Western Sydney Wanderers

Discuss Australia's top-flight football leagues.

Moderator: Moderators Group

Stuckey
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Whichever Toure is playing
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Sha la la lala lalaaaa AUFC!

Re: Western Sydney Wanderers

Postby Stuckey Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:43 pm

Western Sydney Wanderers today announced that the Club will play out of ANZ Stadium and Spotless Stadium from the 2016/17 season.
Read more at http://www.a-league.com.au/article/west ... vjPZu4S.99

It'll be interesting to see how the fans respond to playing at Spotless. Obviously it should only be for one season so hopefully fans are ok with it.
Looking forward to see what sort of crowd they can pull for the Sydney Derby!
How many rugby league stadiums are in sydneys west?

Genuine question, would have thought they might have stadiums bidding for their tanancy over summer. Spotless stadium would surely be the fans last choice
Penrith Stadium holds roughly the same and is a rugby ground. Although is miles from Parramatta. I guess the theory might be keep all the games together at Olympic park?
My mistake also WSW won't be at Olympic park for one season. It will take 3 year to complete Parramatta stadium apparently. Which seems quite a long time but I'm no builder.
Time to Djbate!
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:54 pm

I would imagine wsw will be scheduled to play the majority of their home games in the first 2/3s of the season to avoid playing on a busted up pitch however 20/20 is also played there in summer ...not ideal for their spanish revolution.

On the bright side according to wiki wsw could break the all time attendance record for the stadium given its only 21k
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sydney_ ... nd_Stadium
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
The voice in our head is the final judge
Interloper
Proud Adelaide United Supporter

Postby Interloper Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:38 pm

They'll have to schedule around the Sydney Royal Easter Show first and foremost in the latter half of the season, which is a much bigger impediment than cricket pitches.

The stadium itself would be ok if they can wrangle the placement of the pitch properly. Wedging it in at the southern end would make sense given the stadium's origins as a baseball stadium, though that would leave the cheap seats a long way away.

It'll be interesting to see the reaction given the invective thrown at the GWS Giants for playing at the very stadium.
Stuckey

Postby Stuckey Fri Apr 08, 2016 8:01 am

Its going to be such a massive change for WSW. Seems silly they haven't had a test game there to give fans the opportunity to see what is going to be like.
Time to Djbate!
blahblah
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: the kit bag guy
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Bound for South Australia

Postby blahblah Sat Apr 09, 2016 10:55 am

It'll be interesting to see the reaction given the invective thrown at the GWS Giants for playing at the very stadium.
I suspect it will be muted by the fact that it is a temporary arrangement whilst waiting for the big prize. That said there will always be a vocal idiot out there.
Reds
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Booooooogard

Postby Reds Wed May 04, 2016 6:50 pm

So given the flares and evictions from the gf on Sunday, will the FFA follow through and deduct 3pts next season? Been away with work since Monday so not sure if anything has been said??
Old Gregg
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Cassiooooooooooo

Postby Old Gregg Wed May 04, 2016 6:56 pm

I think the official response has been to studiously ignore any flare or flare-like device at the Grand Final and hope that everybody else forgets about it soon.
All I need is some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine.
EdDog

Western Sydney Wanderers

Postby EdDog Wed May 04, 2016 7:37 pm

So given the flares and evictions from the gf on Sunday, will the FFA follow through and deduct 3pts next season? Been away with work since Monday so not sure if anything has been said??
I think Gallop came out and said the points deduction will be unlikely because the flare was ignited by a rouge fan and not someone from active support...

Reds

Postby Reds Thu May 05, 2016 6:53 am

Both flares came from the active support bay and the evictions I saw came from the active support?!
This is a perfect chance for an example to be set by the FFA and stamp out the negative shit that the media love to run with.
Reds

Postby Reds Thu May 05, 2016 6:53 am

Not to mention the destroyed seats
Stuckey

Postby Stuckey Thu May 05, 2016 8:33 am

I think Gallop came out and said the points deduction will be unlikely because the flare was ignited by a rouge fan and not someone from active support...

So that's all support has to do now? Claim that a random travelled all the way from Sydney to Adelaide to rip a flare?
Time to Djbate!
bpowell454
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Adlung

Postby bpowell454 Thu May 05, 2016 8:35 am

So that's all support has to do now? Claim that a random travelled all the way from Sydney to Adelaide to rip a flare?
On facebook a lot of the RBB claim that fans from opposing team throw the lit flares into their area to get them in trouble... seriously.
Stuckey

Postby Stuckey Thu May 05, 2016 8:39 am

That actually wouldn't surprise me. I'm sure they'll act like victims, but if they weren't so poorly behaved to begin with they wouldn't be supposedly targeted now.
Time to Djbate!
Reds

Postby Reds Sun May 08, 2016 11:17 am

So Dwayne Russell has chucked an article together about the gf and the fans behaviour thanks to the rbb. The FFA need to ensure there are consequences because it's article like these that detract from the awesome day it was and further alienates the sport.
ZANZIBAR
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Owen Goal

Postby ZANZIBAR Tue May 10, 2016 9:36 pm

Must have the 3 point deduction and 50k fine. And if they keep bringing the game into disrepute, further sanctions like playing behind closed doors. I have had enough of their stupidity ruining the game

Return to “A-Leagues”