Newcastle

Discuss Australia's top-flight football leagues.

Moderator: Moderators Group

shinAUFC
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter

Re: Newcastle

Postby shinAUFC Mon May 09, 2016 3:02 pm

the talent pool is just fine. Guys like devante clut and stefan mauk struggled for game time. Look what regular football did for mauk.

there are so many talented players sitting on the bench or worse in the npl working fulltime jobs.
The talent is not spread equally, it never is, so your argument makes zero sense. The new teams are more likely to be like CCM, full of players not up to standard, than anything else.
Who said all clubs will have identical talent?

The point is there is so many talented players who need solid minutes to reach their full potential and they just are not doing that.

Leckie mentioned he was looking for a trade when aufc came calling for an injury replacement. Goodwin and Jeggo very nearly slipped through the cracks at their respective clubs and are now overseas.

The more emerging talent we can have consistently performing in the aleague the better it is for everyone.
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
The voice in our head is the final judge
Ghost
Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Ryan Strain

Postby Ghost Mon May 09, 2016 3:16 pm

the talent pool is just fine. Guys like devante clut and stefan mauk struggled for game time. Look what regular football did for mauk.

there are so many talented players sitting on the bench or worse in the npl working fulltime jobs.
Not to mention all the players abroad. Just look at the (on paper) quality Perth have lured home in the last 6 months.
Perth have lured Perth players home.
Here is the list of players in and out of the league since the end of last season.
Out:
Ramsey, Juric, Rukavytsya, Bulut, Duncan, Sarota, Ibini, Milligan, Burns, Spiranovic, Mabil, Antonis, Da Silva, Bratten, Golec, Thwaite, Williams, Jeggo, Gersbach, Paartalu, Goodwin

In:
Austin, Tyson, Mells, Zullo, Babalj, Ascroft, Mullen, Bozanic, Richardson, Gallifuoco, Ugarkovic, Taggart, Lowry, Wilkinson, Oar, Williams, Herd

Apologies for any omissions.

So there is a net loss of players overseas in numbers and I would suggest the gulf in talent is much wider than than the raw numbers. Why haven't the current teams brought more back if it was possible?

Instead they have recycled players or signed players from lower levels.
I am Scott
Ghost

Postby Ghost Mon May 09, 2016 3:23 pm

The talent is not spread equally, it never is, so your argument makes zero sense. The new teams are more likely to be like CCM, full of players not up to standard, than anything else.
Who said all clubs will have identical talent?

The point is there is so many talented players who need solid minutes to reach their full potential and they just are not doing that.

Leckie mentioned he was looking for a trade when aufc came calling for an injury replacement. Goodwin and Jeggo very nearly slipped through the cracks at their respective clubs and are now overseas.

The more emerging talent we can have consistently performing in the aleague the better it is for everyone.
You seemed to be saying that new clubs could sign players that are sitting on the benches of other teams. If that was not the case then sorry I misunderstood you.
My point is no matter how many teams there are there will always be a number of players good enough to start sitting on benches.
There also will always be players playing at the lower levels who are good enough to play A-league. The whole system would fall apart if there was not because it would mean the gap between the NPL and the A-league would be massive.
As a side point it would also make the implementation of promotion/relegation impossible in a meaningful way. The top NPL teams need to be not that much weaker than the weakest A-league teams and that means they have players who are good enough to play A-league.
I am Scott
Ghost

Postby Ghost Mon May 09, 2016 3:26 pm

How do you know this hypothetical club won't be financially strong?
I am not sure what financial strength has to do with what I posted.
I am Scott
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Mon May 09, 2016 3:30 pm

The point is more clubs equal more opportunity for ambitous managers and players who want to take their chances as professionals.

The more clubs we have the less players fall through the cracks and end up tradies.

some guys are just late bloomers, without more opportunity for professional players the more likely we are to miss out on the next tim cahill who was a late bloomer himself.
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
The voice in our head is the final judge
Futbol_Crazy21
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isaias
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: all of them

Postby Futbol_Crazy21 Mon May 09, 2016 3:38 pm

CCM's financial constraints are why they are in the position they are on the field. CCM target youth and local league players more because they are cheaper. Essentially lowering their quality. They have to do this because they need to tighten the belt financially.

A club thats well off or near well off, doesn't need to make such concessions when signing players.

Plus, more clubs for the new TV deal, more money. More money, then the clubs are better off financially, possibly to sign or develop better players.
Ghost

Postby Ghost Mon May 09, 2016 4:34 pm

CCM's financial constraints are why they are in the position they are on the field. CCM target youth and local league players more because they are cheaper. Essentially lowering their quality. They have to do this because they need to tighten the belt financially.

A club thats well off or near well off, doesn't need to make such concessions when signing players.

Plus, more clubs for the new TV deal, more money. More money, then the clubs are better off financially, possibly to sign or develop better players.

CCM still have to meet the minimum wages. However it will not necessarily be lack of money that limits the playing squad but the availability of players. I was comparing the quality of the squad not saying the reasons would be the same.
I am Scott
blahblah
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: the kit bag guy
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Bound for South Australia

Postby blahblah Mon May 09, 2016 5:05 pm

Apart from the marquees the main differences I see in this league that are financially driven are:
(i) Scouting resources to source quality youth and good value overseas talent
(ii) Medical & training facilities to keep your first XI on the park for as much of the season as possible

Part of Adelaide's success is circumventing problem #1 by employing coaching staff with substantial established networks in value markets and #2 by investing in Playford.
Stuckey
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Whichever Toure is playing
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Sha la la lala lalaaaa AUFC!

Postby Stuckey Tue May 10, 2016 8:35 am

Apart from the marquees the main differences I see in this league that are financially driven are:
(i) Scouting resources to source quality youth and good value overseas talent
(ii) Medical & training facilities to keep your first XI on the park for as much of the season as possible

Part of Adelaide's success is circumventing problem #1 by employing coaching staff with substantial established networks in value markets and #2 by investing in Playford.
Exactly. Compare what AU had before Playford to somewhere like Melb City has.
Their excellent training facilities will obviously be a lure to professional players wanting to ensure they have as much game time as possible.
So in a league as close as the HAL having the resources to provide these things will ensure clubs have stronger squads on paper.
Time to Djbate!
Ghost

Postby Ghost Tue May 10, 2016 10:09 pm

Given the amount of sense that has been posted in this thread I might have to reconsider my position. The arguments for expansion are strong.
I am Scott
Stuckey

Postby Stuckey Wed May 11, 2016 8:26 am

Given the amount of sense that has been posted in this thread I might have to reconsider my position. The arguments for expansion are strong.
I appreciate that mate.
Time to Djbate!
Stuckey

Postby Stuckey Tue May 31, 2016 10:27 am

Wonderful news.
Time to Djbate!
blahblah
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: the kit bag guy
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Bound for South Australia

Postby blahblah Tue May 31, 2016 12:30 pm

Wonderful news.
Fingers crossed
Stuckey

Postby Stuckey Tue Jun 14, 2016 4:52 pm

Newcastle Jets has today welcomed Football Federation Australia’s (FFA) announcement that it has completed a 100 per cent sale of the club to Ledman Group (Ledman), a leading high-tech LED signage manufacturer, operator and integrated sports business headquartered in Shenzhen, China.
See more at: http://www.newcastlejets.com.au/article ... ccMHY.dpuf

Wonderful news. I hope this turns out better than the Bakries.
Time to Djbate!
Geogeo
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Carussca
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: We hate you because your victorian.

Postby Geogeo Wed Jun 15, 2016 2:25 pm

Talk is that they'll have a new owner by the end of the financial year.
Great news. Hopefully then the FFA can finally put the resources they've been spending on owning a club into expansion.
On the Daily Football Show last week, they said it could happen the next day, that hasn't happened, but I assume it could all be resolved within this week. Its in the final stages, its just the FFA are trying to get another million out of the sale. The sale will go to a Chinese buyer called Martin Lee/Ledman Group. There have been several bidders for the Jets, so I'm hoping that this process that eventually picked Mr Lee will be good for the Jets.

Also, apparently Lawrie McKinna will be appointed as their new CEO.
Spot on!

Return to “A-Leagues”