VAR Shenanigans

Discuss Australia's top-flight football leagues.

Moderator: Moderators Group

EdDog
Proud Adelaide United Supporter

VAR Shenanigans

Postby EdDog Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:36 pm

Thought we could probably move discussion to it’s own thread - it’s certainly warranted.

VAR can adjudicate on the following:

I was originally for the idea as I hoped it would fix clear errors in the game.

However, after the first few rounds, it’s clear the decisions by the VAR are just as dubious as any on-field decision.

Grateful for the trial but it definitely cannot stay in its current form.
sevengoals
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: all of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Expand the league now!

Re: VAR Shenanigans

Postby sevengoals Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:19 am

FC Köln had troubles with it in September.

http://www.espnfc.com/german-bundesliga ... o-dortmund
" There was, he added, no room for spin, showmanship, hubris or “any of the feelings of invincibility” that so often shackle nations with an imperial past ... " - - -

Pies: 3867

No Roots, No Growth!
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:41 pm

So var did not review an offside that lead to a goal in the perth game or a pen in city/ ccm game.

Add to that var reviewing but doing nothing about berisha pushing a ref or williams tackling a player behind play.

Var has just added more uncertainty.
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
The voice in our head is the final judge
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:43 pm

Also what happens if while var is reviewing an incident play goes on and then a player recieves a straight red ( or any card for that matter) then var pulls play back 2 minutes to the incident prior to that red?

Does that player return to the pitch? Is 2 minutes added on to time?
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
sevengoals

Postby sevengoals Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:57 pm

Also what happens if while var is reviewing an incident play goes on and then a player recieves a straight red ( or any card for that matter) then var pulls play back 2 minutes to the incident prior to that red?

A German Ref sent a player off on the weekend with a straight Red in the game between Eintracht Frankfurt and Bayern Münich.
The incident was reviewed by VAR and the Ref upon realising he had made a mistake called the player back, gave him a yellow and the game went on after some delay.
Also there was issues in the game between Borussia Mönchengladbach and Schalke 04.
A goal was disallowed correctly for offside but the VAR kicked in to check the decision leading to delays, uncertainty and frustration among the players from both sides.
The Schalke 04 defender Nando became the first player in the Bundesliga to openly criticize the entire concept.

B)
" There was, he added, no room for spin, showmanship, hubris or “any of the feelings of invincibility” that so often shackle nations with an imperial past ... " - - -

No Roots, No Growth!
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:09 pm

A German Ref sent a player off on the weekend with a straight Red in the game between Eintracht Frankfurt and Bayern Münich.
The incident was reviewed by VAR and the Ref upon realising he had made a mistake called the player back, gave him a yellow and the game went on after some delay.
Also there was issues in the game between Borussia Mönchengladbach and Schalke 04.
A goal was disallowed correctly for offside but the VAR kicked in to check the decision leading to delays, uncertainty and frustration among the players from both sides.
The Schalke 04 defender Nando became the first player in the Bundesliga to openly criticize the entire concept.

B)
But what happens if an incident gets reviewed and play goes on and in that time a player is sent off or carded form a separate incident and var brings play back to the original incident ( the incident before a red/card is given ) ?
EdDog

Re: RE: Re: VAR Shenanigans

Postby EdDog Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:23 pm

B)
But what happens if an incident gets reviewed and play goes on and in that time a player is sent off or carded form a separate incident and var brings play back to the original incident ( the incident before a red/card is given ) ?
I don't know if anyone can answer that yet. I guess we will just have to wait and see. You know, it is a trial after all. We are merely guinea pigs.
sevengoals

Re: RE: Re: VAR Shenanigans

Postby sevengoals Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:39 pm

B)
I don't know if anyone can answer that yet. I guess we will just have to wait and see. You know, it is a trial after all. We are merely guinea pigs.
Too hard for me...

:D

No Roots, No Growth!
Ghost
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Ryan Strain

Postby Ghost Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:17 pm

A attacker gathers the ball and heads for goal. He is offside but a defender does not realise this and lays a red card worthy tackle. The play is brought back to the offside free kick.
Does the defender get a red card?

The ball goes out of play and the throw in goes to Team A. Team B mistakenly take the throw in quickly. A player from Team A then tackles the player from Team B who gathered the throw in with a red card worthy tackle. The play is brought back to the Team A throw in.
Does the player from Team A get a red card?

Both these situations the play where the red card tackle is made is erased from the game like what would happen if VAR overturned a decision where a red card tackle in between. There are of course differences but surely the same principle should be applied.
I am Scott
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:15 pm

If the red card gets erased does the resulting injury also get erased? Lol

Say NO to VAR
Ghost
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Ryan Strain

Postby Ghost Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:42 pm

If the red card gets erased does the resulting injury also get erased? Lol

Say NO to VAR
I think I wrote my last paragraph badly. I have no idea whether the red card is given in the two scenarios I stated. However I think the game continues as though the play after the offside or the wrong throw in never happened.
I am Scott
Interloper

Postby Interloper Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:12 pm

Red cards only get revoked by the VAR if the incident in question is specifically reviewed and not deemed worthy. If the VAR is for an incident before the card, the card still applies.

I don't see why this is controversial as it's what already happens. If a cardable offence happens before or after the ball is in play, the card still applies. In fact I'm 90% certain this was the case with Jason Geria's yellow on Friday where the whistle was blown for a foul, but a few players didn't hear the whistle and kept playing for a few seconds. The yellow card was issued for a tackle in that period despite the foul being for something earlier.
otto62
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isaias

Postby otto62 Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:19 pm

Interloper has it. Red cards stand.
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:03 pm

Another night another VAR fail!

VAR was on smoko break when bobo raked he studs down muscats legs behind play.

Muscat gets a red from VAR for an elbow later in the game.

Hiw did var miss this!? Foxsports saw it which means it was broadcast on the stadium screen.

VAR has actually made officiating worse and wildu inconsistent.
ZANZIBAR
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Owen Goal

Postby ZANZIBAR Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:28 pm

Could not believe when he got away with it but then i rembered valeri doing a wrestling move on isais and not getting in trouble. Big club rules are different to ours.

Return to “A-Leagues”