HAL Fixtures

Discuss Australia's top-flight football leagues.

Moderator: Moderators Group

Stuckey
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Whichever Toure is playing
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Sha la la lala lalaaaa AUFC!

HAL Fixtures

Postby Stuckey Tue Jan 12, 2016 10:47 am

Speaking to the Daily Football Show, Windley entertained a few strategies in which the A-League could implement to improve fixturing, particularly when up against the Big Bash which has been highly successful.
http://outside90.com/matt-windley-more- ... -fixtures/

Some fantastic ideas there. I agree the fixtures are getting stale.

I think 5 games on a public holiday would be fantastic. Start in NZ and finish at Perth.

I don't think he's saying re-invent the wheel but a few changes here and there could offer benefits. Taking advantage of people being on holidays would work IMO.
I think waiting till the end of Jan to offer free tickets is a reactionary decision based on the BBL and one that was done too late.
Time to Djbate!
EdDog
Proud Adelaide United Supporter

Re: HAL Fixtures

Postby EdDog Tue Jan 12, 2016 5:58 pm

On FTA and a game every night of the week is a great idea for the BBL. Would be good if the A-League could replicate it.

As great as Fox Sports are, they are kind of holding us back from going mainstream which is what we really need.
ZANZIBAR
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Owen Goal

Postby ZANZIBAR Tue Jan 12, 2016 7:55 pm

On FTA and a game every night of the week is a great idea for the BBL. Would be good if the A-League could replicate it.

As great as Fox Sports are, they are kind of holding us back from going mainstream which is what we really need.
If fox does not have the a league then i would drop it straight away. No epl either and it would lose all football subscribed fans
the 2nd james

Postby the 2nd james Wed Jan 13, 2016 7:36 am

big bash is subsided by CA using their lucrative international cricket contracts in the hope it will take off and generate a return later down the track.
Stuckey

Postby Stuckey Wed Jan 13, 2016 7:43 am

big bash is subsided by CA using their lucrative international cricket contracts in the hope it will take off and generate a return later down the track.
If they keep getting the crowds they get I would say it will.
Time to Djbate!
EdDog

Postby EdDog Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:13 am

If fox does not have the a league then i would drop it straight away. No epl either and it would lose all football subscribed fans
Sure, coverage would be poorer and we would lose people like yourself (and fair enough).

But for the game to grow and get big crowds it really needs to be mainstream and FTA and a decent marketing campaign brings that.
the 2nd james

Postby the 2nd james Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:39 am

big crowds are possible right now all you need to do is lower ticket prices. last time i checked our memberships were the second most expensive in the league we're not trying to get big crowds we're trying to make money. seeing the player's wages are paid for by the FFA using the fox tv deal there is no reason for ticket prices to be so expensive the players aren't seeing the dollars. if the FFA wanted to encourage bigger crowds they could give a graded distribution of that fox money to the clubs based on ratings/crowds, this would encourage clubs to price their market for maximum crowds and pursue a style of play that is exciting to watch.
Stuckey

Postby Stuckey Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:17 am

big crowds are possible right now all you need to do is lower ticket prices. last time i checked our memberships were the second most expensive in the league we're not trying to get big crowds we're trying to make money. seeing the player's wages are paid for by the FFA using the fox tv deal there is no reason for ticket prices to be so expensive the players aren't seeing the dollars. if the FFA wanted to encourage bigger crowds they could give a graded distribution of that fox money to the clubs based on ratings/crowds, this would encourage clubs to price their market for maximum crowds and pursue a style of play that is exciting to watch.
Considering the number of members AU has compared to other clubs with cheaper memberships and lower numbers I don't think that is a serious issue. Infact AU's membership count is the highest its ever been.
Last season Petrillo mentioned that a few games with bad weather hurt crowd numbers. The WSW game at Hindmarsh apparently had 14k tickets sold but less than 10k showed due to poor weather, or games being scheduled for 4:30pm on 40c days. As this article mentions over the holiday period having games on later could be a draw card with Sunday night games etc. The other issue I feel this season is Gombau leaving, but I feel time (and good results continuing) will heal that wound. I feel each club has their own reasons why crowds are the way they are but I believe offering the outer stands more coverage from the elements and not scheduling games at the hottest part of the day in the middle of summer would boost crowds significantly.
Time to Djbate!
the 2nd james

Postby the 2nd james Mon Jan 18, 2016 1:07 am

i'm not sure what membership numbers other clubs have but if we're one of the most expensive in the league that's a choice to prioritise dollars over crowds. All the WSW game shows is the support base is there to attend smaller games if they're incentivised enough, cost would be one of those factors (obviously quality of opponent would be too).

If i was in charge and the players aren't seeing the stadium revenue i'd use it to build the club's base. Keep general admission prices high but lower membership prices and restrict memberships to two lots of 5 games and one 4 game memberships. That way you get 17k x3 = 51k memberships in a 17k stadium.
Stuckey

Postby Stuckey Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:15 am

i'm not sure what membership numbers other clubs have but if we're one of the most expensive in the league that's a choice to prioritise dollars over crowds. All the WSW game shows is the support base is there to attend smaller games if they're incentivised enough, cost would be one of those factors (obviously quality of opponent would be too).

If i was in charge and the players aren't seeing the stadium revenue i'd use it to build the club's base. Keep general admission prices high but lower membership prices and restrict memberships to two lots of 5 games and one 4 game memberships. That way you get 17k x3 = 51k memberships in a 17k stadium.
I'm not exactly sure what you are saying here? So if I wanted to attend every AU home game would I need to buy 3 different memberships?
Time to Djbate!
bpowell454
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Adlung

Postby bpowell454 Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:49 am

I'd like to see them try a simultaneous kick off for the final round. With foxtel having plenty of sports channels and the possibility of the red button to choose games it wouldn't be that hard to do. Could be very exciting depending on how close things are. The down side is a loss in ratings I guess, but it might make the premiers plate more special.
Stuckey

Postby Stuckey Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:51 am

I'd like to see them try a simultaneous kick off for the final round. With foxtel having plenty of sports channels and the possibility of the red button to choose games it wouldn't be that hard to do. Could be very exciting depending on how close things are. The down side is a loss in ratings I guess, but it might make the premiers plate more special.
I'm a fan of anything making the premiers plate more special.
Time to Djbate!
the 2nd james

Postby the 2nd james Mon Jan 18, 2016 1:07 pm

I'm not exactly sure what you are saying here? So if I wanted to attend every AU home game would I need to buy 3 different memberships?
without being too nazi about it you'd limit each person to one membership, which builds the amount of people connected to the club, of course you're going from less than probably 5k memberships now to 50k so you'd get much less revenue per a seat but it's an investment for the future.
Stuckey

Postby Stuckey Mon Jan 18, 2016 1:11 pm

So fans would only be able to attend 5 games max per season?
Time to Djbate!
bpowell454
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Adlung

Postby bpowell454 Mon Jan 18, 2016 1:23 pm

Seems an odd way to treat current members. It seems completely illogical unless we had TOO many members.

Return to “A-Leagues”