Supporters & the Police - Don’t stand so close to me

Discuss Australia's top-flight football leagues.

Moderator: Moderators Group

otto62
Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isaias

Supporters & the Police - Don’t stand so close to me

Postby otto62 Tue Mar 05, 2024 4:30 pm

What is going on with clashes between supporters and police last weekend? And leading to two supporter group walk outs?

The RBB certainly contain a big element of nut jobs looking for a fight (and it was a sold out derby match so the police might have been a bit hyper-vigilant), but come on … Brisbane? They’re a bunch of pussy cats and most of the ones on video looked about 14 years old.
sevengoals
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: all of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Expand the league now!

Re: Supporters & the Police - Don’t stand so close to me

Postby sevengoals Sat Mar 09, 2024 7:42 pm

What actually happened?
I have not seen any video.

Was it all blown out of proportion?

B)
" There was, he added, no room for spin, showmanship, hubris or “any of the feelings of invincibility” that so often shackle nations with an imperial past ... " - - -

Pies: 3867

No Roots, No Growth!
blahblah
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: the kit bag guy
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Bound for South Australia

Postby blahblah Sun Mar 10, 2024 2:22 pm

It is very difficult to say, as South Australia has police appear to have a culture regarding sports that appears more aligned with Western Australia and Victoria than NSW or Qld. Hence we tend to lack a point of reference when it comes to these types of interactions.

Having a stadium dedicated to football helps; of that I am certain.
sevengoals

Postby sevengoals Sun Mar 10, 2024 8:02 pm

It is very difficult to say, as South Australia has police appear to have a culture regarding sports that appears more aligned with Western Australia and Victoria than NSW or Qld. Hence we tend to lack a point of reference when it comes to these types of interactions.

I'm sorry blahblah but that confused me a bit.
What is the difference between the states when it comes to policing our game?

B)
" There was, he added, no room for spin, showmanship, hubris or “any of the feelings of invincibility” that so often shackle nations with an imperial past ... " - - -

No Roots, No Growth!
blahblah

Postby blahblah Fri Mar 15, 2024 8:30 pm

B)
Essentially each state police department in Australia is independent. As such each has different training, different policies and a different management culture. South Australian police have a more inclusive, community centred approach (partly as a result of having less people and operating in smaller communities). It doesn't make them perfect, however does make them easier to reach and have meaningful discussions with over issues such as active support at football games.
sevengoals

Postby sevengoals Fri Mar 15, 2024 8:38 pm

B)
Essentially each state police department in Australia is independent. As such each has different training, different policies and a different management culture. South Australian police have a more inclusive, community centred approach (partly as a result of having less people and operating in smaller communities). It doesn't make them perfect, however does make them easier to reach and have meaningful discussions with over issues such as active support at football games.
So this is why Australia has racist, homophobic, misogynistic policing in some states?

B)

No Roots, No Growth!
blahblah

Postby blahblah Fri Mar 15, 2024 8:43 pm

So this is why Australia has racist, homophobic, misogynistic policing in some states?
Some state police departments do better than others, in this regard.

It helps explain why the problems between police and activie support that make the news appear regularly come from the same few places.

Not to say the others are perfect, however their incidents of police-community grief are significantly less.
sevengoals

Postby sevengoals Sun Mar 17, 2024 8:28 pm

Some state police departments do better than others, in this regard.

It helps explain why the problems between police and activie support that make the news appear regularly come from the same few places.

Not to say the others are perfect, however their incidents of police-community grief are significantly less.

There is still a long way to go.

B)

No Roots, No Growth!

Return to “A-Leagues”