Western Sydney Wanderers

Discuss Australia's top-flight football leagues.

Moderator: Moderators Group

Stuckey
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Whichever Toure is playing
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Sha la la lala lalaaaa AUFC!

Western Sydney Wanderers

Postby Stuckey Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:02 pm

Football Federation Australia has moved to lock in ANZ Stadium for this year's A-League grand final should the Western Sydney Wanderers continue their impressive run and earn the right to host the decider.
Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/west ... z3zCK9P9f2
Follow us: @smh on Twitter | sydneymorningherald on Facebook

Good move.
With Pirtek Stadium to be demolished in September, the Wanderers are on the lookout for a new home for at least the next two seasons and are believed to be eyeing a move to Sydney Olympic Park for their big-drawing matches.
I didn't realise that's what was going to happen for Pirtek I thought they were just adding a few thousand seats.
It'll be interesting to see where they go as ANZ Stadium would surely be too massive for average games.
Time to Djbate!
ZANZIBAR
Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Owen Goal

Re: Western Sydney Wanderers

Postby ZANZIBAR Sat Feb 13, 2016 10:37 am

Just read that vicpol will shut down games if flares are lit.
A big fark you to the rbb fans that have once again dragged our game through the mud and made us an easy target for the disgruntled so called sports reporters and bogan anti football people.
This is exactly the point i was making in regards to letting old nsl clubs into the a league. It only takes one incident to hurt our code.
So any wsw fans or victory or aufc or anyone that thinks flares are a good idea, go shoot up an extra heavy dose of rat poison straight into your veins because i heard real ultras do that pre game for an extra buzz for atmosphere.
End rant.
Stuckey

Postby Stuckey Sat Feb 13, 2016 10:54 am

A big fark you to the rbb fans that have once again dragged our game through the mud and made us an easy target for the disgruntled so called sports reporters and bogan anti football people.
This is exactly the point i was making in regards to letting old nsl clubs into the a league. It only takes one incident to hurt our code.
So any wsw fans or victory or aufc or anyone that thinks flares are a good idea, go shoot up an extra heavy dose of rat poison straight into your veins because i heard real ultras do that pre game for an extra buzz for atmosphere.
End rant.
Personally I think that's over kill. If flares were that dangerous then crack down on how easy it is to acquire them. I think the FFAs move of point deductions will work. The people intent on ripping flares are the minority. The vast majority of people in the active fan areas are there to support their club. If member's of their group behave in a way that will hurt their club's chances of success this will put the onus on the fans to police themselves.

Flares create bad press for the game so for that reason I'm against them. But I don't really get how so many other countries seem to deal with them fine but Australians can't. Its like drinking alcohol in public places and partying after 2am. Why is it that basically every other country in the world can handle that but we somehow can't?
Time to Djbate!
mcjules
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Bruce Djite

Postby mcjules Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:51 am

Stuckey do you really believe it's safe to let off something that burns extremely hot and lets off large amounts of smoke in a confined area?

Flares have an important and legitimate use. You can see what's happened with pseudoephedrine regulation, these days it's too hard to get that many who have colds don't bother. Now that may not be life or death, but not having flares with you when you really should could be.
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Sat Feb 13, 2016 1:10 pm

End rant.
Personally I think that's over kill. If flares were that dangerous then crack down on how easy it is to acquire them. I think the FFAs move of point deductions will work. The people intent on ripping flares are the minority. The vast majority of people in the active fan areas are there to support their club. If member's of their group behave in a way that will hurt their club's chances of success this will put the onus on the fans to police themselves.

Flares create bad press for the game so for that reason I'm against them. But I don't really get how so many other countries seem to deal with them fine but Australians can't. Its like drinking alcohol in public places and partying after 2am. Why is it that basically every other country in the world can handle that but we somehow can't?
I found the perception of flares at serie a games were completly different, literally sweet old nonnas with their grand kids a few rows from flares cheering and taking a photo on their phone. But at the same time those lighting the flares were not rebellious teenagers and showed much more restraint.

I have to admit there are more people in australia who lack brain cells who just take things to far which brings the need for tighter rules.

For example there are plenty of countries who have a drinking culture yet do not suffer alcolhol fueled violence issues as we do here.
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
The voice in our head is the final judge
Stuckey

Postby Stuckey Sat Feb 13, 2016 1:34 pm

End rant.

I found the perception of flares at serie a games were completly different, literally sweet old nonnas with their grand kids a few rows from flares cheering and taking a photo on their phone. But at the same time those lighting the flares were not rebellious teenagers and showed much more restraint.

I have to admit there are more people in australia who lack brain cells who just take things to far which brings the need for tighter rules.

For example there are plenty of countries who have a drinking culture yet do not suffer alcolhol fueled violence issues as we do here.
Yeah exactly. While I lived abroad I attended Oktoberfest several times. Its arguably the biggest drinking festival in the world but in the years I attended I only witnessed two fights. One of those fights were two Australians! People could get away with wearing just about anything at Oktoberfest, but if you would be kicked out if you put on a fanatics t-shirt. That company has a terrible reputation for bad behavior.
Time to Djbate!
Stuckey

Postby Stuckey Sat Feb 13, 2016 1:57 pm

Stuckey do you really believe it's safe to let off something that burns extremely hot and lets off large amounts of smoke in a confined area?

Flares have an important and legitimate use. You can see what's happened with pseudoephedrine regulation, these days it's too hard to get that many who have colds don't bother. Now that may not be life or death, but not having flares with you when you really should could be.
Yeah obviously it's not the safest thing to hold in a crowded area. I just see all the hysteria about it reminds me of shark attacks. It could happen, if it did its obviously a terrible situation, but it's incredibly unlikely.
People in the crowd are much more likely to die in a motor vehicle accident on the way home or get struck in the head with a cricket ball at a T20 match. We've seen what a cricket ball can do if it hits someone in the wrong part of the head. But balls smacked into crowds of people very second over.
Flares are ripped at sporting events all over the world if it was so dangerous that people were getting killed or seriously hurt from them regularly I'd expect more would be done internationally to curb it. In Greece and Turkey they rip them at indoor basketball games! I witnessed weddings in Croatia where people set them off!
As I said it's bad for the game so I'd rather not see them.
Time to Djbate!
Interloper

Postby Interloper Sat Feb 13, 2016 5:08 pm

For me the definitive image of flares in Australia is the idiots accidentally setting the Carl Veart banner on fire at his final game
ZANZIBAR
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Owen Goal

Postby ZANZIBAR Sat Feb 13, 2016 7:41 pm

And mvfc game paused due to flares from mvfc fans. So they will now be fined and have points suspended too
blahblah
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: the kit bag guy
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Bound for South Australia

Postby blahblah Sun Feb 14, 2016 10:32 am

We just need to make sure that any local ultra wannabees don't add Adelaide to the list of fines and suspended sentences
ganas
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: CASSIOOOOOOOOOOOO

Postby ganas Wed Feb 17, 2016 3:03 pm

Western Sydney made an interesting point in regard to their away fans letting off flares.

when we play at home, to get into the active supporter bays, identification is required. When travelling to watch your team away from home, anybody can buy into the away area with no identification. it makes it much harder to police. Generally speaking, people in the active bays (at home games) want to help better the game and have no intent of bringing the game into disrepute, hence being okay with providing ID. The idiots who travel to interstate games, think they are bubbled by regular supporters, are the troublemakers.

i've seen it myself when i used to sit in the active areas at hindmarsh. we might not know each other personally, but we all recognise each others faces. when we travel interstate, there are always people we do not recognise who are clearly trying to start trouble and wouldn't last in our active bays.
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Wed Feb 17, 2016 3:13 pm

Western Sydney made an interesting point in regard to their away fans letting off flares.

when we play at home, to get into the active supporter bays, identification is required. When travelling to watch your team away from home, anybody can buy into the away area with no identification. it makes it much harder to police. Generally speaking, people in the active bays (at home games) want to help better the game and have no intent of bringing the game into disrepute, hence being okay with providing ID. The idiots who travel to interstate games, think they are bubbled by regular supporters, are the troublemakers.

i've seen it myself when i used to sit in the active areas at hindmarsh. we might not know each other personally, but we all recognise each others faces. when we travel interstate, there are always people we do not recognise who are clearly trying to start trouble and wouldn't last in our active bays.
Fair point.

Away games people are more likely to have the attitude " lets fark shit up " they get siked up for it and figure they are flying home in the morning so why not.

To get into away bays you just need to have your teams shirt on usually , even if u dont have the right ticket
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
Stuckey

Postby Stuckey Wed Feb 17, 2016 3:54 pm

Fair point.

Away games people are more likely to have the attitude " lets fark shit up " they get siked up for it and figure they are flying home in the morning so why not.

To get into away bays you just need to have your teams shirt on usually , even if u dont have the right ticket
Yeah totally agree with both points. I think with away fans it's a bit of a "boys on tour" sort of situation where people in a sense go harder because they are on holiday. Sort of like how Australians are getting a bad reputation for some people's actions in Bali and similar destinations. I don't really get why just because you're on holiday that allows you to act like a drunken moron.

IMO it's a pretty massive over sight from both security and FFA that the same tight restrictions aren't applied to the away bay. Obviously there is a significant police presence at every away bay though.
Time to Djbate!
Stuckey

Postby Stuckey Wed Mar 30, 2016 2:06 pm

Western Sydney Wanderers today announced that the Club will play out of ANZ Stadium and Spotless Stadium from the 2016/17 season.
Read more at http://www.a-league.com.au/article/west ... vjPZu4S.99

It'll be interesting to see how the fans respond to playing at Spotless. Obviously it should only be for one season so hopefully fans are ok with it.
Looking forward to see what sort of crowd they can pull for the Sydney Derby!
Time to Djbate!
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:57 pm

Western Sydney Wanderers today announced that the Club will play out of ANZ Stadium and Spotless Stadium from the 2016/17 season.
Read more at http://www.a-league.com.au/article/west ... vjPZu4S.99

It'll be interesting to see how the fans respond to playing at Spotless. Obviously it should only be for one season so hopefully fans are ok with it.
Looking forward to see what sort of crowd they can pull for the Sydney Derby!
How many rugby league stadiums are in sydneys west?

Genuine question, would have thought they might have stadiums bidding for their tanancy over summer. Spotless stadium would surely be the fans last choice

Return to “A-Leagues”