda you’ve been pumping on here ad nauseum :wink:

Several times last season we got done like a dinner due to the fact that our back line was hopelessly exposed by a lack of cover from our midfield. The club have signed an experienced player from overseas who has played at a decent level to rectify this situation.

Welcome to Adelaide Terminator :D
i tell it how it is, its not my fault portions of the fanbase dont want to admit the truth when it comes to players who are not good enough to wear the shirt eg blackwood, cavallo or clough

clough is earning over 300k a year and not producing much at all for that sort of money (its not like adelaide has the money to waste)

is he an 10/11/7? i dont know, regardless he doesnt produce anywhere enough in the position he plays (eg goals, assists, general attacking play) to justify his salary + add in his awful injury recrods.

people forget at one point we had carussca and flores on similar wages and they produced consistently.

tunicliffe has all the makings of being a bust as a VISA player - plus his arrival immediately stagnates the development of at least 2 out of 3 young central midfielders with potential (barnet/yull/alagich)
MartinAUFC
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isiais
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: UUUNNNIIITTTEEEDDD!!!!!

Postby MartinAUFC Thu Sep 21, 2023 4:32 pm

i tell it how it is, its not my fault portions of the fanbase dont want to admit the truth when it comes to players who are not good enough to wear the shirt eg blackwood, cavallo or clough

clough is earning over 300k a year and not producing much at all for that sort of money (its not like adelaide has the money to waste)

is he an 10/11/7? i dont know, regardless he doesnt produce anywhere enough in the position he plays (eg goals, assists, general attacking play) to justify his salary + add in his awful injury recrods.

people forget at one point we had carussca and flores on similar wages and they produced consistently.

tunicliffe has all the makings of being a bust as a VISA player - plus his arrival immediately stagnates the development of at least 2 out of 3 young central midfielders with potential (barnet/yull/alagich)

Geez, one minute we've got BPTiger shouting at us for not storming the barricades due to the club not signing any new players and relying too much on the youngsters. Now here's Andy berating us for showing some optimism over a new arrival who is (allegedly) going to be holding back the up and coming stars.

Pffttt... you just can't please everyone I guess :?
EdDog

Postby EdDog Thu Sep 21, 2023 4:56 pm

Midfield is our biggest weakness. We got destroyed by WSW with Isa, Yull and Alagich.

D'Arrigo has left so Ryan is essentially his replacement.

Barnett will be a starter if fit, but has problematic hammies.

Clough will likely now move wide with Irankunda on the other wing. Jovanovic or Halloran up top.

I'm super happy with this signing. On paper it is exactly what we need. A box-to-box to support Isa and give us some mettle in midfield.
Bptiger25
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Goodwin

Postby Bptiger25 Thu Sep 21, 2023 8:28 pm

I knew I would get a mention, I will wait to I see him play , but one player ain’t going to change bugger all , we need another class 10 . Oh and by the way we’re are all these great kids that we brought thur over the last couple of season , oh that’s right 1st chance they all jumped ship
EdDog

Postby EdDog Fri Sep 22, 2023 12:19 am

I knew I would get a mention, I will wait to I see him play , but one player ain’t going to change bugger all , we need another class 10 . Oh and by the way we’re are all these great kids that we brought thur over the last couple of season , oh that’s right 1st chance they all jumped ship
Which kids jumped ship?
Bptiger25
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Goodwin

Postby Bptiger25 Fri Sep 22, 2023 2:40 pm

The toure brothers , the centre forward who jumped to the wanderers, the midfielder that jump ship to Melb city but never got a game Harley, there’s others but if u don’t know then ur not a true supporter or ur just sticking ur head in the sand
EdDog

Postby EdDog Fri Sep 22, 2023 5:18 pm

The toure brothers , the centre forward who jumped to the wanderers, the midfielder that jump ship to Melb city but never got a game Harley, there’s others but if u don’t know then ur not a true supporter or ur just sticking ur head in the sand
I'm not a true fan but you can't name them

Presumably you mean Yengi who was 23 when he left to WSW, now playing in England. Hardly a kid.

The City midfielder was Gomulka who barely played 5 games for us before moving, and it's not worked out for him. He's now on the bench at Brisbane.

You should probably also mention Jovanovic, Yull, Alagich, Bernardo, Popovic, Madanha, Irankunda who are all coming through the ranks on long term deals.

The thing with a youth policy is you need to give the kids time to grow through the system and become regular players. We've had this system since Carl was here (3 years?) so we are only just now going to see the fruits of it.

You're always going to lose players at any club, but I think we've done all right so far.
auschris70
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Pacifique Niyongabire

Postby auschris70 Fri Sep 29, 2023 5:18 pm

Hi folks, anyone have an idea as to why there is a video on Adelaide United's web site featuring Archie Goodwin?
sub007
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Zach Clough

Postby sub007 Fri Sep 29, 2023 5:32 pm

Hi folks, anyone have an idea as to why there is a video on Adelaide United's web site featuring Archie Goodwin?
Pretty sure Keepup manages the club websites so it's probably an error on their end.
sub007
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Zach Clough

Postby sub007 Fri Sep 29, 2023 5:40 pm

Presumably you mean Yengi who was 23 when he left to WSW, now playing in England. Hardly a kid.

The City midfielder was Gomulka who barely played 5 games for us before moving, and it's not worked out for him. He's now on the bench at Brisbane.

You should probably also mention Jovanovic, Yull, Alagich, Bernardo, Popovic, Madanha, Irankunda who are all coming through the ranks on long term deals.

The thing with a youth policy is you need to give the kids time to grow through the system and become regular players. We've had this system since Carl was here (3 years?) so we are only just now going to see the fruits of it.

You're always going to lose players at any club, but I think we've done all right so far.
The youth policy has been done well but we really dropped the ball on letting some players go in fairness. These include Gomulka, Smith, Al Hassan, Amanatidis and Vidmar.

The latter two have been standouts in the youth system for some time but for whatever reason we didn't offer them contracts or offered them too late so they were poached from other clubs.

Having said that Mohamed Toure has been a success story of the clubs youth program while there's a number of players at the club now who can become long-term players or be sold overseas.
EdDog

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Who's signed for next season

Postby EdDog Fri Sep 29, 2023 9:54 pm

The youth policy has been done well but we really dropped the ball on letting some players go in fairness. These include Gomulka, Smith, Al Hassan, Amanatidis and Vidmar.

The latter two have been standouts in the youth system for some time but for whatever reason we didn't offer them contracts or offered them too late so they were poached from other clubs.

Having said that Mohamed Toure has been a success story of the clubs youth program while there's a number of players at the club now who can become long-term players or be sold overseas.
Sure, but you can't keep all your youth. You can perhaps introduce 2 or 3 per season into the A-League on scholarship deals.

That leaves 10+ who don't get a look in.

Then along comes another club with a different player-need or perspective and decides they want them - happens everywhere in the world.

Return to “Adelaide United F.C.”