A-League Men 2022/23

Discuss Australia's top-flight football leagues.

Moderator: Moderators Group

Woy of the Wovers
Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Hiroshi

Re: A-League Men 2022/23

Postby Woy of the Wovers Tue Jan 10, 2023 11:54 pm

Sydney 58 got 40 points deduction (suspended) for singing songs and doing Nazi salutes.
$15k fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
EdDog

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: A-League Men 2022/23

Postby EdDog Tue Jan 10, 2023 11:55 pm

I may have a short memory but I feel like the action of these "fans" is one of the worst things to happen in the A-League's short history. As such I think it warranted a harsher response.

Loss of competition points and at least the City game being a 0-3 loss to Victory.

I can sort of understand, in this league where television rights dominate decision making, the requirement to replay it but it just brings into question the integrity of the league.
Brings into question the integrity of the league? When did this league have integrity?

Big fine plus they'll lose revenue and fans over this but some points deducted immediately would have been warranted.

I still think Glover is lucky to get away without any sanction, what a stupid thing to do and I feel like if he didn't get hurt/injured he may have gotten into trouble. I know that's a contentious opinion but I've seen others elsewhere have similar opinions including the Mariners coach.
Tough one. Flare shouldn't be on the pitch in the first place. If he's thrown it accidentally into the crowd then it is harsh to blame him, but intentionally is a different story (and impossible to distinguish).

In future I guess flares need to be left to security to deal with.
RedTide
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Bernardo + Dylan Holmes
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: The Self-Preservation Society

Re: RE: Re: A-League Men 2022/23

Postby RedTide Wed Jan 11, 2023 12:06 am

I may have a short memory but I feel like the action of these "fans" is one of the worst things to happen in the A-League's short history. As such I think it warranted a harsher response.

Loss of competition points and at least the City game being a 0-3 loss to Victory.

I can sort of understand, in this league where television rights dominate decision making, the requirement to replay it but it just brings into question the integrity of the league.
Brings into question the integrity of the league? When did this league have integrity?

Big fine plus they'll lose revenue and fans over this but some points deducted immediately would have been warranted.

I still think Glover is lucky to get away without any sanction, what a stupid thing to do and I feel like if he didn't get hurt/injured he may have gotten into trouble. I know that's a contentious opinion but I've seen others elsewhere have similar opinions including the Mariners coach.
Absolutely spot on BP. This league has just prostituted its GFs for the next 3 years, for 30 pieces of silver. The APL would not know 'integrity' if it tripped over it on the street.

All that notwithstanding, I totally agree that Glover should never have thrown the flare back into the crowd. Yes, they were moron filth fans who threw it in the first place, but flares are burning phosphorous and are incredibly dangerous. (Phosphorous weapons, as an aside, have already been banned in modern warfare). I suspect that if TG could have his time over, he would leave the burning flare for the security personnel with their sand buckets.
"Hang on, lads; I've got a great idea".
Interloper

Postby Interloper Wed Jan 11, 2023 9:08 am

Football Australia handle the punishment here, not APL.

A forfeit was never on. No sporting competition in the world is going to do anything that remotely suggests fan action like this can affect the result. It's also interesting that the "resume from 22 minutes at 1-0" thing is being read as 'classic a-league', when the truth seems much closer to "This is what everywhere else in the world does and we aren't deviating from it."

Personally I think the end result is disappointing. FA's initial statement in the immediate aftermath was very strong and I was hoping for decisive action as a result. While the financial hit is significant and probably enough to send a "We're fucking serious" message to all clubs. Everything else is weak as hell.

Glover deserved a suspension*, City needed to explain their own fans, Victory needed points penalties for this season and next + suspended additional penalties with a much lower threshold to take effect.

*Glover played the next week. Probably useful ammunition for the defense lawyer when bin throwing guy is sentenced for his crimes.
otto62
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isaias

Postby otto62 Thu Jan 12, 2023 2:22 pm

Re the threshold to activate the points deduction - I agree, way too low.
Interloper

Postby Interloper Fri Jan 13, 2023 4:58 pm

otto62

Postby otto62 Fri Jan 13, 2023 7:49 pm

I think that’s the best outcome we could have hoped for, following MV’s pitch invasion.

Can’t believe OSM are doubling down, rather than seeking a re-branded reinvention.
otto62

Postby otto62 Fri Jan 13, 2023 7:50 pm

CCM lead Macarthur 2-0 after 27 minutes. Maybe our 4-0 loss with 10 men wasn’t as bad as it seemed? 😁
otto62

Postby otto62 Fri Jan 13, 2023 9:20 pm

CCM lead Macarthur 2-0 after 27 minutes. Maybe our 4-0 loss with 10 men wasn’t as bad as it seemed? 😁
Unlike us, Macarthur came out second half and made a game of it. 🙁
Interloper

Postby Interloper Fri Jan 13, 2023 10:46 pm

I think that’s the best outcome we could have hoped for, following MV’s pitch invasion.

Can’t believe OSM are doubling down, rather than seeking a re-branded reinvention.
It literally would have been better to have done nothing and given up. One meeting and They've completely capitulated to the APL on behalf of all fans in exchange for nothing.

Active support can go to hell.
sevengoals
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: all of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Expand the league now!

Postby sevengoals Fri Jan 13, 2023 11:05 pm

" There was, he added, no room for spin, showmanship, hubris or “any of the feelings of invincibility” that so often shackle nations with an imperial past ... " - - -

Pies: 3867

No Roots, No Growth!
otto62

Postby otto62 Sat Jan 21, 2023 10:23 pm

Watching Perth v Victory. (I know.)
No wonder they’re both down near the bottom. Both playing at million miles an hour playing one & two touch football, with every second or third pass missing the intended target. Then rinse and recycle. It’s basketball.
sevengoals

Postby sevengoals Sat Jan 28, 2023 10:22 pm

These three 2 all draws today have worked in our favour.

B)
" There was, he added, no room for spin, showmanship, hubris or “any of the feelings of invincibility” that so often shackle nations with an imperial past ... " - - -

No Roots, No Growth!
otto62

Postby otto62 Sun Jan 29, 2023 12:42 pm

B)
Indeed. Now, can we capitalise on it?
sevengoals

Postby sevengoals Sun Jan 29, 2023 3:06 pm

B)
Indeed. Now, can we capitalise on it?
So far so good ...

B)

No Roots, No Growth!

Return to “A-Leagues”