FFA

Discuss Australia's top-flight football leagues.

Moderator: Moderators Group

sevengoals
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: all of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Expand the league now!

Re: RE: Re: FFA

Postby sevengoals Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:24 am

If FIFA intervene and give the A-league clubs control (which they would use for their individual benefit rather than to benefit the A-league or the national teams or the grass roots), within 5 years I expect to see: problems with the national teams; problems with the PFA; problems with the broadcast rights; reduced funding to grass roots; reduced crowds; and multiple clubs going into administration.

Call me pessimistic, that's just how I see it.
I thought the idea was to give all the parties involved in Australian football a fair and even say in the running / future development of the game in Australia.
But any we cut it it's not good for the game because once again we are divided.

Sent from my SM-T230 using Tapatalk

" There was, he added, no room for spin, showmanship, hubris or “any of the feelings of invincibility” that so often shackle nations with an imperial past ... " - - -

Pies: 3867

No Roots, No Growth!
EdDog
Proud Adelaide United Supporter

Postby EdDog Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:02 am

If FIFA intervene and give the A-league clubs control (which they would use for their individual benefit rather than to benefit the A-league or the national teams or the grass roots), within 5 years I expect to see: problems with the national teams; problems with the PFA; problems with the broadcast rights; reduced funding to grass roots; reduced crowds; and multiple clubs going into administration.

Call me pessimistic, that's just how I see it.
I feel like that is already happening to a large extent.
Stuckey
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Whichever Toure is playing
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Sha la la lala lalaaaa AUFC!

Re: FFA

Postby Stuckey Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:42 am

Yeah its a tough one personally I can see why the FFA wants to keep control. Either to maintain control over revenue, or to save clubs from themselves which is one of many reasons why the NSL died (which is the good intended restriction of power).
When the FFA came in originally it was a breath of fresh air and the idea was that the future security of the game was assured. But TBH the FFA has been in power since 2004. If they haven't been able to put things in place to safe guard the game against mis-management without relinquishing some power then are they really managing the game that well? They have control of the game at every level surely they are in a perfect position to put safe guards in place if the well being of the game is their priority. So this truly highlights that the well being of the game isn't their top priority and controlling it's revenue probably is.
Time to Djbate!
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:07 pm

Imo comparisons to the NSL are so short sighted and one eyed.

The NSL was semi professional! Players and staff had day jobs and someones cousin probably did the taxes as a favour on weekends. No doubt there was mismanagement and other issues. But this was semi pro for god sake.

FFA have had the benifit of 3 consecutive world cups, a home asian cup win, big corporate sponsors and a mamoth tv deal in comparison to the NSL.

When you look at it that way there is just no way we can say the FFA have moved the game forward since season 1 , the game has flatlined and survived despite the ffa not because of it.

All we have is a luke warm happy meal resembling a football league, surely its time to let all stakeholders have a greater say and let the game grow organically as it does in almost every other country in the world.
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
The voice in our head is the final judge
sevengoals

Postby sevengoals Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:12 pm

And the nepotism.

" There was, he added, no room for spin, showmanship, hubris or “any of the feelings of invincibility” that so often shackle nations with an imperial past ... " - - -

No Roots, No Growth!
otto62
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isaias

Postby otto62 Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:12 am

Imo comparisons to the NSL are so short sighted and one eyed.

The NSL was semi professional! Players and staff had day jobs and someones cousin probably did the taxes as a favour on weekends. No doubt there was mismanagement and other issues. But this was semi pro for god sake.

FFA have had the benifit of 3 consecutive world cups, a home asian cup win, big corporate sponsors and a mamoth tv deal in comparison to the NSL.

When you look at it that way there is just no way we can say the FFA have moved the game forward since season 1 , the game has flatlined and survived despite the ffa not because of it.

All we have is a luke warm happy meal resembling a football league, surely its time to let all stakeholders have a greater say and let the game grow organically as it does in almost every other country in the world.
I think the FFA has grown the game considerably since season 1 (with an occasional two steps forward, one step back). Clubs now get basically the full salary cap paid by the league. Clubs are attractive enough to get international interest in club ownership. Minimum and average player payments have risen to a level where a player can earn a living or a good living from the game in Australia. The overall playing standard has risen just about year on year.

I like the idea of increasing representation from various bodies, I just want to see the FFA still not controlled by the clubs. In fact the FFA offered a slight increase in representation while keeping control out of the hands of the A-league clubs. That looked good to me.
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:44 am

No one is asking ffa to be controlled by the clubs.

The expectation from fifa and the wider football public is that FFA get on with the administration of the game and leave the aleague to an independant body to run the league and consult with clubs.

Clubs are merely asking for greater power to manage their investments, after all its the clubs who actually have skin in the game not the FFA. When i say clubs im also refering to NPL clubs
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
The voice in our head is the final judge
Old Gregg
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Cassiooooooooooo

Postby Old Gregg Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:22 pm

I feel like when the A-League began, we were sold this idea that it would be a 'clean slate' for football, that the FFA would have a tight reign over things in the first few years to stabilise the brand new league, but then powers would be increasingly divested to the clubs and the league would be opened up far more.
Am I remembering things right or did I make this up?

I recognise that we are only a franchise whose existence depends on the whims of league governance ... it would just be nice to be able to see a different future :?
All I need is some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine.
sevengoals

Postby sevengoals Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:57 pm

I feel like when the A-League began, we were sold this idea that it would be a 'clean slate' for football, that the FFA would have a tight reign over things in the first few years to stabilise the brand new league, but then powers would be increasingly divested to the clubs and the league would be opened up far more.
Am I remembering things right or did I make this up?

I recognise that we are only a franchise whose existence depends on the whims of league governance ... it would just be nice to be able to see a different future :?
That sounds right to me.

No Roots, No Growth!
otto62

Postby otto62 Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:29 pm

Sorry for any mis-statement. Yes, I believe FFA still need to maintain control over the A-league. However, I agree there needs to be a transition strategy. Maybe a 5 year plan? Small expansion of additional votes now, with a plan set in stone now to transition control in 2023.
sevengoals

Postby sevengoals Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:21 pm

The Fifa-backed panel tasked with fixing Australian football’s governance crisis has rejected concerns from Football Federation Australia’s board about their proposals.

The congress review working group (CRWG) released a statement on Tuesday, defending the report they have submitted to Fifa and dismissing each of the six criticisms aired by FFA last week.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2018/ ... ress-group

B)

No Roots, No Growth!
otto62

Postby otto62 Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:06 pm

The Fifa-backed panel tasked with fixing Australian football’s governance crisis has rejected concerns from Football Federation Australia’s board about their proposals.

The congress review working group (CRWG) released a statement on Tuesday, defending the report they have submitted to Fifa and dismissing each of the six criticisms aired by FFA last week.
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2018/ ... ress-group

B)
Not exactly a surprise, that the group who proposed changing the system (so that the A-league clubs would gain control of the A-league), have confirmed their original proposal was a good one.

Nothing has changed. It all hinges on whether the FFA can convince FIFA to back them retaining control of the A-league instead.
sevengoals

Postby sevengoals Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:55 am

Football Federation Australia’s chairman, Steven Lowy, has sensationally announced he will not seek re-election, potentially ending his family’s more than 50-year association with football in Australia.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2018/ ... lowy-quits

B)

No Roots, No Growth!
otto62

Postby otto62 Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:29 am

Football Federation Australia’s chairman, Steven Lowy, has sensationally announced he will not seek re-election, potentially ending his family’s more than 50-year association with football in Australia.

B)
A sad day for football in this country. I fear that it's the start of a slide into the game being once again controlled by people who will prioritise individual club interests and ambitions ahead of the good of the game.
sevengoals

Postby sevengoals Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:46 pm

B)
A sad day for football in this country. I fear that it's the start of a slide into the game being once again controlled by people who will prioritise individual club interests and ambitions ahead of the good of the game.

Only time will tell Otto62.

B)

No Roots, No Growth!

Return to “A-Leagues”