W-League

Discuss Australia's top-flight football leagues.

Moderator: Moderators Group

Stuckey
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Whichever Toure is playing
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Sha la la lala lalaaaa AUFC!

W-League

Postby Stuckey Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:03 am

Goal for 60 Australian female players to be on minimum $60,000 contracts by start of 2017-18 season
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/footb ... 14e03051c1

Wonderful news. Here's hoping it can go thru.
It would be great if every player in the league could be a full-time pro. I think the league's quality would jump up significantly if that was possible.
Time to Djbate!
shinAUFC

Re: W-League

Postby shinAUFC Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:21 am

Goal for 60 Australian female players to be on minimum $60,000 contracts by start of 2017-18 season

It would be great if every player in the league could be a full-time pro. I think the league's quality would jump up significantly if that was possible.
Thats fantastic.

however i am so sick of hearing womens football wages compared to the mens.

I would imagine crowds for w-league would be less than the average sa npl game with w league clubs needing to pay for flights, meals and hotels for their players ontop of wages. Ofcourse this is leveraged by the small tv deal with the abc.

So are w league players really underpaid for the revenue they bring in at club level and the quality they bring when compared to the sa npl players ? Sa npl players could have an argument for feeling hard done by for not having 60 players at 60k a season.

Dont get me wring, i am totally for fair pay but i wish salaries would be compared like for like, ive taken a simplistic approach to looking at wages yet more in depth than the average person shouting "equality" without actually thinking what that means.
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
The voice in our head is the final judge
Stuckey
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Whichever Toure is playing
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Sha la la lala lalaaaa AUFC!

Postby Stuckey Fri Sep 23, 2016 1:40 pm

Thats fantastic.

however i am so sick of hearing womens football wages compared to the mens.

I would imagine crowds for w-league would be less than the average sa npl game with w league clubs needing to pay for flights, meals and hotels for their players ontop of wages. Ofcourse this is leveraged by the small tv deal with the abc.

So are w league players really underpaid for the revenue they bring in at club level and the quality they bring when compared to the sa npl players ? Sa npl players could have an argument for feeling hard done by for not having 60 players at 60k a season.

Dont get me wring, i am totally for fair pay but i wish salaries would be compared like for like, ive taken a simplistic approach to looking at wages yet more in depth than the average person shouting "equality" without actually thinking what that means.
Yeah I totally get what you're saying.
For me I feel pay equality needs to be focused on entry level salaries. IMO they should be the same in any job. Everyone who begins their employment anywhere deserves to be paid the same. Once that person progresses thru the ranks then payment on top of the base salary can be judged on things like experience, performance and sustainability.
So I'd love to see every player at the HAL or WL level being paid the same on their first professional contract. That way they are all able to be full time professionals and focus all their time on being the best they can be. If there is then money to pay men or women more than the base salary then that is up to the clubs they play for.
Time to Djbate!
ZANZIBAR
Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Owen Goal

Postby ZANZIBAR Sun Sep 25, 2016 10:44 am

This is no doubt a push due to womens afl comp coming in. Keep the women focused on the round ball.
Glad to see lady reds will curtain raise the game up here in brissy. Double header! Happy days.
ZANZIBAR
Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Owen Goal

Postby ZANZIBAR Sun Nov 06, 2016 1:18 pm

3105 people watched the w league opener! huge considering it was a standalone game, not opening for an a league game.

Return to “A-Leagues”