A-League Men 2022/23

Discuss Australia's top-flight football leagues.

Moderator: Moderators Group

Interloper
Proud Adelaide United Supporter

Re: RE: Re: A-League Men 2022/23

Postby Interloper Tue Dec 13, 2022 10:29 am

Have Adelaide United made a statement? Other clubs have made exceedingly weak statements against this, but at least its something.
Presumably in agreement with it.

Goody has come out and said he doesn't support it.
Yeah. Even the clubs that have been vocal have a huge "We're sorry we got caught" energy to them. Maybe it's better they keep their mouth shut.

Goodwin's comments were good and necessary. But he's basically been conned by the league and I can't comprehend how the club isn't either: a) Sticking up for its captain's reputation; or b) Censuring him in the case he's speaking out against the club's position.
Jumbinho
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Hugene

Re: A-League Men 2022/23

Postby Jumbinho Tue Dec 13, 2022 4:10 pm

The silence from the club says plenty. I mean, it's not at all surprising that our owners (whoever tf they actually are) aren't interested in anything other than what can line their pockets, but still dispiriting.

I have a lot of respect for what our admin team have done the last few years (especially working in what I imagine is difficult circumstances with absentee ownership), but very frustrated to see nothing come from them, not least backing up Goody after he got thrown in it by the APL.
EdDog

Postby EdDog Tue Dec 13, 2022 7:19 pm

The silence from the club says plenty. I mean, it's not at all surprising that our owners (whoever tf they actually are) aren't interested in anything other than what can line their pockets, but still dispiriting.

I have a lot of respect for what our admin team have done the last few years (especially working in what I imagine is difficult circumstances with absentee ownership), but very frustrated to see nothing come from them, not least backing up Goody after he got thrown in it by the APL.
+1

Good to see MV CEO resigned from APL.

Conflicting reports that he initially agreed to this deal but then saw the fan backlash and stepped down or simply disagreed with it all along.

Regardless of his original position I think it shows he's listened to the fans and is getting behind us.

Would like to see a statement from AU.
sevengoals
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: all of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Expand the league now!

Postby sevengoals Tue Dec 13, 2022 10:25 pm

The Melbourne Victory chairman, Anthony Di Pietro, has stepped down from his role as a director of the Australian Professional Leagues after the decision to sell off the A-Leagues grand finals to Sydney prompted an overwhelming backlash.
https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... l-with-nsw

B)
" There was, he added, no room for spin, showmanship, hubris or “any of the feelings of invincibility” that so often shackle nations with an imperial past ... " - - -

Pies: 3867

No Roots, No Growth!
EdDog

Postby EdDog Tue Dec 13, 2022 10:36 pm

APL have just doubled down and reaffirmed their stance.

Piet Van der Pol is listed as one of the members, along with everyone but the MVC boss, who ratified it.

What a sad day.

I've only got an "out of town" membership as I live in the UK these days but I've emailed to cancel it. Won't make much of an impact but hopefully sends a message.

Hoping fans unite and whatever teams make the GF this year don't attend en masse.
Interloper

Postby Interloper Tue Dec 13, 2022 11:19 pm

Piet Van der Pol is listed as one of the members, along with everyone but the MVC boss, who ratified it.
They've deleted it and reposted it without the names attached now.
bpowell454
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Adlung

Postby bpowell454 Tue Dec 13, 2022 11:30 pm

Remember everyone, we're just customers not fans.

What a sad turn of events after such a remarkable world cup run for Australia and great timing of the world cup for the A-league. Money has to come from somewhere but surely not at the expense of the integrity of the competition. Scrap the finals, they are tainted forever now.
Stuckey
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Whichever Toure is playing
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Sha la la lala lalaaaa AUFC!

Postby Stuckey Wed Dec 14, 2022 9:21 am

Is the figure $10m? Seems like such a small figure to cast such a big taint on the game.

Maybe this is the game's opportunity to see a fan lead rejection of the finals series. The game needs to celebrate the club who ends the season with the most points more.
Finals rarely bring new people into the game and we now have a knock out comp to enjoy. Do away with finals and extend the season so each club plays everyone 2 twice at home and twice away.
Time to Djbate!
RedRis
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Carrusca

Postby RedRis Wed Dec 14, 2022 1:12 pm

What every Adelaide fan needs to realise is this decision will likely mean a grand final will never be played outside of either Sydney or Melbourne again. The A-leagues will begin to rely on the revenue from selling it. This kills any incentive relating to performance being rewarded as finals approach for teams at the top of the ladder.
Other than Adelaide winning the Grand-final (which now becomes more difficult as it will always be an away game.) Hosting a grand final like we did at Adelaide Oval, is one of my biggest dreams as a fan. Anyone who was there in 2016 will know what I mean. The APL board seem to be completely ignorant of what this means to the fans.
Interloper

Postby Interloper Wed Dec 14, 2022 1:50 pm

Adelaide United statement.

(spoilers: it's bad)
mikeewanuk
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: The new Number 10
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: SHA LA LA

Postby mikeewanuk Wed Dec 14, 2022 2:54 pm

I think Piet van de Pol needs to have a stern word with the APL. How could they use his name (now deleted) on the original declaration of this farce. Time to call the lawyers.
EdDog

Postby EdDog Fri Dec 16, 2022 8:03 am

I think Piet van de Pol needs to have a stern word with the APL. How could they use his name (now deleted) on the original declaration of this farce. Time to call the lawyers.
Sounds like there was an emergency meeting where all clubs got told we can back out but you lose funding and it hurts our relationship with the govt - so essentially blackmailed - and all but one club voted to keep the deal.

That was the meeting before the double-down announcement came out.
otto62
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isaias

Postby otto62 Fri Dec 16, 2022 12:31 pm

I hate this move.

Some clubs desperately need the extra money, including Adelaide, so I can understand them supporting it. I don’t think those owners are “lining their pockets”, just reducing their losses.

It’s such a bad idea, from a sporting integrity perspective, that the AFL clubs (non-Melbourne) have been calling for years to change their GF arrangements.
Old Gregg
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Cassiooooooooooo

Postby Old Gregg Fri Dec 16, 2022 2:18 pm

We need mass fan protest across the league against the APL, and a total boycott of all finals. As far as I'm concerned, so long as they've decided to sell it, the finals series is dead.
All I need is some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine.
EdDog

Postby EdDog Fri Dec 16, 2022 7:12 pm

We need mass fan protest across the league against the APL, and a total boycott of all finals. As far as I'm concerned, so long as they've decided to sell it, the finals series is dead.
+1

Will not be attending if we make it after finishing top, and that would be so heartbreaking as an absolute diehard.

What I would love to see if we were to make a GF in the next 3 years is the club open Hindmarsh and put it on the big screens for all fans to attend, like what AAMI Park did for Socceroos Ro16 game.

A big 'fuck you' to the APL and can probably charge a tenner and sell some food and drink to fundraise.

Return to “A-Leagues”