Who's signed for next season

The only team for me - Adelaide United F.C!
Discuss the best football club in Australia!

Moderator: Moderators Group

sub007
Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Jonny Yull

Re: Who's signed for next season

Postby sub007 Sat Jul 31, 2021 11:00 am

Ed it has to be $$$ as it makes no sense at all otherwise. I hope Ansrll proves me wrong but good luck to the club selling us this one, many seem perplexed and it’s definitely not a big improvement IMO.
Not feeling the club has any objectives other than running leaner than ever.
Pretty much.

Everything the cub promised has seemingly gone out the window and it seems that Piet is a snake oil salesman.

It's not surprising though given the writing on the wall has been there for weeks.
RedRis
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Carrusca

Postby RedRis Sat Jul 31, 2021 5:23 pm

Oh, All the doom and gloom on this page.
Take a step back people. We just missed the grand final this year, and we will be stronger next season.
My hope is we bring in another left back and an attacking midfielder and I'll be happy.
Stuckey
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Whichever Toure is playing
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Sha la la lala lalaaaa AUFC!

Postby Stuckey Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:06 am

Oh, All the doom and gloom on this page.
Take a step back people. We just missed the grand final this year, and we will be stronger next season.
My hope is we bring in another left back and an attacking midfielder and I'll be happy.
Happens every off-season.
I do agree losing Elsey to pick up Ansell (not that the two movements are directly related I'd imagine) is a disappointing move from the club though.
Time to Djbate!
The Claw
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Spenda Penny
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: down down prices are down

Postby The Claw Sun Aug 01, 2021 11:29 am

Losing Juric and signing Blackwood ( if true) would also be similar to losing Elsey to sign Ansell, would you agree Stuckey?
Its always disapointing when it is transfer season at AU, we usually lose our better known players and replace with unknowns or players who have not made it at other clubs, often with some success at AU. I will alwasy support any player in a red shirt (even former MV scum! :) ), but it just feels that we have gone off the rails from the clubs stated aims/ goals with the signings so far.

It is also extremely concerning to me that we wont sign any foreigners when the pool of well credetialled Aussies has already been cleaned up by the Eastern seaboard clubs and we have 2-3 spots available for foreigners and no marquees etc. Even if we do get Isaais back, I'm not sure he fills any specific immediate needs in the squad (AM, LB, ST) and may not be the player we knew when he was here last.
Hardly anything to get anyone other than the rusted on fans onboard/ excited especially when we lost one of the best things to happen at AU in Mr Djite as well.
Stuckey

Postby Stuckey Sun Aug 01, 2021 5:42 pm

Losing Juric and signing Blackwood ( if true) would also be similar to losing Elsey to sign Ansell, would you agree Stuckey?
Not really I would say Ansell and Elsey are fairly similar players in terms of quality. Just the concept of losing a player who grew up supporting the club and replacing him with a Victory player when from what I gather we could have just made Elsey a better offer is the disappointing part. Especially when the club has made such a deal of playing locals.

I think keeping Juric was always a 50/50 at best given his quality. But him leaving IMO is still a massive lost. If a club can get a full season out of him IMO the basically assures a side of 15+ goals which based on last season's ladder is roughly half the amount of goals a club needs to make the finals. Squads are a real puzzle to piece together but a fit Tomi Juric would be about a quarter of the pieces a club needs!
Time to Djbate!
The Claw

Postby The Claw Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:16 pm

Good analysis Stuckey.
ZANZIBAR
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Owen Goal

Postby ZANZIBAR Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:33 pm

It will just be another season of punching above our weight. It's been the way since the first season.
Bring it on.
sub007

Postby sub007 Mon Aug 02, 2021 12:05 pm

Blackwood announced.

He might not be the most talented footballer we’ve ever signed and I don’t think we need him at bathe current time but it’s very pleasing that he enjoyed his previous stint here and wanted to come back again. I think this demonstrates that we have a good culture and that’s one positive we can take into the current season.
The Claw

Postby The Claw Mon Aug 02, 2021 12:10 pm

I’m glad my fears when Juric left were unfounded considering this “inspired” signing.
Perhaps Maria is in the wings to re-sign and solve our LB issues :shock:
sub007

Postby sub007 Mon Aug 02, 2021 12:17 pm

I’m glad my fears when Juric left were unfounded considering this “inspired” signing.
Perhaps Maria is in the wings to re-sign and solve our LB issues :shock:
I actually think Maria is a good footballer, just played out of position and struggled with Verbeek’s insipid coaching.
EdDog

Postby EdDog Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:02 pm

Juric was fairly injury prone so I'm not too fussed with him leaving. Blackwood is okay at times, but we have a great balance of youth in that 9 position anyway.

I think we were better last season when Yengi was playing up front. Wasn't he starting most games when we had that winning streak?
EdDog

Re: RE: Re: Who's signed for next season

Postby EdDog Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:04 pm

Not really I would say Ansell and Elsey are fairly similar players in terms of quality. Just the concept of losing a player who grew up supporting the club and replacing him with a Victory player when from what I gather we could have just made Elsey a better offer is the disappointing part. Especially when the club has made such a deal of playing locals.

I think keeping Juric was always a 50/50 at best given his quality. But him leaving IMO is still a massive lost. If a club can get a full season out of him IMO the basically assures a side of 15+ goals which based on last season's ladder is roughly half the amount of goals a club needs to make the finals. Squads are a real puzzle to piece together but a fit Tomi Juric would be about a quarter of the pieces a club needs!
Particularly disappointing when you consider there is supposedly an exemption from the cap for a portion of a local player's (or 5-year-plus player's) salary which Elsey surely classified as.
AndyJebiga
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Judicial

Postby AndyJebiga Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:02 pm

Particularly disappointing when you consider there is supposedly an exemption from the cap for a portion of a local player's (or 5-year-plus player's) salary which Elsey surely classified as.
We don't spend anywhere near the cap, so it doesn't even benefit us lol
Stuckey

Re: RE: Re: Who's signed for next season

Postby Stuckey Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:36 am

Is there an article anywhere that runs thru how the salary cap works now?
Time to Djbate!
ChillyPhilly
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Allllllll of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: 'Adelaide, I love you!'

Postby ChillyPhilly Tue Aug 03, 2021 9:06 am

I believe the minimum of the salary cap that can be spent is 85%.
Adelaide United FC: our club, our city, our state.

Return to “Adelaide United F.C.”