Who's signed for next season

The only team for me - Adelaide United F.C!
Discuss the best football club in Australia!

Moderator: Moderators Group

AndyJebiga
Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Judicial

Re: Who's signed for next season

Postby AndyJebiga Wed Jul 05, 2023 9:15 am

I just find the whole idea that the club, who see him come in to work every day and can see the effort he puts in, would re-sign Cavallo if they thought all the other stuff was affecting his football to be extremely implausible.
i understand you're going to fly the club flag, given your position with the club (and thats fair enough)

but lets put all the 'baggage' to one side then and solely focus on what hes actually paid to do for a living, kicking a football around.

if every single player is fit in this squad, does cavallo make the first XI? absolutely not, he wouldnt be anywhere near a starting player - i dont think he'd even make the bench.

there are some really promising local upcoming teenage midfield players that would easily fill his spot in the squad, who would be a hell of a lot cheaper on scholarship wages (considering the club always has to watch its finances, this makes sense rather than keeping cavallo's half decent wage on the books)

as for left back cover for kitto? yeah hes had a couple of good games in that position, but hes had several where hes been caught out of position and responsible in the build up to goals coming from that side of the pitch.

add in that hes been targeted with booing and chanting from both wanderers and victory fans during his time in adelaide (a lot of players that get booed generally respond well to it, he hasnt)

cavallo is easily the most polarising player left at the club, now that hack george blackwood has left - i mean look at the small sample size of the supporter base who have replied in this topic.

some want him gone, some want to give him another chance (based on injuries) - but no one has said, yes 100% keep him - this is the point im trying to make.

no one should be scared to critisize a player like cavallo because you may get ganged on by other supporters accusing you of being homophobic.

its got nothing to do with his sexuallity, its purely down to what he has done with the side as a football player - you know the thing hes paid to do?

as i said in an earlier post, whens the last time hes done any media in relation to football?

the below link was from less than a week ago (as usual not football related)

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football ... w-30342367

if he wants to be a crusader for LGBTQI rights like craig foster is for human rights, hey im all for it (that may be his long term goal and something hes better suited to, than kicking a ball around)
Old Gregg
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Cassiooooooooooo

Postby Old Gregg Wed Jul 05, 2023 12:59 pm

On Cavallo as a footballer, I think he's great to have as a squaddie, and versatile across a few problem positions, so on that basis alone (especially if D'Arrigo is gone) I'd keep him. Nobody is saying he's a first XI starter if everyone is fit, but agree with EdDog that he's shown enough quality at times (notably, just before getting injured) to stay. The fact that he's seen as 'polarising' is really a shame, nobody deserves to get booed by opposition or criticised by their own fans for their sexuality, and in fact Adelaide seems a much more cohesive and unified squad than most of the rest of the league so it's a total non-issue for mine
All I need is some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine.
sub007
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Zach Clough

Postby sub007 Wed Jul 05, 2023 3:37 pm

I just find the whole idea that the club, who see him come in to work every day and can see the effort he puts in, would re-sign Cavallo if they thought all the other stuff was affecting his football to be extremely implausible.
i understand you're going to fly the club flag, given your position with the club (and thats fair enough)

but lets put all the 'baggage' to one side then and solely focus on what hes actually paid to do for a living, kicking a football around.

if every single player is fit in this squad, does cavallo make the first XI? absolutely not, he wouldnt be anywhere near a starting player - i dont think he'd even make the bench.

there are some really promising local upcoming teenage midfield players that would easily fill his spot in the squad, who would be a hell of a lot cheaper on scholarship wages (considering the club always has to watch its finances, this makes sense rather than keeping cavallo's half decent wage on the books)

as for left back cover for kitto? yeah hes had a couple of good games in that position, but hes had several where hes been caught out of position and responsible in the build up to goals coming from that side of the pitch.

add in that hes been targeted with booing and chanting from both wanderers and victory fans during his time in adelaide (a lot of players that get booed generally respond well to it, he hasnt)

cavallo is easily the most polarising player left at the club, now that hack george blackwood has left - i mean look at the small sample size of the supporter base who have replied in this topic.

some want him gone, some want to give him another chance (based on injuries) - but no one has said, yes 100% keep him - this is the point im trying to make.

no one should be scared to critisize a player like cavallo because you may get ganged on by other supporters accusing you of being homophobic.

its got nothing to do with his sexuallity, its purely down to what he has done with the side as a football player - you know the thing hes paid to do?

as i said in an earlier post, whens the last time hes done any media in relation to football?

if he wants to be a crusader for LGBTQI rights like craig foster is for human rights, hey im all for it (that may be his long term goal and something hes better suited to, than kicking a ball around)
You can’t say that you feel this way purely due to what he provides as a footballer and then say that one of the reasons we should release him is because he doesn’t handle homophobic booing well.

Not only is that massively clutching at straws as there is no evidence of that, it goes against everything the club stands for. This club is welcoming to all.

The reason I would release him is purely because he hasn’t performed since his last extension and that football doesn’t seem to be his main focus. For example, he missed a game because he went to an awards night in the UK. His sexuality and the “baggage” he has (whatever that means, shouldn’t come into the conversation at all.
Bptiger25
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Goodwin

Postby Bptiger25 Wed Jul 05, 2023 10:26 pm

Great post sub007 , his football fell of a cliff due him wanting to be a woke crusader. May be he needs to go away , play at a lower level , and decide what path he wants to follow , he was a very solid player when he 1st came here
The Claw
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Who is left

Postby The Claw Wed Jul 05, 2023 10:30 pm

Not sure Cavallaro has done anything football related to earn a 2 yr deal in the last 12 months. Possibly 1 yr on low wages, but after signing Ansell after a major injury, post Achilles for Cavallo along with average form prior, fair enough to question it.

Club definitely needs to make some better signings this off season, quality is needed in a few areas.
EdDog

Postby EdDog Thu Jul 06, 2023 4:33 am

I'm sure every player has hobbies and interests outside of football, some like Josh's are just more public.

I'm sure Goody and other dads spend a lot of time with their kids behind closed doors. Is that a distraction from football - absolutely! I don't see these "distractions" as any different, other than the fact that one is in the public domain which make people think it means Josh isn't focused.

People will always be more comfortable with traditional "distractions" as it's seen as the norm e.g. missing a game for a wedding or birth of child is generally accepted whereas the awards night for Josh (which may have been just as important to him) is seen differently (who even knows if he was being selected for that game?).

Josh had a really good first season, was then injured before Kitto went on fire and locked down his position. Only for Josh to come back, hit form, and be struck down again.

He's good enough and would be cheap. Keep him on and let him do his talking on the park.
mcjules
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Bruce Djite

Postby mcjules Thu Jul 06, 2023 8:52 am

I'm sure every player has hobbies and interests outside of football, some like Josh's are just more public.

I'm sure Goody and other dads spend a lot of time with their kids behind closed doors. Is that a distraction from football - absolutely! I don't see these "distractions" as any different, other than the fact that one is in the public domain which make people think it means Josh isn't focused.

People will always be more comfortable with traditional "distractions" as it's seen as the norm e.g. missing a game for a wedding or birth of child is generally accepted whereas the awards night for Josh (which may have been just as important to him) is seen differently (who even knows if he was being selected for that game?).

Josh had a really good first season, was then injured before Kitto went on fire and locked down his position. Only for Josh to come back, hit form, and be struck down again.

He's good enough and would be cheap. Keep him on and let him do his talking on the park.
Great post.

The club know all about him, we don't. They're not going to waste a spot on the roster and salary cap space on someone they don't think is going to contribute. No one disagrees (I'm sure Josh included) with the fact he did not have a great season last year but the club think he's worthy of being kept on so if it doesn't work, blame them not Josh. He's not hiding anything.

Also, apart from being a paying member since almost the beginning, I have no affliliation with the club. The cost of this website is in the main funded by me (though I have had generous offers in the past from members to pay which I'm very grateful!), the site has no ads and makes no money so I can make whatever calls I want about the direction the club is taking.
AndyJebiga
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Judicial

Postby AndyJebiga Thu Jul 06, 2023 10:20 am

The reason I would release him is purely because he hasn’t performed since his last extension and that football doesn’t seem to be his main focus. For example, he missed a game because he went to an awards night in the UK. His sexuality and the “baggage” he has (whatever that means, shouldn’t come into the conversation at all.

i never said the reason to release him was chanting/booing lol (my reason was even when everyone is fit he would not make the starting XI or even the subs bench)

i only mentioned booing, because plenty of players each week playing football professionally get booed from not only the away supporters but the home ones as well

even in the a league, berisha constantly got the 'gypsy' chant from certain teams, did he ever wilt like a limp flower from it? no

yengi got racially abused while he was with us, look at how he responded?

compare that to players who couldnt cope with the abuse in the a league - ryall (abuse about peadophilia), hope (abuse about his looks) & cavallo (abuse about his sexuallity)

no one likes to get abused as a player, but unfortunately that still happens (the "rent boy" chant at chelsea is still as strong now as it was in the 70's, look at the abuse the players who missed penalties in the euro final got)

the 'baggage' i talk about, you just mentioned an example of (eg going to the UK for an award during the season)

still waiting on for someone to show me any solely 100% football related media that hes done in the past year (without any mention of either his sexuallity or views on how different countries deal with LGBTIQA - the most recent public thing he did (from a week ago) was slamming ugandas death laws)

is cavallo a footballer or a human rights crusader? its not possible to do both

he has done zilch to warrant a contract extension, yes adelaide is generally one of the better clubs at extending players who are long term injured in recent seasons (konstandopoulos, ansell etc) but they've also shown they can be ruthless with long term injury victims recently as well (juande)
MartinAUFC
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isiais
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: UUUNNNIIITTTEEEDDD!!!!!

Postby MartinAUFC Wed Jul 12, 2023 4:34 pm

Lopez (1 year) and Alagich (2 years) have now signed new deals. The former definitely looked like his career was on a downward trajectory last year, and the latter is still a project imo.

I hope we're going to get some fresh blood before the season starts. It's kinda depressing seeing all the new signings at other clubs.
Bptiger25
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Goodwin

Postby Bptiger25 Thu Jul 13, 2023 1:45 pm

Don’t worry the nursing homes are open 7 days a week and 24 hours a day , if we need to top up players , because they seem to be the only people we look at other than the 16 year olds
EdDog

Postby EdDog Fri Jul 14, 2023 4:05 am

Was hoping for a premium midfielder. Biggest hole in the squad at the moment. Can probably make do with what we've got in other spots.
MartinAUFC

Postby MartinAUFC Fri Jul 14, 2023 2:50 pm

Was hoping for a premium midfielder. Biggest hole in the squad at the moment. Can probably make do with what we've got in other spots.

Anybody know how Mauk is going in J2 ? He might be up for a Reds reunion a la Goody now he's had a couple of years on the gravy train.
EdDog

Re: RE: Re: Who's signed for next season

Postby EdDog Sat Jul 15, 2023 7:34 pm

Anybody know how Mauk is going in J2 ? He might be up for a Reds reunion a la Goody now he's had a couple of years on the gravy train.
Killing it.
MartinAUFC

Re: RE: Re: Who's signed for next season

Postby MartinAUFC Mon Jul 17, 2023 2:41 pm

Killing it.

Oh :(
MartinAUFC

Postby MartinAUFC Mon Jul 17, 2023 2:44 pm

https://adelaideunited.com.au/news/luke ... until-2026

Adelaide United is delighted to announce midfielder, Luke Duzel, has penned a three-year contract with the Club.

It might be my piss poor memory, but I can't actually remember this guy playing for us last season.
Was he any good ? He'd wanna be for a 3 year deal.

Return to “Adelaide United F.C.”