A-League Men 2022/23

Discuss Australia's top-flight football leagues.

Moderator: Moderators Group

EdDog
Proud Adelaide United Supporter

Re: A-League Men 2022/23

Postby EdDog Thu Dec 22, 2022 8:28 am

The incident at the MV v MCY game I see as a separate issue to the GF decision.

The OSM group were just out looking for trouble and don't care for our game or the club (MV) or the A-League. Any fan who does care for our league does not engage in this cowardly, damaging behaviour.

The GF decision is opposed by the vast majority of fans. The peaceful protests thus far have shown this.

Unfortunately the two have been conflated (the OSM pitch invasion and the GF decision) but I consider them separate issues, as do most fans.

Hopefully the fans can continue with their peaceful protest against the APL GF decision without the OSM distraction in the coming weeks.

I support the peaceful protests.
Last edited by EdDog on Thu Dec 22, 2022 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
otto62
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isaias

Postby otto62 Thu Dec 22, 2022 9:07 am

The incident at the MV v MCY game
I see as a separate issue to the GF decision.

The OSM group were just out looking for trouble and don't care for our game or the club (MV) or the A-League. Any fan who does care for our league does not engage in this cowardly, damaging behaviour.

The GF decision is opposed by the vast majority of fans. The peaceful protests thus far have shown this.

Unfortunately the two have been conflated (the OSM pitch invasion and the GF decision) but I consider them separate issues, as do most fans.

Hopefully the fans can continue with their peaceful protest against the APL GF decision without the OSM distraction in the coming weeks.

I support the peaceful protests.
Fair enough. I have no problem with peaceful protests continuing, I just don’t feel comfortable personally support ing it now.
I completely disagree with the decision by the APL, but I don’t think they should reverse it now. To back flip now can’t avoid sending the wrong message.

What I would like to see moving forward is the APL to meet with delegates from the active support groups and see if all can agree to:
1. A review after two years - did the idea work, like the APL says it will (and set the parameters now by which to measure it);
2. A meeting in two years with delegates of all supporter groups - to discuss the pros and cons of returning to the current system of earning a home GF (of course the APL makes the final decision, but at least the fans would be kept in the loop and given a voice);
3. No decision by APL to enter into a new contract until after this process has all taken place.

Not the preferred outcome, but IMO the best we can hope to achieve without further damaging the sport or the league.
RedTide
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Bernardo + Dylan Holmes
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: The Self-Preservation Society

Postby RedTide Fri Dec 23, 2022 4:53 pm

The filth's 'punishments' have just been announced and sure enough, it's pathetic. Absolute total surrender by the APL to the filth hierarchy and their backroom pressure. No loss of competition points, no suspension from any ACL campaign, not even a fine. The measures don't even amount to a slap on the wrist. Utterly spineless and pathetic.
"Hang on, lads; I've got a great idea".
bpowell454
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Adlung

Re: RE: Re: A-League Men 2022/23

Postby bpowell454 Fri Dec 23, 2022 8:03 pm

The filth's 'punishments' have just been announced and sure enough, it's pathetic. Absolute total surrender by the APL to the filth hierarchy and their backroom pressure. No loss of competition points, no suspension from any ACL campaign, not even a fine. The measures don't even amount to a slap on the wrist. Utterly spineless and pathetic.
I thought I read that these are interim measures while the matter is being investigated?

I wonder if Glover will get any fine/suspension, he really should have just left it to security or whoever uses the bucket for its intended use. I know people don't want to talk about it but him throwing the flare into the crowd clearly escalated the situation whether it was intentional or not. Being hit by the bucket seconds later doesn't change that it happened and he also put the referee in harms way by just standing there after doing it. The flares shouldn't have been on the pitch in the first place and the flares did get thrown at the cameraman and towards Glover but why get involved in a security issue.

Interloper

Postby Interloper Sat Dec 24, 2022 12:45 pm

It's an interim punishment while the "real" punishment is determined. It's also incoherent gibberish.

The longer it takes though, the less confident I am in an adequate punishment being handed down. (The conspiracist in me suspects its as much about shielding City and their sacks of cash. note though, this incident is essentially entirely victory fans fault)
MartinAUFC
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isiais
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: UUUNNNIIITTTEEEDDD!!!!!

Postby MartinAUFC Sat Dec 24, 2022 3:23 pm

Trying to keep Victory fans out of the stadium for "away" games in Melbourne - that'll be fun.
sevengoals
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: all of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Expand the league now!

Postby sevengoals Sat Dec 31, 2022 4:15 am

This must have been produced before the crazy farked up MV incident.

Well made as usual.
B)
" There was, he added, no room for spin, showmanship, hubris or “any of the feelings of invincibility” that so often shackle nations with an imperial past ... " - - -

Pies: 3867

No Roots, No Growth!
RedTide

Postby RedTide Tue Jan 03, 2023 10:47 am

On a related topic - has anyone else noticed that the filth are having an absolute Barry Crocker of a season? They are currently second bottom and only just ahead of Perth, who would struggle to win a pub chook raffle at the moment. So much for Tony Popovic being the messiah who would take the filth back into the finals.

Quite apart from all the violence, damage and hatred that the filth fans cause, their team is rubbish. Can't wait for us to play them in Crimebourne - in front of empty stands!
bpowell454

Postby bpowell454 Tue Jan 03, 2023 11:47 am

I think they've also had a record loss last season too. "Biggest club in the league"
EdDog

Postby EdDog Tue Jan 10, 2023 5:37 pm

It's an interim punishment while the "real" punishment is determined. It's also incoherent gibberish.

The longer it takes though, the less confident I am in an adequate punishment being handed down. (The conspiracist in me suspects its as much about shielding City and their sacks of cash. note though, this incident is essentially entirely victory fans fault)
Turns out this was spot on.

Suspended points deduction and a fine.

City match is replayed from 0-1 at the 23 minute mark.

What a joke.
RedTide

Postby RedTide Tue Jan 10, 2023 6:42 pm

It just goes to show much backroom influence the filth hierarchy has. They have p***ed in the APL's ear and said something like "you hammer us with a loss of competition points, the fans walk and your coffers are empty" - or something to that effect. So the APL rolled over and let the filth tickle their corporate tummy.

The hypocrisy is revolting. Can you imagine one of the smaller clubs - eg. us? - being allowed to get away with a full riot?

I'm so angry I can hardly stab my keyboard coherently.
otto62
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isaias

Postby otto62 Tue Jan 10, 2023 8:08 pm

$450,000 isn’t peanuts. We’ll done APL.
But yes, I think say 6 points this season, as well as the 10 points suspended would have been reasonable. Not too worried though as they are already having a shocker of a season. 😁
RedTide

Postby RedTide Tue Jan 10, 2023 8:22 pm

Let's not forget that the filth as a business has just been valued at $40m .... so a $450k fine is like the small change down the back of the couch for them.

More importantly, the APL docking them match points would have sent a very strong signal to the rest of the competition, all the A League fans and the nation as a whole that they will stamp out violence in the strongest possible way and show everyone that it is completely unacceptable. MV were in a similar position maybe 5 years ago, following an ACL match and the same thing happened. The then FFA suspended their sentence of docked points and the filth promised to be on their best behaviour. Look where that has got the League now.

My view, which I recognise may not be widely shared, is that the APL failed us all.
EdDog

Postby EdDog Tue Jan 10, 2023 10:14 pm

I may have a short memory but I feel like the action of these "fans" is one of the worst things to happen in the A-League's short history. As such I think it warranted a harsher response.

Loss of competition points and at least the City game being a 0-3 loss to Victory.

I can sort of understand, in this league where television rights dominate decision making, the requirement to replay it but it just brings into question the integrity of the league.
bpowell454

Postby bpowell454 Tue Jan 10, 2023 11:23 pm

I may have a short memory but I feel like the action of these "fans" is one of the worst things to happen in the A-League's short history. As such I think it warranted a harsher response.

Loss of competition points and at least the City game being a 0-3 loss to Victory.

I can sort of understand, in this league where television rights dominate decision making, the requirement to replay it but it just brings into question the integrity of the league.
Brings into question the integrity of the league? When did this league have integrity?

Big fine plus they'll lose revenue and fans over this but some points deducted immediately would have been warranted.

I still think Glover is lucky to get away without any sanction, what a stupid thing to do and I feel like if he didn't get hurt/injured he may have gotten into trouble. I know that's a contentious opinion but I've seen others elsewhere have similar opinions including the Mariners coach.

Return to “A-Leagues”