Kamau departure

The only team for me - Adelaide United F.C!
Discuss the best football club in Australia!

Moderator: Moderators Group

RedGrant
Proud Adelaide United Supporter

Re: Kamau departure

Postby RedGrant Fri May 06, 2016 9:08 pm

From bruce kamau
I want to formally confirm that in consultation with my management and my family, we have, albeit being a very difficult one, come to the conclusion that it will be important for my career progression to move to the City Football Group, that incorporates Manchester City and Melbourne City, among other clubs.
Having lived in Adelaide since migrating to Australia with my parents in 1999, I can tell you that this has not been an easy decision. I want to take the opportunity to firstly thank all the fans and supporters of Adelaide United. You are the reason I play football, to entertain you. Without you there would be no joy in the game. You have been amazing to me, your support has been incredible and I sincerely thank you.
Secondly I want to thank the coaching staff and volunteers of Adelaide United. You all have made my career what it is today. Specifically may I mention Michael Valkanis, you saw the potential in me and gave me the opportunity to be part of the Youth Team. Without you Michael I wouldn’t be who I am today. To Josep Gombau and Guillermo Amor, you have been great mentors for me. I have learnt so much from both of you. Thanks for giving me the opportunity to grow and become a better footballer.
To my teammates, you have been the most inspiring and motivating individuals. Your impact will live with me forever. You exemplify what a team truly is, together we each achieved more. We had an incredible season. I will be forever indebted to each of you for the role you have played in moulding me to who I have become today. I take the opportunity to wish you all the very best in your future endeavours.
I have experienced a terrific time during my short stay at Adelaide United; the memories will be forever with me. I am exceptionally proud to have been a member of the team that won the inaugural FFA Cup (2014), A-League Premiership 2015/16 and the ultimate - 2016 A League Champions, has been the best thing to happen in my career so far.
It has been said that for us to grow it is important to challenge ourselves, to get out of our comfort zone, for it is in the realm of the unknown that we become more, we become creative, we grow. I believe that the decision we have made will take me to the next level of my football career. It is the decisions we make today that shape our destiny.
Thanks to you all.
Wise words from a 21 year old...the statement is so carefully worded and crafted and shows maturity beyond his years. Perhaps a cynical person would say a little too well worded....
shinAUFC
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter

Postby shinAUFC Fri May 06, 2016 10:18 pm

damned if he does, damned if he doesnt.
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
The voice in our head is the final judge
EdDog

Postby EdDog Fri May 06, 2016 10:20 pm

Having spoken to him before, he seems very intelligent and level headed.
flavze

Postby flavze Fri May 06, 2016 10:31 pm

i guess thats why Messi had to leave Barca, so he could be the best he could be....... what a load of shit.
ChillyPhilly
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Allllllll of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: 'Adelaide, I love you!'

Postby ChillyPhilly Sat May 07, 2016 2:57 am

Bruce is actually a smart lad with a good head on his shoulders. He's definitely had a good upbringing on the positive side of the African community. Well educated at Rostrevor too.
Adelaide United FC: our club, our city, our state.
Stuckey
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Whichever Toure is playing
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Sha la la lala lalaaaa AUFC!

Postby Stuckey Sat May 07, 2016 9:05 am

i guess thats why Messi had to leave Barca, so he could be the best he could be....... what a load of shit.
I'm not sure what you mean by this? That AU is as good a club as Barca? Or Kamau will become the world's best player? :D Either way I like the sound of it!
Time to Djbate!
Bruuuuuuuuce
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isaias

Postby Bruuuuuuuuce Sat May 07, 2016 10:43 am

I still fail to see how moving to a club he might not even be a regular starter for is better for his football career.
Jessesdad
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Halloran
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: It's a Long Way to the Top

Postby Jessesdad Sat May 07, 2016 11:57 am

He's a young man. He grew up here. Adelaide is small. Melbourne is big. City have a worldwide network of clubs and great facilities. He's just scored in a Grand Final and won both that and the Premiership. What, other than doing it again would keep him here when he's after adventure and the big-time?

That being said, it's sad he couldn't give us another year. But time is short....
Ghost
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Ryan Strain

Postby Ghost Sat May 07, 2016 1:18 pm

I'm not sure what you mean by this? That AU is as good a club as Barca? Or Kamau will become the world's best player? :D Either way I like the sound of it!
I think it was players don't have to change clubs to become their best.
I am Scott
EdDog

Kamau departure

Postby EdDog Sat May 07, 2016 1:38 pm

Upon reflection, I think losing Kamau might be the biggest loss this off season.

We've lost a lot of quality the last few seasons but had players ready in the wings to step up.

When Ferreira was here, Mabil played a lot from the bench.
When Ferreira left, Mabil stepped up and Goody mostly played off the bench.
When Mabil left, Goody took his spot with Kamau playing more from the bench (and cementing his spot late in the season).

Now both are gone and there is really no A-League level winger who has had much experience in our system.

Unless we count Dugandzic who I would have expected to be released.

Maybe we will hold on to him now.
tinby
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Toure

Postby tinby Sat May 07, 2016 9:02 pm

From that letter it sounds like his family had more say than him, also the lawyer that penned that shows all the nous and loyalty of someone who has no real idea.
Bottom line is that at this stage we've got the best coach in Australia and City have still go JVS.
That may change, but at this stage I think Kamau's the loser, but good luck to him even though I think if he gets to Europe he'll spend 90% of the time on the bench.
terry tibbs

Postby terry tibbs Sun May 08, 2016 11:20 am

Nothing I've seen about this suggests its about his short term future.

Just looks like Bruce and his family have had their heads turned by potential glory and riches. I don't begrudge him one bit, but it still doesn't look like the right (football) decision from the outside.

He's a talent but a replaceable one. Going to a worse team with a worse manager? Bright lights of Melbourne, commercial opportunities there and the City group seem a likely explanation.

Oh well. On we go...
Slingy

Postby Slingy Mon May 09, 2016 1:17 pm

Obviously he wants to experience something different to Adelaide United.
Trading a good coaches for poor coaches
Trading good supporters for no supporters
Trading a starting position for uncertainty
Trading international exposure through ACL for nothing

The only possible reasons he'd be moving are:
1- Dodgy under the table agent payments
or
2- Banking on City Football Group getting him to Europe

I think number 2 would have to be ruled out considering that two players who've played the same position as Bruce have been picked up by reasonable teams in Europe in the last two seasons. I'd consider that this indicates that once European clubs think he's ready, he'll get an offer if he's in Adelaide.
Slingy

Postby Slingy Mon May 09, 2016 1:20 pm

I'm just extremely cynical about this.

Getting out of your comfort zone is one thing.. But unless he has some sort of guarantee of something we don't know about, it looks like a very bad decision.
Futbol_Crazy21
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isaias
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: all of them

Postby Futbol_Crazy21 Mon May 09, 2016 1:49 pm

I'm just extremely cynical about this.

Getting out of your comfort zone is one thing.. But unless he has some sort of guarantee of something we don't know about, it looks like a very bad decision.
Everyone is capable of making them. Mini-Bruce is no different.

Return to “Adelaide United F.C.”