Melbourne City

Discuss Australia's top-flight football leagues.

Moderator: Moderators Group

Stuckey
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Whichever Toure is playing
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Sha la la lala lalaaaa AUFC!

Melbourne City

Postby Stuckey Sun Jul 03, 2016 9:55 am

MELBOURNE City maintains it is not about to completely ditch its red and white Melbourne Heart roots.

But a long-anticipated switch to an all “City Blue” kit — akin to that worn by parent club Manchester City — appears inevitable for season 2017-18.
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/footb ... d26b4cb397

I find it funny that visa quotas and player payment decisions that have massive influence on club's structure are worked out only months before they are implemented. But something as trivial as what colour a club is wearing needs years of planning and negotiations.
Time to Djbate!
blahblah
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: the kit bag guy
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Bound for South Australia

Re: Melbourne City

Postby blahblah Mon Jul 04, 2016 8:45 pm

Sydney were being terribly precious regarding their attempts own a colour. I'm glad City are in the colour of their choosing and hopefully we can put the notion of "one team, one colour" to bed.
Stuckey

Postby Stuckey Tue Jul 05, 2016 7:40 am

Sydney were being terribly precious regarding their attempts own a colour. I'm glad City are in the colour of their choosing and hopefully we can put the notion of "one team, one colour" to bed.
Plus I really can't see the FFA stopping a new club from playing in red if they wanted.
Time to Djbate!
Stuckey

Postby Stuckey Thu Aug 11, 2016 8:48 am

So Timmy has signed for City. The saga is over we can all move on with out lives!

I still can't believe they are paying a 38 year old $2m a year.
Time to Djbate!
EdDog
Proud Adelaide United Supporter

Postby EdDog Thu Aug 11, 2016 8:54 am

I'm interested to see how he goes but not even the slightest bit concerned about playing against him.

Will probably get the run of the green by the refs though.

Will look forward to seeing him at Hindmarsh. We only play them once here so hopefully he comes across.
Stuckey

Postby Stuckey Thu Aug 11, 2016 8:55 am

I think the thing I'm dreading about this signing is that the FFA are funding part of it. So we're going to have nothing but Saint Timmy in the media and the FFA will certainly "protect" their investment.
Just another drop in the credibility of the HAL IMO.
Time to Djbate!
Stuckey

Postby Stuckey Thu Aug 11, 2016 8:57 am

I'm interested to see how he goes but not even the slightest bit concerned about playing against him.

Will probably get the run of the green by the refs though.

Will look forward to seeing him at Hindmarsh. We only play them once here so hopefully he comes across.
Hopefully he pulls the crowds. If he sells out Hindmarsh (I doubt he will but there will be a boost in crowds) then I'll be satisfied he was worth it.
Time to Djbate!
EdDog

Postby EdDog Thu Aug 11, 2016 8:58 am

I think the thing I'm dreading about this signing is that the FFA are funding part of it. So we're going to have nothing but Saint Timmy in the media and the FFA will certainly "protect" their investment.
Pros and cons always.

I'm glad it will raise the profile of the league in a year when we are renegotiating the TV deal.
Stuckey

Postby Stuckey Thu Aug 11, 2016 9:05 am

Pros and cons always.

I'm glad it will raise the profile of the league in a year when we are renegotiating the TV deal.
Of course everything hinges on the TV deal.

As I've said I'd just rather see the FFA use high profile players like to Timmy to either provide a foundation for new clubs.

One thing I'd love to see is over the course of this season look at something like the HAL twitter account and see how much air time Timmy gets compared to AU.
Time to Djbate!
View From The Top
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Tarek Elrich

Postby View From The Top Thu Aug 11, 2016 10:17 am

Absolutely disgusting that the FFA is helping out the only club in the A-League that has the financial might of the City Group behind it.

Meanwhile Central Coast, Newcastle and AU have to struggle by on peanuts.

If I was an owner I'd be handing in my license and walking away. So just as well I'm not!
Adelaide United:
Winners First A-League Match
Inaugural A-League Premiers
Inaugural FFA Cup Winners
A-League Premiers and Champions 2015-16
blahblah
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: the kit bag guy
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Bound for South Australia

Postby blahblah Thu Aug 11, 2016 10:23 am

I would imagine that we'll have a decent crowd when City rock up to Coopers.

Our challenge, as it has always been, is to defeat such sides using our own business model. It makes our victories all the sweeter :) .
Stuckey

Postby Stuckey Thu Aug 11, 2016 10:26 am

Absolutely disgusting that the FFA is helping out the only club in the A-League that has the financial might of the City Group behind it.

If I was an owner I'd be handing in my license and walking away. So just as well I'm not!
I guess they could argue that the smaller clubs will also benefit from this with a boost in crowds for their home games when Timmy comes.
Hopefully we see a ADP effect where all the other clubs benefit from his hype coming to town. But he brings bugger all to the side he plays for.
Although I'm skeptical that Timmy will lure as much of a boost to attendances as ADP did.
IMO the key to a player boosting attendances is luring the Euro-snobs along. Timmy won't do that.
He'll probably lure kids along who love Timmy from the Socceroos games.
Time to Djbate!
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Thu Aug 11, 2016 11:39 am

Totally agree.

Will timmy be protected by the refs in the same way adp was?

It rips a huge hole in the leagues integrity given tim cahill is ffa's investment. For ffa to get return on their investment they need him to score and city to go deep into the finals.

there are far too many conflicts of interest here. It will probably attracts the thrill seekers but the shine will wear off after a few months and they wont be back. Only to shun football fants who want a strong domestic league that is growing organically.

Edit/
7 million for a 2 season deal!!! Seriously wtf! I really want to know how much ffa chipped in. That is an insane amount for someone turning 37 in december on top of having 2 other marquees.

Robbie keane is on US$3.5 million but scores for absolute fun
Pirlo is on US$5 million.

Cahill is not a 3.5million a season player, how marketable will he be when he struggles to score and starts blaming the ref.
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
The voice in our head is the final judge
Futbol_Crazy21
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isaias
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: all of them

Postby Futbol_Crazy21 Thu Aug 11, 2016 2:42 pm

Does anyone know if that $7 mil is guaranteed? Or are there some performance/ticketing/merchandise sales clauses in there that make up that figure?
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Thu Aug 11, 2016 3:20 pm

Does anyone know if that $7 mil is guaranteed? Or are there some performance/ticketing/merchandise sales clauses in there that make up that figure?
im also curious if thats including ffa's contribution and 3rd party sponsorships.

The other thing i dont understand is how can city sign him for 2 years when he was signed under a 1 year guest player rule?

Given that there is supposedly strict criteria in the guest players marketability for them to be approved , how can ffa be sure cahil will meet requirments next season if he cannot score this season ?
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
The voice in our head is the final judge

Return to “A-Leagues”