Who's signed for next season

The only team for me - Adelaide United F.C!
Discuss the best football club in Australia!

Moderator: Moderators Group

bpowell454
Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Adlung

Re: RE: Re: Who's signed for next season

Postby bpowell454 Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:35 am

From the comments he says something like some memories are stored and shared later, so maybe just a 2 week old photo that he is sharing?

There'll be plenty of opportunity for some young SA guys. As we know 50% of visa players can't play 90 mins, another 25% get homesick and leave midway through their first season and the other 25% gets soft tissue injuries and only plays a handful of games.
shinAUFC
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter

Re: Who's signed for next season

Postby shinAUFC Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:20 am

Looks like a fantastic signing!

I will admit though i would have preferred to have had atleast 1 promising aussie in our first 11 midfield.

We have always had a position for an up and coming player to develop among quality visas in the midfield.

If your midfield trio and starting striker are all visa players, what exactly are you offering australian football?

Its only a minor gripe and im loving the new ambition. I do think its time to look at the 3+1 visa rule though.
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
The voice in our head is the final judge
Reds4Life
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isaias

Postby Reds4Life Sat Jul 21, 2018 12:07 pm

I will admit though i would have preferred to have had atleast 1 promising aussie in our first 11 midfield.

We have always had a position for an up and coming player to develop among quality visas in the midfield.

If your midfield trio and starting striker are all visa players, what exactly are you offering australian football?

Its only a minor gripe and im loving the new ambition. I do think its time to look at the 3+1 visa rule though.
100%

Although at this particular time, I would look at the NT and think "what do the Socceroos need more than anything". The answer to me would be a striker of high quality. We have midfielders, we have a decent enough group of defenders, we need scorers.

I'd love for us to load up quality behind George and feed him all season. If Johan played all season both he and George would have gotten into double figures.
Obarizk
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Jordan Elsey

Postby Obarizk Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:36 pm

MIrko Boland officially announced on twitter

https://twitter.com/AdelaideUnited/stat ... 2947378176
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:55 pm

100%

Although at this particular time, I would look at the NT and think "what do the Socceroos need more than anything". The answer to me would be a striker of high quality. We have midfielders, we have a decent enough group of defenders, we need scorers.

I'd love for us to load up quality behind George and feed him all season. If Johan played all season both he and George would have gotten into double figures.
Mooy and rogic are absolutely quality mids who can compete on the world stage but after that who else?

In terms of positions we do lack strikers, but when you unpack that idea its evident we just lack players who are creative and good with the ball.

Its absolutely no wonder when these roles in the aleague are filled with foreigners.

I felt Konsta proved himself last season and deserved to be a starter, it sends a bit of a message to kids you need to be an athletic winger or a defender to have a chance in your own league.

Ohwell i dont want to be a negative nancy , we are building a nice squad finally and there is so much preseason to go.
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
Obarizk

Postby Obarizk Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:37 pm

Mirko Boland was an Eintracht Braunschweig player, totally loyal to the club. It seems after the one year the club had in the Bundesliga he could have transfered to another Bundesliga club. However he stayed loyal and resigned for the club dropping down the division. The club almost went back to the Bundesliga 2 seasons ago, but last season was a disaster and the club was relegated again. A new coach has come in and did not renew Boland's contract.

Very interesting read, via google translate, of this article in German.
https://regionalsport.de/mirko-boland-i ... iner-aera/

He seems very much a like for like replacement for Adlung, although, perhaps, slightly more attacking. He has also played a few games at left back.
Reds4Life
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isaias

Postby Reds4Life Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:41 pm

100%

Mooy and rogic are absolutely quality mids who can compete on the world stage but after that who else?

In terms of positions we do lack strikers, but when you unpack that idea its evident we just lack players who are creative and good with the ball.

Its absolutely no wonder when these roles in the aleague are filled with foreigners.

I felt Konsta proved himself last season and deserved to be a starter, it sends a bit of a message to kids you need to be an athletic winger or a defender to have a chance in your own league.

Ohwell i dont want to be a negative nancy , we are building a nice squad finally and there is so much preseason to go.
Irvine and Luongo are good options too.

The issue with clubs, and it's fair enough to an extent, is that they bring in talent to win games. Very little is devoted to developing Socceroos.
Obarizk

Postby Obarizk Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:45 pm

100%

It is a very nice squad.
Isaias, Boland and Ilso could be as good as any midfield trio in the competition and the back up with Lia, Brook, Konstandopoulos and others looks very solid.
Elsey and Jakobsen are an excellent centre back combination with very good back up in Regan.
Upfront Baba is quality, hopefully Blackwood has improved and can be very good back up, and if needed Ilso could step in here as well.
Goodwin is a high quality A-league winger, Miluesnic, Kitto, Kristin Konstandopoulos and Niyongabire is a good group of wingers.
Right back is well covered with Marrone and Strain.
Left back is the hole in the squad but I am guessing we are going to go with Scott Galloway, hopefully I am wrong but I am a bit disappointed we have not got someone better.
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Sat Jul 21, 2018 3:57 pm

100%

Irvine and Luongo are good options too.

The issue with clubs, and it's fair enough to an extent, is that they bring in talent to win games. Very little is devoted to developing Socceroos.
You are right there!

The club and manager can only plan their squad to be competitive according to the rules laid out.

Its the administrators who need to set rules that value quality locals rather than playing the visa player lottery.

3+1 visa players is a good start. Salary cap exemptions for players who have been developed by their youth team if they are signed as senoirs etc.

Can we please do away with the idea that clubs can benefit from their youth programs though? Sure we might produce the odd kid who goes to europe and the transfer fee may cover the cost of a youth program over a few years, but very rarely does a youth program translate into trophies.

Infact ignoring youth and relying of visas plus keeping them healthy wins trophies! This will always be reality until administrators re structure the rules

Probably a discussion for another thread.
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:12 pm

Also to add to my last post..

The quality in visa player has dramatically increased in the last 5 years, most foreigners have big euro league experience now.

The quality in aussie has not changed in the last 5 years, it used to be possible for a youth to force a visa player out of the 11. Now there is just no way.

Imagine if riley mcgree was never given his chance, he would probably still be a squaddie at aufc.

Ok rants over ... i promise.

Welcome boland! Exciting season ahead!
Obarizk

Postby Obarizk Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:26 pm

Looing at the squads the squad we have is as good as any in my view. Jets are largely unchanged and City looks good. Sydney and Victory have been gutted and need to make lots of good signings. Perth, WSW and Brisbane look okay. Wellington look to be poor and CCM looks to be a disaster in the making.
Rojos
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isais

Postby Rojos Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:44 pm

Callum Elder anyone?
Obarizk

Postby Obarizk Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:46 pm

There has been talk Elder will go back to Wigan on another loan this time in the championship, which I think would be a good move for him.

He is also about to start a Leicester City preseason match, although Leicester are missing a lot of players due to the world cup and other reasons.
Stuckey
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Whichever Toure is playing
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Sha la la lala lalaaaa AUFC!

Postby Stuckey Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:42 am

Also to add to my last post..

The quality in visa player has dramatically increased in the last 5 years, most foreigners have big euro league experience now.

The quality in aussie has not changed in the last 5 years, it used to be possible for a youth to force a visa player out of the 11. Now there is just no way.

Imagine if riley mcgree was never given his chance, he would probably still be a squaddie at aufc.

Ok rants over ... i promise.

Welcome boland! Exciting season ahead!
110% agree mate. I've mentioned this many times but the salary cap structure is in desperate need to fixing if the nation is ever going to develop talent effectively.
Encourage clubs to hold on to/and use their youth talent by enabling the clubs to pay those players outside the cap. The more players the develop, the more of their squad which is paid outside the cap. Which can lure more exciting talent from overseas as there is more room in the cap for them. Plus if a player has a breakout season like McGree. They don't jump at the first offer they're shown and the club has the flexibility to lock them in long term should that be what they desire.
The league would benefit from a marketing aspect too as fans would get around these one club legends and the constant chopping and changing of significant portions of the squad may be reduced each season allowing more part-time fans to feel less out of the loop with how the club is travelling.
Time to Djbate!
bpowell454
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Adlung

Postby bpowell454 Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:44 am

At all times during the Season, a Club’s Hyundai A-League Player Roster must have:

a minimum of 20 Players;

a maximum of 23 Players;

a minimum of 2 Goalkeepers;

a minimum of 3 Australian Players aged 20 or under;

and a maximum of five foreign players.

Guest Players, Designated Players and Mature Age Rookie Players sit outside the Club’s Hyundai A-League Player Roster. Players on a Club’s Foxtel Y-League Player Roster, including Scholarship Players, are also eligible to participate in the Hyundai A-League.

---

#1 - Margush - 06.2020

#2 - Marrone - 06.2019

#5 - Regan - 06.2019

#6 - Lia - 06.2019

#7 - Kitto - 06.2020

#8 - Isaias Sanchez - 06.2020 - VISA

#9 - Baba Diawara - 06.2019 - VISA

#10 - Ilso - 06.2019 - VISA

#11 - Goodwin - 06.2021

#14 - Blackwood - 06.2019?

#16 - N.Konstandopolous - 06.2020

#17 - Mileusnic - 06.2019

#18 - Brook - - SCHOLARSHIP

#20 - Izzo - 06.2020

#22 - Jakobsen - 06.2020 - VISA

#23 - Elsey - 06.2021

#25 - Stametelopolous - 06.2019 - SCHOLARSHIP

#27 - D'Arrigo - ? - SCHOLARSHIP

#28 - K.Konstandopolous - 06.2019 - SCHOLARSHIP

#29 - Strain - 06.2020

#30 - Isaac Richards - ? - SCHOLARSHIP

#31 - Boland - 06.2020 - VISA

#? - Niyongabire - 06.2020 - SCHOLARSHIP

--

5 VISA players signed
6 SCHOLARSHIP players signed
23 total players signed

Last edited by bpowell454 on Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Adelaide United F.C.”