Newcastle

Discuss Australia's top-flight football leagues.

Moderator: Moderators Group

Stuckey
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Whichever Toure is playing
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Sha la la lala lalaaaa AUFC!

Re: Newcastle

Postby Stuckey Mon Oct 10, 2016 4:12 pm

Don't get me wrong, it's good for such a small city but Newcastle used to get better crowds.
I think the change of their pricing structure has changed that. Tinkler set ticket and membership prices very low. Which is why Newy's memberships have been so good in seasons gone. It would be nice to see other club's try this especially clubs who struggle to get a decent amount of their stadiums used.

I know this isn't going to be an exact model but look at Brisbane.
Last season they got 5,347 members for this example lets just say they all bought they Orange membership for $265. That means the club made $1,416,955 from memberships.
If they tried to get a better crowd at home games say 40,000. Why not reduce memberships so the same amount of money is being made by the club?
$1,416,955 divide 40,000 members equals $35 season tickets.
Obviously its not as simple as that but why doesn't a club with bugger all people attending reduce their memberships like Newy did if it grows crowds? $265 is a lot of money to sit in a stadium that has 2 empty seats for every used one.
Time to Djbate!
Old Gregg
Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Cassiooooooooooo

Postby Old Gregg Mon Oct 10, 2016 4:54 pm

Very true.
Brisbane's setup just doesn't favour memberships without a significant price drop I don't think. They are in a huge stadium where there is no possibility of ever missing a seat; plus there is no such thing as unallocated GA seating, so you buy a membership and chances are you're stuck in front of the same bunch of idiots every match all year.
All I need is some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine.
Stuckey
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Whichever Toure is playing
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Sha la la lala lalaaaa AUFC!

Postby Stuckey Tue Oct 11, 2016 12:32 pm

Very true.
Brisbane's setup just doesn't favour memberships without a significant price drop I don't think. They are in a huge stadium where there is no possibility of ever missing a seat; plus there is no such thing as unallocated GA seating, so you buy a membership and chances are you're stuck in front of the same bunch of idiots every match all year.
Those allocated memberships are surely designed by someone who hasn't bought a membership in their lives.
Although I doubt Brisbane fans would stick to one seat all season.
Time to Djbate!

Return to “A-Leagues”