A-League Men 2022/23

Discuss Australia's top-flight football leagues.

Moderator: Moderators Group

otto62
Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isaias

Re: RE: Re: A-League Men 2022/23

Postby otto62 Sat Dec 17, 2022 9:41 pm

I still back peaceful protests.

Tonight what we saw was a disgrace and shame on Australian football but it was a reaction from a small section of idiots (who should be banned and charged with assualt) and not their entire supporter base.

There is no way this was a planned protest against APL but an overreaction to Glover throwing a flare deep into the crowd.

I'm basing this on fan accounts from the game that Glover returned a second flare "about 10 rows back".

I'm not excusing the reaction of the fans, I'm merely providing what I understand to be context. The pitch invasion and assault is inexcusable.

Long way back from here. Might be the death of the comp.
Hopefully not the end of the league.
The a-league has been a massive step forward for football in almost every way.

Did the fan accounts mention which row the two flares were thrown at Glover from?
Not trying to defend it.

I've now seen plenty of footage.

Chain of events:
2 flares thrown onto pitch at Glover
He returns second one into crowd
Thugs storm pitch and assault him and ref

Reportedly some of the thugs on camera already have life bans from the sport. How are they getting in?

Now we need them to face criminal charges.

The stereotypes we've been trying to get away from for years are now reinforced for another generation.
I agree he was stupid to throw the flare back. That’s what the bucket is there for. Where were the stewards racing to get the flares and extinguish them?
bpowell454
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Adlung

Re: A-League Men 2022/23

Postby bpowell454 Sat Dec 17, 2022 10:23 pm

Dark day for football. Glover reacting was stupid, idiots who stormed the pitch way worse, c&#t that threw the bucket may have ruined football in Australia for the foreseeable future.

Not sure where it goes from here.

APL not to blame for this ludicrous incident but they have a hand in creating this tension between the game and fans but who organised the security for this game? Should have been a heap of seccos and stewards along each end expecting flares and angry fans. Unless they wanted fans to commit media suicide?
EdDog

Postby EdDog Sat Dec 17, 2022 11:13 pm

Dark day for football. Glover reacting was stupid, idiots who stormed the pitch way worse, c&#t that threw the bucket may have ruined football in Australia for the foreseeable future.

Not sure where it goes from here.

APL not to blame for this ludicrous incident but they have a hand in creating this tension between the game and fans but who organised the security for this game? Should have been a heap of seccos and stewards along each end expecting flares and angry fans. Unless they wanted fans to commit media suicide?
The more I read the worse it gets.
Reports coming out that some of the thugs on the pitch already have life bans. How did they get in?
Agree that APL was the catalyst for the fan tension and your point about extra security is a good one.
Reports of families and children shaken and crying after the scenes.
I'm so mad / sad that these weak excuses for human beings who don't support the league or probably MVC have set football back so far.
sevengoals
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: all of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Expand the league now!

Postby sevengoals Sun Dec 18, 2022 12:06 am

Fark!
I go to sleep and football in Australia spontaneously combusts.

From what I have picked up from this thread I understand that some MV fans threw 2 flares at an opposition player who threw one back into the fan section and then a group of dickheads ( i will not call them supporters or fans) stormed the pitch, attacked said player AND the Referee!?!

Match abandoned and that's all she wrote ...

FARK after the national team do us proud, farken idiots shit on them, the sport and the rest of us.

B)
" There was, he added, no room for spin, showmanship, hubris or “any of the feelings of invincibility” that so often shackle nations with an imperial past ... " - - -

Pies: 3867

No Roots, No Growth!
RedTide
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Bernardo + Dylan Holmes
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: The Self-Preservation Society

Postby RedTide Sun Dec 18, 2022 10:43 am

It's always the filth fans who spoil it for the whole competition. They have always been brain dead morons. The ONLY fan violence at any AUFC match is ALWAYS caused by the filth fans. We've all noted before how the SAPOL presence at AUFC matches triples when the filth play at Hindmarsh, complete with the Mounted Cadre and the cage cars (divvy vans) on hand for the inevitable arrests.

You have to wonder when the filth hierarchy will ever realise how sick the whole competition is of their disgusting, violent fans and the trouble that they bring to the league. They can hardly complain that this is a new development; the filth have always caused trouble.

It's time for the APL, or whatever they are calling themselves this week, to finally take some severe action. Not just a fine, which will be laughed off, but actually take all the points off the filth, force them to play their home matches behind closed doors and refuse to allow them to appear in the ACL next year, if the filth somehow top the league this season.

For any filth fans reading this forum - we're all sick to death of you and the constant trouble that you cause. Get out of our league and our sport and go back to fighting and killing each other in Federation Square, or whatever it is that you think constitutes a fun weekend in Crimebourne.
"Hang on, lads; I've got a great idea".
Old Gregg
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Cassiooooooooooo

Postby Old Gregg Sun Dec 18, 2022 11:29 am

It's always the filth fans who spoil it for the whole competition. They have always been brain dead morons. The ONLY fan violence at any AUFC match is ALWAYS caused by the filth fans. We've all noted before how the SAPOL presence at AUFC matches triples when the filth play at Hindmarsh, complete with the Mounted Cadre and the cage cars (divvy vans) on hand for the inevitable arrests.

You have to wonder when the filth hierarchy will ever realise how sick the whole competition is of their disgusting, violent fans and the trouble that they bring to the league. They can hardly complain that this is a new development; the filth have always caused trouble.

It's time for the APL, or whatever they are calling themselves this week, to finally take some severe action. Not just a fine, which will be laughed off, but actually take all the points off the filth, force them to play their home matches behind closed doors and refuse to allow them to appear in the ACL next year, if the filth somehow top the league this season.

For any filth fans reading this forum - we're all sick to death of you and the constant trouble that you cause. Get out of our league and our sport and go back to fighting and killing each other in Federation Square, or whatever it is that you think constitutes a fun weekend in Crimebourne.
come on man, more than a few times I've seen dickheads from our ranks try to cause trouble (usually those black shirted dipshits living out their hool fantasies). Victory have a bigger problem than most clubs but at the last home game v Victory there were tons of Adelaide lads throwing bottles and shit into their away end. Let's not pretend it's just MV's problem - HOWEVER their club & supporter groups need to put a lot more effort into weeding out the troublemakers.
All I need is some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine.
RedTide
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Bernardo + Dylan Holmes
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: The Self-Preservation Society

Postby RedTide Sun Dec 18, 2022 11:59 am

Sorry but I've never seen that from our supporters. Shouted comments and abuse yes, but never anything thrown.

Now have I seen it from other supporters' groups.
"Hang on, lads; I've got a great idea".
Interloper

Postby Interloper Sun Dec 18, 2022 3:53 pm

come on man, more than a few times I've seen dickheads from our ranks try to cause trouble (usually those black shirted dipshits living out their hool fantasies). Victory have a bigger problem than most clubs but at the last home game v Victory there were tons of Adelaide lads throwing bottles and shit into their away end. Let's not pretend it's just MV's problem - HOWEVER their club & supporter groups need to put a lot more effort into weeding out the troublemakers.
I remember the long period where you couldn't have a lid on a bottle of water at Hindmarsh due to fans throwing stuff at the opposition keeper.

Or the time active support made a farewell banner for Veart's last game and accidentally set it on fire with a flare.
otto62

Postby otto62 Sun Dec 18, 2022 5:08 pm

Last Victory game, after the game was disgusting, with Adelaide “fans” throwing bottles of water into the away bay. Lots of shouting back and forth and I have no idea who started throwing things, but I was really disappointed by our Adelaide idiots that joined in.
EdDog

Postby EdDog Sun Dec 18, 2022 8:15 pm

Harsh to tarnish all Victory fans with the same brush.

These thugs just want to cause trouble.

Reports coming out now that the invasion was planned and I'm seeing images of the perpetrators wearing footy boots (with studs for grip).

If so, this makes it so much worse and APL needs to come down much harder.

Points deduction, games behind closed doors, no FFA Cup, no ACL, huge fine.

None of these "suspended" sanctions that only kick in if it happens again. Club needs to be taken to the cleaners.

I know it punishes the majority of Victory fans who do the right thing but it has to happen.

This is ruining our game.
Old Gregg
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Cassiooooooooooo

Postby Old Gregg Sun Dec 18, 2022 8:27 pm

Completely agree EdDog, it's a tough on the other Victory supporters but there has to be genuine consequences this time round.
All I need is some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine.
otto62

Postby otto62 Wed Dec 21, 2022 7:43 am

Having read the joint statement from all the supporter groups … I must say I’m not impressed … at all.

A dismissive comment about the violence, which expresses … no concern for the cameraman, referee or player who were injured …. no acknowledgement of the damage done to the game and the impact on every ordinary supporter … ONLY a boo hoo that it’s impacted their own protest … AND a demand that fans groups get included in the sport’s decision making process.

IMO that would just send the sport further in the wrong direction.
The supporter groups have already agitated to kick out the independent FFA and replaced it with the self interest focus group which is the APL.
The last thing we need is to give the supporter groups a say in the decision making process.
EdDog

Postby EdDog Wed Dec 21, 2022 8:45 am

Having read the joint statement from all the supporter groups … I must say I’m not impressed … at all.

A dismissive comment about the violence, which expresses … no concern for the cameraman, referee or player who were injured …. no acknowledgement of the damage done to the game and the impact on every ordinary supporter … ONLY a boo hoo that it’s impacted their own protest … AND a demand that fans groups get included in the sport’s decision making process.

The supporter groups have already agitated to kick out the independent FFA and replaced it with the self interest focus group which is the APL.
The last thing we need is to give the supporter groups a say in the decision making process.
It was a group statement from the supporter groups who had nothing to do with the violence. It explicitly excluded the OSM / Victory fan group.

It was written by the fans that have been peacefully protesting.

I thought it was fine.
Stuckey
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Whichever Toure is playing
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Sha la la lala lalaaaa AUFC!

Postby Stuckey Wed Dec 21, 2022 1:19 pm

It was a group statement from the supporter groups who had nothing to do with the violence. It explicitly excluded the OSM / Victory fan group.

It was written by the fans that have been peacefully protesting.

I thought it was fine.
I agree. I fear the powers that be will use the violence to gloss over their total disregard for the fans in both the decision making process and outcome of the grand final venue deal.
IMO fans are losing out every which way we look. We're losing a potential home GF, we as a group are being look upon as part of a game of thugs, as fans we're having what should be a glorious honeymoon period where interest in the game has never been higher completely tarnished by these morons in Melbourne and no doubt the powers that be will enforce tighter restrictions on match days, which had been slowing eroding over the years bring our match day experiences closer to what we see at most other sporting codes.
Time to Djbate!
bpowell454
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Adlung

Postby bpowell454 Wed Dec 21, 2022 7:48 pm

I've been thinking about alternative tourism opportunities for NSW and football together that doesn't affect the integrity of the competition and I think a 10 day football festival in Sydney could have been a good option. Each team plays 2 or 3 games over the 10 days. No one has to give up a home game because there are so many Sydney teams already but give teams the option of selling a home game if they want (it's happened before). Do it in early January when people are off work and have other events in between games.

All teams involved, heaps of football and a Sydney based event that doesn't undermine the competition.

Return to “A-Leagues”