Who's signed for next season

The only team for me - Adelaide United F.C!
Discuss the best football club in Australia!

Moderator: Moderators Group

supsup
Proud Adelaide United Supporter

Re: Who's signed for next season

Postby supsup Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:48 pm

As Amor said last night, McGree can play as a 6, 8 or 10. I love Mauk but we need to sign McGree for 3 or 4 years. He reminds me a lot of Mauk, good touch, tough, and knows how to move into space. I daresay he shows better awareness and first touch than Mauk already, the kind that creates space, which we saw a lot of last night.

I think another wing player is needed, that is for sure.

My opinion is that Garuccio is neither good enough at LB or LW and the type of player that looks good in a bad team. With Kim and Baba improving our play, you will see that Garuccio will be left wanting. Quote me.
Stuckey
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Whichever Toure is playing
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Sha la la lala lalaaaa AUFC!

Re: RE: Re: Who's signed for next season

Postby Stuckey Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:44 pm

Carrusca deserves another year, the guy is quality.

We also need to be looking at the lads we can bring back:
- Mabil
- Mauk
- Goodwin
- Jeggo
- Malik
- Djite
- Izzo
Sorry to keep bugging you but you've said this a number of times and I'd love to know what exactly he's doing that is quality?
I'm noticing some similarities with how a lot of people (myself included) commented about Bruce at the start of last season and how ineffective he was. I'm pretty sure you were pro Bruce at the time Stuckey and in the end you were 100% right. Now it seems that Carrusca is in a similar position to Bruce where some are disappointed with his effectiveness, others are pro Chelo.

Not having a go, just have noticed than anytime someone praises Chelo, you ask for specific reasons. Some people are going to have a different opinion about him but I think everyone is entitled to an opinion without having to give explanations.

Like I said the other week, perhaps he's being held to a higher standard, relative to his wages, but in my opinion he's been improving his form the last couple of weeks.
Thanks I appreciate your comment of Bruce. I think Bruce being gone is a huge reason why AU are in the position they are in.

Yeah everyone it totally entitled to their opinion. I'm not doubting anyone's judgement I'm just interested to hear how those people came to their conclusion on Carrusca.
I just find it interesting that I can come to an almost opposite conclusion on how Carrusca is playing and I'm partly questioning my own judgement more than anything.
I appreciate that so far you're the only person who is "pro-Chelo" who has offered me an account on why you feel he is a valuable member of the side.
I feel like we did find middle ground on the fact that as you say as a marquee he's held to a higher account. Which IMO is totally justified. He is quality on the ball and does provide a good outlet to other players going forward. I think he was of use last night for McGree. But McGree for me highlights the work Carrusca isn't doing. AU looked their most dangerous when he came thru the middle of the park. If someone told me without seeing the game that AU were dangerous coming thru the middle of the park. The first person I would envisage being on the ball would be Carrusca. But he wasn't, it was all McGree. McGree has stepped up and taken over Mauk's job of being the person who wins the ball in midfield and delivers it in the area. Before Mauk, Jeggo was doing that. So I find that Isaias is generally the person who commences attacks, and now McGree is the person who delivers the ball to the attackers. So I still am at a loss to see what Carrusca's role is exactly. If it's not to begin lead up play and its not to deliver the ball to an attacker. What is Carrusca's job? If it is as we discussed just to release pressure on other players with the ball then I still question whether AU needs to pay marquee wages to a player who is really just a bit part player in attacks. When I believe a youth player could (with time) offer a similar level of service.
If we take last night as an example. IMO Carrusca did very little in the first half. He turned to ball over a number of times when sending the ball forward Which is why his pass success ratio is significantly lower than the rest of the central midfield. (Isaías 23 passes 87.0% success, Kim Jae-Sung 24 passes 95.8% success, Marcelo Carrusca 37 passes 73.0% success, Riley McGree 39 passes 89.7% success. Read more at http://www.adelaideunited.com.au/matchc ... JIRMOre.99). He was also late into the area when the attackers looked to make a cross into the area. This IMO is my biggest issue with him. As a number 10 he must be in forward position in attacks so if the ball is sent into the area he is either back up striker. Or the striker can hopefully lure multiple players nearer to the goals and Carrusca can make a slightly later run and be somewhere between the top of the box and the penalty spot ready to take a shot. This isn't coming from him and I think the fact last night's goal was his first since Jan '16 apparently highlights that further. His game did step up last night but it was when Kim came on. Whether that was to prove a point that he should be in the ACL squad, or Kim showed him what he should actually be doing. Kim used his skill and posed a threat going forward. As a result he was able to get himself and the ball into dangerous areas.
I'm certainly not "anti'-chelo" he has been an excellent player over the years and was a hugely valuable contributor last season when he was fit and firing. I'm just concerned that he's not contributing anywhere near what he can and at this point is offering about the same if not less than local teenagers in the side. AU needs to develop and produce players and the conveyor belt needs to keep pumping out HAL players who will more than likely move on in time. If the club doesn't I'm confident their stay at the bottom of the ladder will drag on. If Carrusca is only offering as much as one of the youth players then there is more benefit in playing those kids to keep the conveyor belt rolling I believe.
Time to Djbate!
Stuckey

Postby Stuckey Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:48 pm

As Amor said last night, McGree can play as a 6, 8 or 10. I love Mauk but we need to sign McGree for 3 or 4 years. He reminds me a lot of Mauk, good touch, tough, and knows how to move into space. I daresay he shows better awareness and first touch than Mauk already, the kind that creates space, which we saw a lot of last night.

My opinion is that Garuccio is neither good enough at LB or LW and the type of player that looks good in a bad team. With Kim and Baba improving our play, you will see that Garuccio will be left wanting. Quote me.
I agree with your comment on McGree. He IMO should be top priority to sign. Lock him in now!

I disagree with Garuccio comment. I imagine he was left out to save him for the ACL I expect him to start v Gamba. Especially as Mileusnic came off injured again.
AU doesn't desperately need a winger as Baba will come in to the striker role and Cirio will then be able to go back to the wing.
Time to Djbate!
Stuckey

Postby Stuckey Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:54 pm

I wonder if we can get mauk and mabil back next season, neither seem to be doing much in europe.

The club nearly not mabil back once so its surely possible.
I feel McGree is now Mauk's replacement. I'd hate to see all his good work go to waste with new player coming in and pushing him to the bench.

I agree someone like Mabil would be hugely useful. Although I don't think he's leaving Europe anytime soon.
Awer Mabil scored one goal and set up two others as Esbjerg defeated SonderjyskE 3-0 upon the resumption of the Danish Superliga overnight.
http://www.fourfourtwo.com.au/news/mabi ... rg--451709

But I'd love to see AU seek out someone similar to Mabil. I think that 75 min live-wire substitution is very useful. I'd love to see Ochieng offered that position more often.
Time to Djbate!
ChillyPhilly
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Allllllll of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: 'Adelaide, I love you!'

Postby ChillyPhilly Sat Feb 18, 2017 4:21 pm

McGree will prove more technically gifted than Mauk (if not already). Mauk was technically able, but was more an endurance machine than a technical one.
Adelaide United FC: our club, our city, our state.
supsup

Postby supsup Sat Feb 18, 2017 5:39 pm

I agree with your comment on McGree. He IMO should be top priority to sign. Lock him in now!

I disagree with Garuccio comment. I imagine he was left out to save him for the ACL I expect him to start v Gamba. Especially as Mileusnic came off injured again.
AU doesn't desperately need a winger as Baba will come in to the striker role and Cirio will then be able to go back to the wing.
You don't need to agree with me because, if you read what I said, you'll see that I'm saying he will be proven to be left wanting in the future. Hence the "quote me". He isn't good enough and that will become clear. Quote me (again).

There are two wings. Cirio is only one player. We need a winger to replace Kamau on the other side that isn't Mileusnic, Kitto, or Ochieng. They are back ups.
sevengoals
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: all of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Expand the league now!

Postby sevengoals Sun Feb 19, 2017 5:50 am

Only critique is continually losing many of our best players for zilch, never begrudge a player for leaving for better opportunities but last year it was Goodwin and Kmauu for free and now McGowan and then people say we have no money, well this is a reason why.
You're right, transfer cash would make the medicine easier to swallow.
I wonder how much United have made in transfers over the years?

B)
" There was, he added, no room for spin, showmanship, hubris or “any of the feelings of invincibility” that so often shackle nations with an imperial past ... " - - -

Pies: 3867

No Roots, No Growth!
Stuckey

Postby Stuckey Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:09 am

You don't need to agree with me because, if you read what I said, you'll see that I'm saying he will be proven to be left wanting in the future. Hence the "quote me". He isn't good enough and that will become clear. Quote me (again).

There are two wings. Cirio is only one player. We need a winger to replace Kamau on the other side that isn't Mileusnic, Kitto, or Ochieng. They are back ups.
I look forward to him proving you wrong :)
I agree the other three aren't quite up to speed yet. Although I still don't believe Kitto is best used on the wing.
Time to Djbate!
Stuckey

Postby Stuckey Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:11 am

Only critique is continually losing many of our best players for zilch, never begrudge a player for leaving for better opportunities but last year it was Goodwin and Kmauu for free and now McGowan and then people say we have no money, well this is a reason why.
You're right, transfer cash would make the medicine easier to swallow.
I wonder how much United have made in transfers over the years?

B)
I agree Kamau leaving for free was terrible business by AU. Probably the worst they have done ever.
I still think the Goodwin may have left sooner than he did if AU pushed him into signing a new deal.
Time to Djbate!
The Claw
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Who is left

Postby The Claw Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:41 am

So lets see if the monkeys running the circus have learnt and sign McGree up for 3 years with a proper buy out clause....
bpowell454
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Adlung

Postby bpowell454 Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:42 am

Surely it comes down to the player as well. If they want to be playing in Europe then long contracts and buy out clauses could possibly go against them?
Stuckey

Postby Stuckey Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:54 am

Surely it comes down to the player as well. If they want to be playing in Europe then long contracts and buy out clauses could possibly go against them?
True. Although if a player has a good buy out clause then they could work with the club. Obviously the club benefits from them developing and creating a revenue stream. For a club like AU this is pretty important so for them to keep the conveyor belt of developing players coming thru is part of their business model I'd guess. If like Goodwin's situation I'd imagine they would have to seek out contracts thru his management team alone which may limit the options they have.
This is where the connection to Spain thru Gombau and Amor could develop further for the club and not only is Spain a place for AU to seek out recruits. But the Spanish connection could also be somewhere the AU players move to either on loan or permanently
Time to Djbate!
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:48 pm

People need to remember buy-out clauses are also a way of enticing quality players or promising youth to a smaller club like aufc over someone like melbourne city.

Most decent players will only see adelaide as a stepping stone and may not be willing to commit to adelaide knowing a big offer may be around the corner.

As annoying as they are, i think its something a club like us has to use in its tool kit to sign players
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
The voice in our head is the final judge
Ghost
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Ryan Strain

Postby Ghost Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:24 pm

People need to remember buy-out clauses are also a way of enticing quality players or promising youth to a smaller club like aufc over someone like melbourne city.

Most decent players will only see adelaide as a stepping stone and may not be willing to commit to adelaide knowing a big offer may be around the corner.

As annoying as they are, i think its something a club like us has to use in its tool kit to sign players
We did this with Mauk and Djite, and who knows we might have even done this with McGowan to get him to sign for another year. However if a player completely refuses to sign because they want to go elsewhere then there is almost nothing the club could. The club could, in theory, throw marquee wages at a young player like Kamau or Mauk but is that really what we want the club doing.

In the end it is almost certainly better to let a player walk at the end of the contract than meeting huge demands just to keep them here when they really want to be elsewhere. A fair wage and the right buy out cause is what the club should offer and if the player refuses then they have to find somewhere else to go that will meet their expectations.
Last edited by Ghost on Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am Scott
View From The Top
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Tarek Elrich

Postby View From The Top Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:32 pm

So lets see if the monkeys running the circus have learnt and sign McGree up for 3 years with a proper buy out clause....
Absolutely. Three years minimum. If we are going to be a club that exists only to develop young players, as some on here seem to want, then it has to be made profitable.

The players also need to be coached/counseled not to go too soon. Surely better to play a season or two longer here than sit on the bench for a reserves side in the Danish second division or whatever. Only the player's agent benefits in the short term from that kind of deal.
Adelaide United:
Winners First A-League Match
Inaugural A-League Premiers
Inaugural FFA Cup Winners
A-League Premiers and Champions 2015-16

Return to “Adelaide United F.C.”