FFA

Discuss Australia's top-flight football leagues.

Moderator: Moderators Group

sevengoals
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: all of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Expand the league now!

Re: FFA

Postby sevengoals Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:29 am

Seek and ye shall find ...

I'm sure there is more out there.

Football Federation Australia has defended the decision not to report the Olyroos’ sex scandal in Cambodia to the board until the investigation commenced, saying it was “proper process”.
https://www.news.com.au/sport/football/ ... e888f1c7f8

"proper process", the catch all phrase.
As much as things change somethings don't change ...

Slater is really pissed at the FFA. ( Again)
Speaking on the Big Sports Breakfast this morning, Slater said it was an “absolute disgrace” the four players had received such harsh penalties.

“I want to know, and the whole football fraternity should want to know, who has made this disgraceful decision to ban the players effectively for the Olympic Games if they qualify,” Slater said.

“I want to know who made this decision — apparently an independent committee. Why the hell you would need an independent committee for a start to investigate (is beyond me).

https://www.news.com.au/sport/football/ ... 38c42c2ecb

I suppose the reason I gave the whole process no real thought was probably due to our Great Leader's reaction to the suspension.
As you know he loved it!

B)
" There was, he added, no room for spin, showmanship, hubris or “any of the feelings of invincibility” that so often shackle nations with an imperial past ... " - - -

Pies: 3867

No Roots, No Growth!
blahblah
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: the kit bag guy
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Bound for South Australia

Postby blahblah Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:30 pm

What Mr Slater fails to realise is that the players who don't go to the Olympics (should we qualify) will be replaced by other Australians who would otherwise have missed the chance of a lifetime.

I can't comment on the punishment vs the crime aspects, as I don't know the level of evidence provided (nor does the outraged pundit), however believe a decision has been made by the FFA and it is time to move on and let those who are subject to the ban learn from it and progress.
otto62
Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isaias

Postby otto62 Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:09 am

Reading all these very balanced responses, from very balanced posters, I agre with most of what’s been said. But where now are all the angry outraged posters who were demanding change and complaining about the board and calling for heads to roll? Why aren’t they equally outraged now over this? Why aren’t there multiple posts saying it’s hopeless and the people in charge need to go? Rhetorical question, no answer required.
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:24 am

I think your combining two very different issues here Otto.

My feeling ( though i have no proof ) is we are going down a path in this game of being too politically correct and concerned that someone may take issue with something.. anything at all.

We saw this with Alan Stajics sacking at with matildas, most of his players were utterly shocked he had been sacked. Rumours circulated of a so called toxic culture where players where "body shamed". To me these kind of reports are alarming if we have come to a place in time where professional athletes are above being ridiculed by their managers if they are unfit.. however we will never know what really happened because its been well and truly swept under the rug despite stajic seemingly wanting to publicly give his version and his family and personal character being dragged through the mud.

Now we have the Olyroos debacle. Players broke curfew, absolutely a bad decision to do what has been reported inviting woman back to the team hotel, however I don't feel it should have been made public and should have been dealt with in house. There are no allegations of any kind of assault.

HOWEVER, had there been any kind of assault occur, then absolutely turn them in, name and shame.

The problem with FFA's current policy to coming public with in-house issues but giving very little details is it tarnishes the reputations of those involved unjustly. Suppose one of the Matildas broke curfew and met someone from a dating app would it even be made public? My feeling is no, in trying to maintain a squeeky clean image we are at risk of throwing the baby out with the bath water by bending the knee to over the top correctness, shaming grown adults in a way that suggests they are some kind of predators without any way they can defend themselves in the public domain.

Please don't get me wrong, if anyone does anything of that nature absolutely give them the harshest punishment possible and cooperate with all authorities.
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
The voice in our head is the final judge
otto62

Postby otto62 Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:44 pm

The players incident - I actually agree with FFA not making the details public, but everyone on the FFA board should have been briefed immediately, on the basis that it was to be kept confidential.

The FFA leadership - If Gallop or Buckley had kept this incident from the board members and the public, this forum would have been riddled with posts about how the FFA are self-serving, that the CEO should go, that the game was being run by people to suit that own agenda, that it was all a power play, that it was completely wrong and indefensible, that they weren't making decisions that were in the best interests of the game.
Where are those posters now? Why aren't they making those sort of statements about the new board, the new CEO? The examples of media coverage that someone posted above are fine, but I'm talking about the posters on this board who were so outspoken about how the previous board was ruining the game. Hypocrites.
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:21 pm

People took issue with gallop and buckley for very different reasons than this, im not sure its comparable at all.

I will say buckley copped a raw end from the media, however I still dont look back on his tenure fondly
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
The voice in our head is the final judge
EdDog

Postby EdDog Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:36 am

Word is that Hyundai will not be sponsors next season.

This would be a massive blow for the league. We've had Caltex walk away from the Socceroos, ratings diving, attendances diving. Lots of work to do before the tv deal expires in 2023.

I am genuinely worried for the longevity of our league.
otto62

Postby otto62 Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:13 pm

We ditch the competent business people who were running the game, and put the self-serving big clubs in charge of the whole thing. We shouldn't be surprised that the corporates are concerned enough to be jumping ship.
Old Gregg
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Cassiooooooooooo

Postby Old Gregg Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:47 am

true to a degree, but signs of trouble for the league have been brewing for much longer than that. What if we had a league that was not run by corporate suits or by a small cabal of franchise owners but was supported by a genuine pyramid of grassroots clubs? a guy can dream...
All I need is some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine.

Return to “A-Leagues”