FFA

Discuss Australia's top-flight football leagues.

Moderator: Moderators Group

sevengoals
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: all of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Expand the league now!

Re: FFA

Postby sevengoals Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:54 pm

A new dawn in Australian football is beckoning after proposed governance reforms were rubber-stamped by Fifa, sounding the death knell for outgoing Football Federation Australia chairman Steven Lowy and his board.

And proponents for radical change are increasingly confident they will get their way at a special general meeting of FFA next month without the need for further intervention from the global body.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2018/ ... wy-led-ffa

B)
" There was, he added, no room for spin, showmanship, hubris or “any of the feelings of invincibility” that so often shackle nations with an imperial past ... " - - -

Pies: 3867

No Roots, No Growth!
sevengoals

Postby sevengoals Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:10 pm

Change is coming to Football Federation Australia, with pro-reform forces claiming victory at the end of a two-year struggle for power over the sport.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2018/ ... r-struggle

B)
" There was, he added, no room for spin, showmanship, hubris or “any of the feelings of invincibility” that so often shackle nations with an imperial past ... " - - -

No Roots, No Growth!
otto62
Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isaias

Postby otto62 Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:27 pm

Let's see how quickly the A-league clubs boost their share of the pie (with the support of the PFA) at the expense of the national teams and grass roots.
The payoff to the states will be an underfunded second division, which will mean no expansion teams straight into the A-league.
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:35 pm

Its going to be interesting if expansion will continue as planned for next season or will they steady the ship.

Hopefully an independent aleague beckons
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
The voice in our head is the final judge
Stuckey
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Whichever Toure is playing
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Sha la la lala lalaaaa AUFC!

Postby Stuckey Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:59 am

Let's see how quickly the A-league clubs boost their share of the pie (with the support of the PFA) at the expense of the national teams and grass roots.
The payoff to the states will be an underfunded second division, which will mean no expansion teams straight into the A-league.
I haven't been following this super closely but it's interesting to hear the vast majority cheering the current management leaving. Personally I would be cautious about change. We want an alternative leadership, but the last alternative we had left the game in ruin. I'm not saying that's the only alternative to the outgoing power base or that change isn't needed. Just that different isn't always better.
Obviously the HAL clubs are going to come in a look after their own interests. Hopefully they can fill some voids the FFA aren't filling ATM. Our national youth sides have been in steady decline for some time. I'd hoped that the removal of the national CoE would allow a shift of funding to more local development (I'm not sure if that's occured) but allowing HAL clubs more power in this aspect seems to be a winner with WSW championing the way. I'd be very surprised if a HAL involved board would be MORE interested in expansion? Although maybe they understand how stale the HAL is and it's need to grow. Hopefully they do and are keen on some expansion and put pro/rel on the back burner. I'd love pro/rel but personally I don't think the game is in desperate need of it and the con's still out way the pro's on that. I can't see an existing HAL club surviving too long after being relegated which helps no one if that occurs and will probably drive a lot of fans away especially if that happens to be a club from Melb or Syd. Build the HAL up to 16-20 clubs then once that is sustainable look at pro/rel. I think the key to building the game is including the big clubs making most of the noise about change.
Time to Djbate!
otto62

Postby otto62 Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:54 pm

I hate being all doom and gloom, I'm usually super positive .... but I can't see any good coming from this.
If they manage to miraculously expand to 16 teams and introduce a second division, and increase the TV money and get crowds growing again ... I'll put up my hand and say how wrong I was.
sevengoals

Postby sevengoals Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:14 pm

Malaka is gone.

Gallop replaced Ben Buckley as chief executive in 2012 ...

Is the FFA secretly, deeply run by AFL agents?

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2019/ ... -executive

B)

No Roots, No Growth!
bpowell454
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Adlung

Re: RE: Re: FFA

Postby bpowell454 Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:13 pm

Malaka is gone.

Gallop replaced Ben Buckley as chief executive in 2012 ...

Is the FFA secretly, deeply run by AFL agents?

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2019/ ... -executive

B)
I think he should go before the season starts instead of December but being on $1.25 mil a year plus bonuses, I can see why he's hanging on.
otto62

Postby otto62 Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:58 pm

And so the destruction of the game I love gathers momentum. The last thing we need (obviously) is someone who knows what they're doing, so get Gallop out the door as fast as we can.

He can see the writing on the wall, that this is all going to turn to sh!t now that the A-league clubs are holding the money and the power.

Segregating the A-league money so that the National teams die, expanding the A-league on a self-interest platform rather than for the national benefit (Sydney & Melbourne get a sh!tload of extra derbies), a second division we can't afford, and now a CEO with restricted (no) power so that he can't stop the clubs from running rampant.
otto62

Postby otto62 Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:36 pm

Not impressed by the new FFA leadership hiding big things from board members. It’s the very culture of lack of transparency which will allow or even encourage clubs to act in their own best interests and justify hiding it from everyone else.
Stuckey

Postby Stuckey Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:25 pm

Not impressed by the new FFA leadership hiding big things from board members. It’s the very culture of lack of transparency which will allow or even encourage clubs to act in their own best interests and justify hiding it from everyone else.
What's this in reference to?
Time to Djbate!
otto62

Postby otto62 Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:30 am

Just a delayed comment on the Riley McGree and others incident being kept from at least two board members leading to their resignations.

Sorry to comment so late on this, but if this had happened under Gallop this forum would have had people posting in outrage. It happens now and ... tumbleweeds.
Stuckey

Postby Stuckey Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:27 am

Just a delayed comment on the Riley McGree and others incident being kept from at least two board members leading to their resignations.

Sorry to comment so late on this, but if this had happened under Gallop this forum would have had people posting in outrage. It happens now and ... tumbleweeds.
I guess people are still making their minds up on whether this board will be the same as the last. Sadly given how most boards are operated. Little will change unless someone unique comes in a creates a culture of change and encourages people below them to drive things. Micro managers like Gallop will always make changes where they put their time in. But will stall progress anywhere they aren't focused on.
Time to Djbate!
sevengoals

Postby sevengoals Thu Nov 28, 2019 7:35 pm

I had a quick look Otto but i can not find anything and I have to rush to the dentist ...
Have you got a link for us?

The only thing I picked up was that our trainer was very happy to have Riley suspended which took me a while to realise what that was all about.

I was starting to wonder how the FFA would react to his joy in having the lad playing for the club rather than going with the national team.

Lack of transparency is worrying regardless who or what is behind it.
We all agree on that.

B)

No Roots, No Growth!
Stuckey

Postby Stuckey Thu Nov 28, 2019 7:40 pm

I had a quick look Otto but i can not find anything and I have to rush to the dentist ...
Have you got a link for us?

The only thing I picked up was that our trainer was very happy to have Riley suspended which took me a while to realise what that was all about.

I was starting to wonder how the FFA would react to his joy in having the lad playing for the club rather than going with the national team.

Lack of transparency is worrying regardless who or what is behind it.
We all agree on that.

B)
Yeah I really question the value of taking kids out of their club environment when they are holding a starting spot. To play friendlies for the national youth side. Sure take kids playing reserves and NYL. But is playing these current games in China a higher standard of football than HAL?
Time to Djbate!

Return to “A-Leagues”